Am I giving up too soon?

Erin T.
on 3/11/18 5:04 pm
VSG on 01/17/17

Can you clarify what you mean by imperfect? There's imperfect and then there's holy **** reign it in. I think maintenance is a balance. For me, that means 97% protein + veggies (actually more like 95% protein, 2% veggies) and then the other 3% includes off plan eating.

It's never advisable to eat off plan, but the realistic view is that it's going to happen occasionally because we're human. I think, for me, the most important part is to track everything and be accountable. I also tend to err so hard on the side of protein consumption that if a surprise off-track item ends up in my diet I have room for the calories and I still have blown my protein goals out of the park.

VSG: 1/17/17

5'7" HW: 283 SW: 229 CW: 135-140 GW: 145

Pre-op: 53 M1: 22 M2: 12 M3: 12 M4: 8 M5: 10 M6: 11 M7: 5 M8: 6 M9-M13: 15-ish

LBL/BL w/ Fat Transfer 1/29/18

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 7:01 am
VSG on 03/28/17

I honestly don't know if my imperfect eating is in oh **** territory or if it's fine for maintenance. I eat whatever I want in whatever amounts and I don't measure or track. I often keep to an 8hr eating window but not always. I make low carb choices 95% of the time but definitely go overboard on low carb treats and grain free granola and I often graze. I weigh myself a few times per week and try to eat less when in the higher 120s. This seems to be working to maintain my weight but I don't feel like I have a regain window. I think I need to buckle down and lose the last 5-10 lbs. Ugh.

Amy R.
on 3/12/18 11:32 am

My only question would be: Is your "imperfect eating" the same pattern as the eating that got you into WLS range? Because if you're back to those behaviors you probably do need to change things up and concentrate more. They'll work for you for now - but you already know that eating pattern will not be helpful in the long term.

I would really look into that possibility. You don't want to eat in any way shape or form that is consistent with what brought you here.

For the record, I'm certain you'll get it figured out and do just fine. It's good that you're looking at this now, and not after a 30 pound regain.

Hang in and do what you need to do. You probably already know what that is.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 5:40 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

What does imperfect eating look like to you though? It is different for all of us. Imperfect eating for me is going over my calorie amount, which isn't often. To you, or some, imperfect eating might be having a piece of candy, or chips, or whatever it might be. That is not imperfect eating to me. Sure, it's not a healthy choice, but if I eat a piece of candy, it fits in my daily calorie amount. I put everything on MFP that I put in my mouth no matter how bad the choice is and I don't feel guilty about the choice. For me, my biggest issue was guilt at my heaviest. I felt guilty for eating when I knew I shouldn't, so I ate more because I felt guilty. That guilt and that emotional need for food has vanished from my life even during this last week which have been the hardest I've gone through in a very long time. I don't feel like I'm on a diet, or restricting myself, I am just living my life and keeping track of the things I put in my body.

catwoman7
on 3/11/18 1:22 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I'm sure you could get to 118, but if your body wants to be 124-128, it may be a constant battle to stay at 118. I've gone through that myself. I want to be 140, and I was at 140 at my nadir, but now I'm in the 146-148 range. I'm pretty sure I could get back down to 140 if I dropped my daily calories to below 1500, but it's challenging enough to stay at 1500 these days. Besides, I'm within my normal BMI range (albeit at the high end), and my fat percentage (according to my DEXA scan) is 22, which is on the low side for women. So this isn't a bad weight for me. So anyway, yes, you can probably get there - but the question is, are you willing to do what you have to do to get (and stay) there. For me, I'm not sure I am. You may be different.

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

Ashley in Belgium
on 3/11/18 7:26 pm - Belgium
RNY on 08/08/13

Imperfect eating at one year out should be your red flag IMO, not so much the scale.

