My VSG/RNY Weight Loss Surgery Story

AshleyFaith
on 1/24/19 11:28 am
VSG on 11/27/18

I've been off this site for quite a while and now that life is returning to normalcy, I wanted to return and share my story.

I was scheduled for VSG on November 27, 2018. I did pre-op testing whi*****luded and EGD the day before and was told I had a small hiatal hernia which would be simple to repair with my surgery. My surgeon told me how confident he was that I would be successful and this put all my nerves at ease as this would be my first time going under the knife.

I had the surgery on 11/27 and woke up in my hospital room. The pain wasn't bad but I was very drowsy still from the anesthesia. I was told that the surgery was successful and anticipated discharge the following day. However, as soon as I began to drink anything, I would throw it up. I was given nausea medicine and told this was nothing unusual and to take my time. Well, that one night stay turned into 6 days and nights (of constant nausea/vomiting) before I was able to tolerate holding down liquids on my own. I went home and thought things were finally looking up.

After 4 days of being home, the nausea and vomiting returned and I went back to the hospital. I was told I was dehydrated and my surgery admitted me to perform another EGD to see what was causing my symptoms. After the EGD, I was told I had a stricture that formed in my sleeve that was not allowing anything to pass through. I don't know how common this is or if this has happened to anyone else because I knew no one who had went through this before. I was taken into surgery the next morning for a Sleeve Revision and was admitted another 5 days. I was holding down liquids, able to move around well, and had little to no pain. I was discharged home only to return the next week because of nausea and vomiting again.

This time was more severe than before. I would take a sip of water and it would come right back up. I even threw up on an empty stomach. I just knew something wasn't right and returned to the hospital. After a series of tests, I was told that my stomach was not emptying into my intestine. The opening to my small intestines was completely shut closed, not allowing anything to pass through. At this point, I was told my surgeon that my best option would be conversion to Gastric bypass which is what I did.

It has been a month since my last surgery and things I am finally feeling better. This experience took so much out of me, mentally and physically. I returned to work and the gym last week and still feel weak at times but I know my body still needs time to adjust to the reduced calorie intake. I've been cleared for a full diet and am doing well with it( besides most meats). I still drink a protein shake daily to meet my protein needs.

I just wanted to share my story because this site was so helpful to me before surgery to hear your stories and wanted to share mine.

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/25/19 12:16 am

I am glad to see you are doing better. Looks like yout insides were scaring more than average. Having RNY is not so bad long term, and you can be successful and comfortable. Diets are similar, and since they removed most of your stomach, you may even be less hungry long term, than if you had started RNY. Plus no remnant stomach - no possibility to get ulcers there.

You would have to be much more proactive with vitamins and minerals supplements. No slacking.

Watch for symptoms of stricture in the stoma, that may happen, but that is often an easy fix, dilation during EGD.

You body went through an ordeal. Take time and be kind to yourself.

Hala

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 1/25/19 5:53 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

So sorry you had such a rough start. It sounds like the worst is behind you and you can move forward with losing weight. We look forward to seeing your updates and watching you melt away

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

Kristi T.
on 1/25/19 9:57 am - MT
VSG on 02/09/16

I am so sorry for what you went through, but am so glad you are doing better! Each day will get a little easier, hang in there, you are doing great!

Most Active