Bariatric Friendly Skinny Recipes please add your Own! - GREEK and MEDITERRANEAN

(deactivated member)
on 8/26/19 2:23 am

GRILLED CHICKEN BREAST KEBABS

the key to great kebabs is the marinade - soak at least two hours preferably overnite to really tender size and flavor the chicken breasts .

Cut washed Chicken breast into 1 inch to 1 1/2 inch cubes soak in vinegared water - rinse thoroughly

mix up marinade - fat free Greek yogurt Base mixed w diced fresh onion . Either season with grocery store Greek seasoning , Polish store kebab spice mix ( the best tasting option) or just salt n pepper garlic powder n a bit of whatever herbs you have on hand ( rosemary thyme oregano or dill ) ..

place chicken in marinade refrigerate overnite if possible no less than 2 hours the more the better .

When ready to grill - thread onion quarters alternating w chicken pieces pepper pieces or even sliced lemon onto bamboo skewers

Grill in high heat briefly till chicken is grill marked outside but just springs back to the touch when pressed . Don't over cook ! Remove from heat and let sit 5 minutes on a platter so meat can reabsorb it's juices.

Traditional way to serve is with fresh flatbread ( very easy to make and fat free and delicious ) shredded lettuce onions and sliced tomato and homemAde Tzaziki ( Greek yogurt dressing w fresh dill garlic n cucumber )

Cedars makes a good lowfat Tzaziki dip available in any grocery store if you don't have the time to make homemade .

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/19 5:10 am

EASY PEASY FAT FREE TZAZIKI

Its not that I don't like Cedar's excellent relatively lowfat Tzaziki dip available in the refrigerated fresh salsa / dip section any grocery store ( especially since it's 3 grams of fat a serving is 1/3 of the damage compared to hummus and guacamole ...

BUT it can be made cheaper and even less fattening at home . Personally I LOVE the savory taste of delicious Tzaziki even for breakfast ... otherwise I'm not big on the taste of Greek yogurt despite its excellent numbers .

You will need one 1/2 envelope Polish store Tzaziki mix one container Fat free Greek Yogurt - one large peeled cucumber cut into 1/3 inch chunks one bundle of dill ( you can use half of you prefer ) and perhaps a bit of dried garlic powder to bring it to your exact taste .

First mix the powder into the yogurt taste ... adjust and add the fresh ingredients ... that's IT !

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/19 8:04 am

SKINNY DELICIOUS SUPERFOOD TABOULEH :)

Ill bet Anyone fifty bux they can't beat this recipe for goodness healthiness and tastiness ... best use of ripe tomatoes EVER ( other than gravy ) and so easy too ...

one box taboule mix I Strongly prefer Near East

two or so ripe tomatoes

one cup orange juice

if you have it ... fresh mint leaves or parsley leaves but not necessary

mix taboule mix and herbs ( included with mix),with orange juice let sit till absorbed ( about an hour ) . Dice tomatoes and mix in ... scissor fresh herbs finely and mix in . Serve .

Great w Greek Salad , a plate of Mezzes ( appetizers w fresh flatbread or Pita bread ) or as a side for lemonograsso fresh chicken breast soup , grilled skin-on whole fresh fish filled with rosemary lemon slices and brushed w olive oil in n out ( or a kebab )

(deactivated member)
on 9/8/19 8:18 am

EASY TWO INGREDIENT FLATBREAD

I admit " borrowing " this recipe from Weigh****chers who stole it from someone else ... it works and it's genius ... try it !

mix 1/2 and 1/2 fat free Greek or normal yogurt and self rising bread flour . Some mixes are partially whole wheat - gives a really nice and filling nutty taste . I also add butter buds to make em taste like they were buttered ... like Nans in Indian restaurants ...or pitas in Greek ones .

Using a bread hook on a Kitchenaid type mixer or just your hands on a floured board knead mixture five - seven minutes to develop gluten and elasticity . You probably will need to keep adding flour ... till everything forms a ball . Keep kneading . At this point you can pinch off small ( one inch ) dough balls roll them in flour and flatten them as thin as possible . Have a preheated extremely hot nonstick pan ready throw flatbread on ... watch it inflate ... turn ... done .

Weigh****chers claims these are way less points than bread ? Maybe ... they certainly taste good and you don't eat as much for some reason ( high protein? ) . Leftover dough keeps great in freezer or fridge and can be used for pizza crust ... empanadas ...

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/19 12:57 pm

ADRIATIC GRILLED WHOLE FISH

Buy super-fresh whole low-fat fishes one per person head on . Bronzino is good so is trout ...

Cheapest and best place to buy the freshest fish ( unless you know a fisherman) - the local Oriental grocery store . You can tell freshness of iced fish by the state of the eyes - the eyeball should look moist and alive ... or you can pick your victims swimming in tanks there and have them killed and gutted in front of you guaranteeing freshness .

Bring home , cut a slit into the belly , gut , wash thoroughly inside n out with lemon juice / water mix . Rinse again . Rub high quality olive oil on skin inside n out , n sprinkle all sides with powdered garlic and salt n pepper . Stuff each cavity with lemon slices and fresh herbs ( rosemary , thyme fennel are the classics )

I like to vary the herbs from fish to fish - really gives a great sampling of flavor . You can also use orange slices for variety ( bitter orange is even more authentic and delicious )

preheat grill hot : place fish directly on cleaned grill . When skin is crispy on bottom turn if you can - you want very crispy aromatic skin . Serve face -up :) and warn your guests about small bones . Don't forget to eat the cheeks ! One of the best bites on a fish :)

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/19 1:01 pm

If you really like grilled fish I advise buying a grilling cage or two for easy turning . It's just a two sided wire device with a handle ... pretty inexpensive .

Most Active