Can you get to 118? Sure. Of course you can. And if you need to get there for your head, then I say do it. I am 5'4 and have weighed 113 at certain times for long stretches since my RNY revision 4.5 years ago. I can also maintain there, which for me, isn't a good thing. It makes me feel weak and frail and I look old and am cold all the time when I at that weight. It also messes with my headspace since I then fret if the scale creeps up to 120. But that is me and my story... Now, I choose to weigh and maintain in the mid 120's so that i look and feel stronger. My Docs would like me to be in the 130's if not 140 so that I have some weight to lose when needed, which is ridiculously ironic, but true none the less.

I think the most important thing you should concentrate on right now is to establish eating routines that keep you healthy and in your weight zone. Routines that you can live with for the rest of your life. If you are doing that, your body will let you know what the number on the scale is and you can then play with what it takes to keep you there.

In my experience, having arbitrary goals that are difficult to maintain years out just set us up to fail. Only you can know if you are "giving" up or if you've found your sweet spot for the long haul of post WLS life. You are doing great, don't forget to enjoy your success!

Revision Band to RNY 8/8/13 5'4" HW 252 Lbs / SW 236 Lb / GW 135 lb / CW 127

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 7:09 am
VSG on 03/28/17

Thank you for this thoughtful reply. I really don't know if my current way of eating is a routine that can maintain my weight for life or if I'm destined to regain if I don't restrict more or count calories.

I eat whatever I want in whatever amounts and I don't measure or track. I often keep to an 8hr eating window but not always. I make low carb choices 95% of the time but definitely go overboard on low carb treats and grain free granola and I often graze. I weigh myself a few times per week and try to eat less when in the higher 120s.

As a long term maintainer - does this sound like sustainable maintenance or a red flag? Do you measure and track your food to maintain?

VSGAnn2014
on 3/12/18 11:32 am, edited 3/12/18 4:33 am
VSG on 08/14/14

I'm 3.5 years post-op (had VSG on August 18, 2014). Since 2.5 years pre-op I've ALWAYS planned my daily meals and tracked on My Fitness Pal. Thanks to that tool, I've learned so very much -- from what my food triggers are (specific foods, emotional stressors, times of day, etc.) to how I can improve my nutrition (I'm now eating 8 daily veggies and fruits and more plant protein than I did during Years 1 and 2) to being able to leave any overeating "accidents" in the past and not agonize or guilt myself over them.

As a result, my weight ever since I hit maintenance about a year and a half post-op has been astonishingly stable. I've had no regain other than the occasional 3-4 pounds after a two-week vacation or Christmas holidays, and that weight takes only a couple of weeks to lose.

And needless to say, I weigh and record my weight on MFP every morning.

I have a theory that by keeping my weight so stable for so long that my body actually resists gaining because it's built a new set point. But that's purely my interpretation of what I see happening here.

BTW, I don't graze. I really don't. IMHO, that's a very self-destructive behavior for WLS patients to tolerate in themselves. Sorry. I'm a hardass about that one. ;)

Best wishes to you!

ANN 5'5", AGE 74, HW 235.6 (BMI 39.2), SW 216, GW 150, CW 132, BMI 22

POUNDS LOST: Pre-op -20, M1 -10, M2 -11, M3 -10, M4 -10, M5 -7, M6 -5, M7 -6, M8 -4, M9 -4,
NEXT 10 MOS. -12, TOTAL -100 LBS.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 5:42 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

I always plan my meals the night before, and grocery shop for what I know I'll use. Honestly, it makes the day so dang easy! I cook enough of what I want for my work week, log it, and follow it. No worry or fuss over what I'm going to eat that day.

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/18 5:45 pm
VSG on 01/12/17

That is definitely going to get you into trouble. Eating whatever you want and how much you want is going to hurt you eventually because you're going to be able to eat more and more as time goes on. I do not push my sleeve's limits and stick to 2.5-3 oz servings of meat only (other foods, depends on the food. Yogurt tends to be higher oz, but it's yogurt lol). Even so, I know I can put more into me if I tried to. I don't try to. Get into the habit of paying attention to your food. You've done amazing and come so far, you can make good habits no problem.

Most Active