A somewhat strange Scale Victory....

Jester
on 10/26/17 10:34 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I'm currently 19 months post-RNY and have been maintaining around 152lbs for the last 10 months. Recently I had a couple of weeks where I was traveling and was less rigid about weighing/measuring my portions. I still ate basically on plan, but was a little more lax than usual. Therefore, when I got home and back into my routine, and saw that I was up around 156lbs I wasn't shocked A bit annoyed at myself, yes, but not shocked.

Although I realize this isn't a ton of weight, it was my highest weight since last December and I was determined to buckle down and get this weight off. For some strange reason, it seemed A LOT harder to quickly drop these 4-5lbs than it had been to "recalibrate" in the past. I had my "18 month" checkup at the surgeon's office today and had managed to get back down to 151 as of this morning, so I was pleased with that.

Well, I get to his office mid-morning and jump on the scale (with clothes on mind you) and I weigh 143!!! My freaking scale appears to be broken LOL! Apparently that extra weight may not have really been extra weight at all, and it was coming off faster than I realized.

Maybe I should have considered this as my scale has been acting wonky lately - just exhibiting some bizarre behavior. I will fire up the old scale and see if it confirms the doctor's equipment, but I have a suspicion my Aria is on the fritz.

NanaB73
on 10/26/17 10:55 am

That is awesome! As a newbie, looking ahead to surgery next month and having some fears about what this will look like 19 months down the road, this is super encouraging! Thank you for sharing!

White Dove
on 10/27/17 7:20 am - Warren, OH

I have two scales and use the Garmin Index everyday, but if something seems strange, I check with the other scale to see if my weight matches. If both show a four pound regain, then I know it is right. If one does not show the regain, I know it is time for new batteries.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Jester
on 10/27/17 7:44 am
RNY on 03/21/16

I think in my case, it maybe time for a new scale. My Aria randomly turns on when I'm in the bathroom (this maybe why the first set of batteries lasted over a year and the second set lasted a couple of months). Sometimes it just gets stuck "thinking". And now, it looks like it maybe inaccurate. Still need to do a side-by-side test, but I'm assuming the doctor's scale is accurate. If their scale was under-weighing everyone by 10 lbs, I think they'd probably pick up on it relatively quickly in their maintenance patients.

White Dove
on 10/27/17 12:05 pm - Warren, OH

Aria is very accurate until the battery wears down. My index scale turns on when I am walking by it. They are very sensitive.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Erin T.
on 10/27/17 11:42 am
VSG on 01/17/17

Check to make sure nothing is sitting under your Aria. I had this happen as well! I came home from a vacation where I was 136-ish before I left and it said 131. I don't want to lose so I panicked a little and got on again and I was 130. Got on again and was 128, got on again and was 127. I picked the scale up and there was a hair tie under the corner of it. As soon as I removed that and repositioned the scale, all was well!

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

Most Active