Am I giving up too soon?

stacyrg
on 3/15/18 10:26 am
VSG on 05/12/14

I know I'm late to this party, and I haven't read the entire thread but there's a point I want to raise. It's something my surgeon discussed with me. He wanted to make sure my arbitrary goal weight wasn't something that would turn out to be a moving target, going lower and lower on the scale. His questions to me. When you hit XXX what is going to be different for you? If you hit XXX, are you going to be happy or are you going to move the target even lower? At the time they were very concerned that I'd developed another eating disorder . . . because lets face it, it you are MO, you most likely didn't get there without an eating disorder. Words and phrases like "further restrict," "I exercise more to counteract what I ate," "I got out of bed and onto the treadmill" were triggers to them, and they made me seek help. I'm not saying that's where you're heading, but your comment that "I don't want to forever be chasing ideal numbers" resonated with me. I don't have any answers, just raising a concern that was raised with me.

Erin T.
on 3/15/18 11:59 am
VSG on 01/17/17

I worry about this because, for me, getting to goal was easier than for some and everytime I see a new low I feel compelled to maintain it. I feel anxiety about gaining even after having a DEXA scan and having the data to back up my original goal vs a new arbitrary lower number.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 3/15/18 5:32 pm
VSG on 03/28/17

If I knew I could maintain in the mid-120s, i'd be so happy to stay there. But the feeling that regain is almost inevitable and weight will always be a struggle makes me want to get as small as possible. That said, I'm not restricting to the level that I would need to in order to lose more weight and only time will tell if I can maintain my weight as is. It is all scary stuff.

Most Active