Health going down hill!!!!

ljbarbara
on 3/21/19 3:50 pm

I'm 10 years out and have only one condition directly related to my surgery. It's called jejunal intususseption and it happens where the duodenum is surgically attached to the jejunum in an RNY.

Any other issues I've had are most assuredly attributed to my age...I'm 70! That having been said, I probably wouldn't be 70 if I hadn't had my WLS.

I hope you are feeling better soon and get the help you need.

Congrats on 14 years!!!

Original surgery: VSG Feb. 2009

REVISED TO RNY FEBRUARY 2016

Height: 5'7"

Start weight: 252. Current weight: 120

CerealKiller Kat71
on 3/21/19 4:51 pm
RNY on 12/31/13

"That having been said, I probably wouldn't be 70 if I hadn't had my WLS."

Great quote, and I think so true for so many of us.

"What you eat in private, you wear in public." --- Kat

Amy R.
on 3/21/19 6:12 pm

"It's called jejunal intususseption and it happens where the duodenum is surgically attached to the jejunum in an RNY."

Barbara that just makes me cringe. I'm sorry you had to go through that.

:shudder:

ljbarbara
on 3/21/19 7:43 pm

It took a long, very uncomfortable time to diagnose until someone decided a CT would be a good idea. Fortunately an overnight stay in the hospital with lots of IV fluids pushed can bring relief. Unfortunately, it can occur over and over again.

Amy R.
on 3/21/19 8:32 pm

Wow. I thought this required mandatory surgery in order to be corrected. So if I understand you, you may have it happen more than once? Yikes.

ljbarbara
on 3/21/19 9:34 pm

I believe it depends on how much blockage there is and where it is. The first time it happened, I was so blocked up with stool "down stream" that I thought I was going to die. The treatment was lots of laxatives, bowel rest and the IV fluids. I assume that had the stool back up been above the intususseption, surgery would have been required, but I honestly don't know. I take Miramax 2-3 times a day so there is no chance of backing up again.

The "telescoping" or intususseption, comes and goes. Sometimes it hurts like heck and I have to have treatment, other times it's livable. I was told by the gastroenterologist during my most recent hospitalization (last week) that some people don't even feel it at all. I don't know if she meant post RNY patients, but I don't see how it can be totally painless.

I haven't asked if I will require surgery at some point. I hope not.

If you look up intususseption post RNY on the net, there's lots of info.

Amy R.
on 3/22/19 12:23 am

Honestly I cannot imagine how anyone doesn't feel it at all. Unless they're on a perpetual morphine drip. I don't believe her.

I'm really sorry you have to deal with that.

ljbarbara
on 3/22/19 12:13 pm

Thank you Amy. It certainly isn't something I expected to happen!

Valerie G.
on 3/29/19 12:29 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA

A friend of mine had all kinds of crazy things happening and her docs were baffled until one thought to test her sodium levels -- that was the problem. She got her sodium up and they went away as easy as they arrived.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active