cignia skin removal

amyg254
on 11/10/19 7:46 pm

has anyone been able to have their skin removed w cignia plus plan? fingers crossed that someone will give me hope.

Mary Gee
on 11/11/19 7:34 am - AZ
VSG on 05/14/14

Generally speaking....

Most insurance companies will cover panniculectomy (belly overhang) and breast reduction if proven to be medically necessary. You need documentation from dermatologist re irritation, rashes, odor and treatment. Otherwise, it's considered cosmetic surgery, which would not be covered.

Check out the Plastic Surgery forum for more info.

HW: 380 SW: 324 GW: 175  

ScaleSkater
on 11/11/19 8:25 am, edited 11/11/19 12:26 am

Hospital covered, but procedure cost out of my pocket was about that of a new car. Sorry. The portion covered is very small and only if medically necessary. The stuff we mostly want done is not covered in many cases. I was glad they covered the $2000 of the $20000 surgeon bill because that resulted in coverage of the hospital portion for me. I was really nervous what that portion was going to be on top of my surgeon's fees. But that worked out and I was very happy I did what I did. Good value for the money.

HW 510 / SW 424/ GW 175 (stretch goal to get 10 under) / CW 160 (I'm near the charts ideal weight - wonder if I can stay here)

RNY November 2016

PS: L/R arm skin removal; belt panniculectomy - April, 2019

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 11/11/19 11:27 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Every plan is different. Call the phone number on the back of your insurance card and ask for the "coverage guidelines" for skin removal.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Janet P.
on 11/12/19 8:19 am

Every plan is different and every person is different. I think I was covered under Cigna when I had my plastics. I had the tummy tuck covered and the breast reduction was done at the same time but had to pay surgeon's fee out of pocket for that.

It also takes a great plastic surgeon (who has experience working with bariatric surgery patients) to make sure everything is documented and the request for approval is written in such a way to help get it covered.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Most Active