Understanding my iron labs

gyverlady
on 1/1/18 7:01 pm

The voice of reason! I'm already admitted and on my 3rd unit. They've called in a hematologist/Oncology. They will be here tomorrow. Will get 1 more unit and get another h&h drawn. They did draw their own labs which I expected as they needed them in their system.

Shannon S.
on 1/1/18 7:20 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

I'm glad you are there. You will likely feel like a new woman once transfused. Sorry you are going through this, but happy to know you are getting treatment.

gyverlady
on 1/2/18 8:34 am

Got 4 units, will be getting 1 more. They want my level above 8. The hematologist came in and said with my low RBC, WBC, and platelets, I probably had some more nutritional deficiencies, so he's checking my B12 among other things. Did get my first dose of IV iron today.

Amy R.
on 1/2/18 2:49 pm

Thanks for checking back in. Glad they went ahead and admitted you until you're all fixed.

I'm sure you know you dodged a bullet there, and in a big way. Hopefully once they've got your tank filled up they will monitor you closely so it never gets that low again.

Shannon S.
on 1/2/18 5:40 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Wow you are really going through it! You will feel so much better soon!

gyverlady
on 1/3/18 10:20 pm

I already feel a lot better. Was discharged today. Had 2 doses of IV iron, will be going to the oncology clinic for a dose tomorrow, another dose in one week, then back in a month for labs. And the hospitalist wasn't going to discharge me until she was sure I'd be able to get the rest of the iron doses I'd need. The doctors and staff were so amazing. The hematologist also told me whether I had insurance or not, he was going to make sure I got the iron doses. they said I could get all the blood in the world, but it won't amount to anything if we don't get my iron levels up. After this, they'll be monitoring my levels once a year and I'll probably get iv iron once a year for the rest of my life. To be able to feel as good as I do, to be able to walk through the store without getting short of breath, I'll take it! NOW, maybe I can get the rest of my weight loss jump started! I have 50 more pounds to go!

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/18 11:37 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm glad they are getting you fixed up. This was pretty serious.

It also really highlights how important it is to stay on top of yearly labs, EVERY YEAR after WLS. Some of these deficiencies take years to show up -- just when we think we're immune to vitamin and mineral troubles.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Shannon S.
on 1/4/18 3:31 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

So glad they are getting to the bottom of your issue. Now don't forget to stay on top of it because these kind of things don't usually resolve without ongoing treatment. Glad you are on the road to recovery!

hollykim
on 12/31/17 6:50 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On December 30, 2017 at 11:36 PM Pacific Time, gyverlady wrote:

I ordered labs myself through Walk In Lab and had them done yesterday, since my insurance hasn't taken effect (effective 1/1/2018) so I paid for them myself. I have my results and they are not good, but I need some help understanding some of them. Ferritin is 4. Serum Iron is 15, Iron saturation is 3. My TIBC is 435 and UIBC is 420. Is it normal for the TIBC and UIBC to be normal with the rest is so low? I'm not even going to mention what my Hematocrit and Hemoglobin are, they are critical, and I"m trying to hang in there til my insurance kicks in and will go to the ER. I know I"ll get blood transfusions, and am hoping they will give me IV iron while I'm in there. I'm also searching for a PCP with knowledge of gastric bypass and I think I've found someone, but as a first time patient, it'll take me awhile to get in, so it'll be the ER for me.

you will not be given an iron infusion at the ER. They might give you a blood transfusion, but I doubt it since, the reason for your low ferritin is a chronic or long term issue not an acute or emergently occurring issue, like a gun shot.

They will likely refer you to a hematologist, however.

Amy R.
on 12/31/17 10:31 am, edited 12/31/17 2:31 am

edited: didn't mean to write so much. TL/DR: Be careful waiting until tomorrow to get help. Also, you'll get much better treatment in the ER if you've been seen by a physician and aren't relying completely on self diagnoses.

Glad you ordered those labs. But with results this low you must have been feeling pretty bad for quite a while. Was there a reason you didn't get tested sooner other than the insurance issue?

I've been where you are, kinda. Last time I needed blood it took FIVE units (five bags) given in the ER to get me even close to normal. Adult females in good health have between 10 and 12 units so I was way close to bad things happening. I've been having iron infusions for the last few years. They finally put in a port catheter and I love that thing.

Saying this because I do understand how tired and crappy you must be feeling today.

But. No ER is going to take your results and just act on those. They will do their own tests, even if they are doing the exact same ones you've done. Dr. Google and WebMD as well as most other self-diagnoses are looked upon pretty unfavorably in the ER. To put it nicely, they don't have time for that s*it. And they don't particularly love patients coming in with a laundry list of things they should be doing according to you. Not trying to be rude or mean but I promise that is a fact.

You will be treated with more urgency if you can get a real doc, even from a walk in clinic, to confirm your findings and officially send you to the ER. Transfusions and infusions are performed there, or at least I've had them there, but many factors are going to affect what they will do for you. So many that I'm not going to address them except to tell you that going to a walk in clinic - basically being seen by a doc - is only going to help you.

Waiting for insurance is a real thing but please be careful. You could pass out very easily and you don't want to hit your head on something if you do. Don't be alone until you get this fixed. Don't drive. Don't shower without someone at home just in case. I never felt "that bad" and I hated having to do these types of things. Believe me when I tell you that it is critical you are not alone.

Be especially watchful with your heart. It is one of the things that can go if your blood levels are that low. Screw the insurance if you are having palpitations or chest pain and get to the hospital asap.

I hope you are able to just rest today and do whatever you need to do first thing tomorrow. If you're determined about the ER you can actually sign in at one minute after midnight tonight if that's when your coverage starts. Just be aware that you might have a crazy long wait especially if you've self-diagnosed.

Please just be careful. Try to drink lots of water so you stay hydrated. And let us know how you are doing when you have a moment. I'm actually scared for you because there is a point when waiting even just 24 hours to get help can be a dangerous thing. Good luck.

Most Active