ShandosMom
on 9/20/18 9:47 am
VSG on 09/28/18

Hello all. I am new to the forums and am really glad that I found this link.

I had a lap band surgery done about 4 years ago and I am now scheduled to see a surgeon to have it removed and have the sleeve surgery instead. I am having so many issues almost from the start with the band. I can hardly eat, I have constant re flux and the night coughs. Got so bad that last night I was throwing up in my sleep and I guess some went down my wind pipe almost choking me. My throat is raw today from all the acid and all because I ate at 6:30 when Hubby got home. Even though I lost my meal, I guess there was some still down there. Enough to make me sick all night. Has anyone else has this issue. I have lost weight - down from 509 to 360 this morning, But I honestly don't know why I'm not a 150 lbs. I can hardly keep anything down and it has been like this a very long time. Ive had my gallbladder removed, and I have had a stomach and throat scope. Surgeon said it all looks good except for some esophagus erosion form all the vomiting and re flux.

I am hoping that the sleeve will be the tool that helps me get the rest of this weight off. I would love to be able to eat fruit and vegetables, but right now my meals are mostly protein drinks, an occasional bowl of cheerios and soups. Anything else that I eat comes back up.

Please tell me that I am not alone and that this does happen. Im scared of another surgery but I know that I can keep going on like this!

ladygodiva1228
on 9/20/18 11:49 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15

Welcome.

I do want to warn you that if you are having reflux with the band then the sleeve really isn't the best choice for a revision. I have seen to many people that went from band to sleeve end up having to revise again to the bypass due to the acid build up in their sleeve. You really don't want to be on a PPI for the rest of your life.

I originally wanted the sleeve when I was getting my band out, but due to the history of reflux with the band I opted for the bypass best thing ever. I woke up from surgery reflux free.

Just something to think about.

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

ShandosMom
on 9/20/18 1:03 pm
VSG on 09/28/18

Thank you for the information. I will be seeing the surgeon on the 28th, so from what I hear he is very good at looking at the whole picture. I think that my band is either eroded into my stomach or that it has slipped. I mean I really cant eat anything and that includes what my friend calls "Cheat foods", ice cream or cheese dip.

I will look up the other forum on those who are having revisions. I just am so tired of all the bad side effects since I got the band. I really should have done a bit more research on the first surgeon to. They did not provide not one days of support after the surgery. No groups, no forums nothing except call if you have a problem. Well sometimes you feel like a fool when its something not normal but could be so minor. I hope this surgeon is better. From what I have read, it sounds like night and day.

Thanks for taking the time to read and reply :) Loving the wealth of information here!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/20/18 12:55 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Welcome!

I've seen a LOT of people with bands needing revisions in the 6 years I've been on OH. There's a forum specifically for people seeking revision, you may find some more help and advice there:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/revision/

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

(deactivated member)
on 9/21/18 12:24 am
VSG on 01/12/17

Welcome! I'm sorry you are struggling so much with the band. My grandmother has the lap band and is going through very similar issues. Her reflux is out of control and she is unable to eat much of anything other than slider foods like chips, ice cream, junk food essentially.

Like mentioned, bad reflux is still an issue with the sleeve for many, so maybe your surgeon will be able to discuss that with you some more.

Please stay with us and post on the boards here! Join in on the menu boards too!

Shannon S.
on 9/21/18 6:06 pm
VSG on 11/07/17

Be very careful! What you describe (choking on your stomac acid) can lead to aspiration, which can cause pneumonia, or worse, it can kill you!

Has your fill been removed while you are in the waiting period? Seriously what you describe is dangerous.

Glad you are making moves to get that nightmare out of you. I also had the band. Horrible horrible surgery. I was blinded by the initial weight loss success, but looking back it was a poor surgery.

The VSG was the right move for me. I did it 12 years after my band removal. I swore off WLS, and was scared much like yourself, but now I wish I had done it sooner.

Sending you happy positive thought. Much luck in your decision making process.

ShandosMom
on 9/22/18 7:45 pm
VSG on 09/28/18

Hi Shannon.

I haven't had my fluid removed I only have 3 ccs. I have had so much trouble since getting this thing, I didnt get anymore adjustments. I used to be able to eat, but as time goes on there are less and less things I can get down.

I'll ask the surgeon to drain me friday. That might help. A lot of people are suggesting a RNY cause apparently the band causes damage. I plan on talking to the surgeon and see what he thinks. Just want this out, but so scared that once I can eat again..I'll gain back what I've lost.

Thanks for the positive vibes :)

Shannon S.
on 9/23/18 6:28 am
VSG on 11/07/17

Yeah because I waited 12 years between surgeries i could tell that I didn't have reflux and other damage. If I were you I think I would consider RNY too just because of all the reflux you are having.

Your doc did should have drained you at the 1st report of all these issues. You will definitely feel better.

Kathy S.
on 9/24/18 11:22 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Most Active