Death of the calorie/Economist

Partlypollyanna
on 4/2/19 11:22 am
RNY on 02/14/18

Not sure I buy all of this, but it's an interesting read.

this jumped out at me - "American government regulations allow a label to understand calories. Y up to 20%"

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/2/19 2:35 pm, edited 4/3/19 3:50 am

I have not read the whole thing, but long time ago I knew calories in - out weight loss was for me full of crap. My body was different. It still is.

In addition - not all calories are equal, the same steak, if grounded and cooked in tomato sauce for an hour, for some people would result in absorbing more and getting more "calories" from ground vs. a whole steak.

Vegetables - I am sure that cooking carrots or green beans to a point they are very soft, may results in absorbing more calories from them that if they are just steamed or cooked to be still "crispy".

And there is the issue of "fiber" and microbiota in our guts. They "friendly " bacterial can specialize in digesting some items, even "fiber" into simple sugars and gas. That's why "net carbs" grams on commercially made LC products are a big "?" For some, their bacteria is not familiar with that "fiber" and would allow them to pass undigested, while others (like me) can break down the "fiber" in their small intestine and "benefit" from the extra carbohydrates.

example: Quest bars- some people can eat them and be fine, I get really elevated blood sugar after I eat one of them. It is not as bad as the original formula they had, but even with "fiber from corn" they have now, my BS raises much more than the net sugars or carbs suggest it should.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Partlypollyanna
on 4/2/19 4:15 pm, edited 4/2/19 11:10 am
RNY on 02/14/18

How cooking or cooking and cooling food impacts the calorie absorption is one of the things they call out. Also, I thought of you when I read the section talking about soffeeent bodies absorbing calories diferently and specifically used the example of people with longer intestines having more absorption. It seems like it?s the start of some new ideas!

Edited because "cooking or cooking and cooking food" makes no sense

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Kathy S.
on 4/3/19 7:29 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

Counting cals never work if you don't distinguish between what calories you are eating.....

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/19 10:50 am

I agree to a lot what you say, but I also kind off disagree. If you drastically cut calories, really low, or fast all together- you can't help but lose weight.

At one time I was very carbs sensitive. I fasted for 28 days getting only a very little of very diluted juice and bone broth. I lost 10 lbs in the first few days, and I lost at least 1 lbs every day after. By the end of 4 weeks I lost 35 lbs. Of course I regained some in my first week, app 8 lbs, but I kept the rest off for at least a 6 months if not longer. Then I just stopped paying attention all together and gained it all back and then some.

Even now, I have days I can't really eat a lot, if any, foods (pain) I would keep my BS up from crashing by having a hard candy in my mouth. I can avoid eating for 6-8 hours as long as I have a hard candy in my mouth. No hypoglycemia, or dumping or any things like that. It sucks, but I need to do what I need to do. right?

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Kathy S.
on 4/4/19 8:40 am - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

I should have expanded on that comment. I remember the days where someone would post they only had 600 cals that day and come to find out it was a cheese burger from a fast food place put in a blender. SMH

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/4/19 10:34 am

o yea.. that person.

Or liquefied pizza. Right?

Most Active