ankylosing spondylitis

FindingMeAt47
on 7/31/19 11:24 pm
VSG on 07/16/16

I was wondering if anyone else has/ had ankylosing spondylitis going into gastric sleeve surgery. For ten years I dealt with the debilitating stiffness of AS every morning when it come time to get out of bed and walking up and down stairs like a little old lady before I hit 45. Forget about washing the dishes, sweeping the floor and standing in line, the pain was unbearable. No one told me that having the surgery would make such a dramatic change in my AS pain. Within 5 days off having my surgery I am pain free. I can sit up in bed as soon as my alarm goes off and use the steps like a normal 47 year old. I was just wondering if anyone else with AS has had the same results.

TheWombat
on 8/1/19 8:53 am, edited 8/1/19 1:54 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I haven't heard anything about the effects of WLS on AS, but I just want to say that it's wonderful that you've had such a great (and probably unexpected) result!

FindingMeAt47
on 8/1/19 6:17 pm
VSG on 07/16/16

Oh yes. It is an amazing result. I'm just hoping it is a permanent one and not temporary. Since it was unexpected by both me and my doctors none of us are sure.

ScaleSkater
on 8/12/19 10:44 am

AS is a progressive inflammatory condition that requires treatment with a disease modifying drug along with activity and weight loss. You are likely doing all the right things to keep your condition treated vs always being in a flare state. There is no cure, but what you've done will make life so much better. Congratulations

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Most Active