NEED HELP...ANYONE HAVE Rue-N-Y after VSG??

PeggyCA10
on 3/3/19 11:00 pm

Interested in hearing from people who had a VSGand went back for a Ru-N- Y procedure. I am considering it. I was only successful in losing 83 Lbs. Then slowly gained back 25 lbs. over next few years. Having trouble staying away from foods with sugar. I have diabetes and my A1c is currently 7.9 and am on insulin. I am considering going back for Ru-N- Y. Thoughts suggestions?

Kathy S.
on 3/4/19 5:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

As someone that had surgery in 2004 and lost over 200 pounds, maintaining very well... my best advice is dive into why it didn't work the first time around. Go back to your surgeon and make sure there is not a medical reason you are gaining. If not, then you have to find out why you are eating what you are, gaining and make changes. If you don't, it doesn't matter what surgery you have. The "tool" works if you work the "tool". I know that sounds preachy but in 2015 I suffered a big personal loss and for the first time gained 60 pounds. Once I got back to the basics the weight came off in 2017 just like it did in 2004. I worked the tool and it worked for me. Here is a list I made for me that I share with others that helped me. Reach out anytime, I am here for you

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein. If you didn't make a Weight Loss Surgery bucket list when you first had surgery do it now. GREAT reminder of all the things you can enjoy in life after losing weight.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. I found once I started carrying one of the metal bottles of water to keep it cold I drank water all day.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. Grab a cart and walk all the isles at your local box store. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group. Come here on OH daily for support and participate in one of the food threads. It helps you be accountable and also great ideas for food prep.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

PeggyCA10
on 3/4/19 8:36 am

Kathy S.

THANK YOU SO MUCH for taking the time to read my post and replying to me. EVERYTHING you wrote is exactly what I needed to hear. Your so right on. I am a RN, I KNOW this stuff!!! It's so basic. I need to go back to the beginning and work the program! Purging the house, WATER, journalin, WALKING to start with. ANYTHING that makes me move! I don't like gyms. Never has been my thing. I have a shoulder issue and severe arthritis in my left ankle. I just need to tape my ankle up and start walking even if it hurts. I need to PREPARE my foods so I always have something healthy at my fingertips. I need to get back to only eating at 8-12-5. If I am starving I need to have some protein and raw veggies. I KNOW THIS STUFF! I never drink alcoho , never smoked, never drank soda (don't like it) I do love water and ice tea. I have never used anything in my tea, hot or cold. If I have a cup of coffee on a rare occasion its black. I need to stay on my antidepressants. I don't need a RNY, I NEED to work the program. Use the tool that was given to me. I am not sure how I got so off track. I think when my sister died and I fell into a deep depression I just got lost. I just retired from nursing last July after 38 yrs. The stress just wasn't worth it anymore and my body was breaking down. I am not starting tomorrow I am starting at lunch TODAY!! Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted. ??

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/19 7:16 am
RNY on 08/05/19

If you are having a hard time controlling your eating, what's to keep you from making bad choices after a second surgery? Not everyone dumps after RNY, so you can't count on that to keep you away from foods with sugar.

Your best bet is probably to get your head on straight and make the most of the surgery you've got, rather than assuming a second surgery will be a magical fix.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

PeggyCA10
on 3/4/19 8:40 am

YOUR SO RIGHT!!! I just need to clean out the house, get my head back in the game, get the right foods in the house, go back to journaling, and keep moving! Drink my water! Thanks for your reply! Just need a good kick in the a**!!!

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/4/19 10:34 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You can do this! Good luck!!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

kairosgrammy
on 3/4/19 7:49 am
RNY on 10/17/17
On March 4, 2019 at 7:00 AM Pacific Time, PeggyCA10 wrote:

Interested in hearing from people who had a VSGand went back for a Ru-N- Y procedure. I am considering it. I was only successful in losing 83 Lbs. Then slowly gained back 25 lbs. over next few years. Having trouble staying away from foods with sugar. I have diabetes and my A1c is currently 7.9 and am on insulin. I am considering going back for Ru-N- Y. Thoughts suggestions?

I basically agree with what has been said. You need to solve the eating issue before you consider another surgery. However, I will say that 1 pro for the surgery is your diabetes. RNY has a better track record with diabetes but remember, the surgery isn't a cure. Some people even eat sweets when they do dump. I don't. Dumping, to me, is more unpleasant than not having the sweets. So basically, you will still have to get the eating right or you will still be symptomatic for type 2 diabetes.

Surgeon: Dr. David Carroll Surgery Date: 3/17/2017 Hospital: Merritt Health River Oaks Hospital

Height: 5'2" HW: 331 lbs SW: 279 lbs GW: 130 (originally, I changed to 140) CW: 130 to 135 ish

Biggest Goal: To Be Healthy in everything I do!!! To make healthy choices always!!! To just embrace HEALTH each and every day for the rest of my Life!!!

PeggyCA10
on 3/4/19 8:48 am

Thanks! Your right of course. My diabetes was so out of control this last year. A1c was so high. It's down to 7.9 now and I am going to clean out the whole house of everything that's not healthy, get the carbs out of the house! Husband is going to have to go back to eating his sweets AWAY from the house!! Till I can get my butt back on the program. I need to start journaling again for sure and start moving more. It's so hard to stay on track when you fall into deep depression. This last year has been such a daily struggle just to get through each day. Today is a new day and time to start!!

PeggyCA10
on 3/4/19 8:52 am

Your right. Today is a new beginning! ?

nursebonnie
on 3/7/19 7:53 am
VSG on 08/19/14

Peggy,

I was in the same place. Regained 20 pounds. Contemplated just getting RNY. Finally marched my butt to my bariatric surgeon. She RX'd Topomax for the carb/sugar. I went back to basics. Protein first. Weigh, measure, journal on My Fitness Pal. Dense protein and I cut out the crap foods. I did get an upper GI barium swallow and found out yesterday I have a gastroesophogeal stricture. I will need an upper gi endoscopy with dilatation. Now I know why I reverted to so many slider foods. Well, bad habits, but also just having hard time swallowing dense foods and nightime reflux and cough. I am absolutely determined to get this weight off and now terrified I may need an RNY. Isn't that something?

Good luck to both of us. I know when I got to my goal weight I felt much better.

Most Active