Vitamin B12 magic conquers diabetic neuropathy!

(deactivated member)
on 3/10/20 10:25 pm, edited 3/10/20 10:45 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

When I got the tingling feeling in my feet years after surgery to defeat my ( starting ) diabetes ..,, I was so confused and disappointed.

I thought my diabetes risk was done and over after surgery ! I?m basically thin and healthy .,,I exercise ... why is this happening to ME ?!

it?s vitamin b 12 deficiency !!!! The amazing thing is you chew your vit B /12 gummies daily it resolves itself 90 percent .

Thank God thank God .. yep I was THAT scared I?m sure I?m not alone .

Partlypollyanna
on 3/11/20 6:34 am
RNY on 02/14/18

It's great that your neuropathy is responding to B12, it sounds like it's a huge relief mentally as well as physically for you!

It's a good reminder/perfect example of why it's so important for us to stay on top of our vitamins and minerals (but double check with your medical team, a lot of us have been told gummies are not the best post RNY option).

I think your topic title is a little misleading though - neuropathy can be caused by b12 deficiency in itself so if that's the reason, it may be addressed by resolving the deficiency. Diabetic neuropathy without an underlying b12 isssue may not respond/would not be miraculously cured.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

ladygodiva1228
on 3/11/20 7:05 am - Putnam, CT
Revision on 02/04/15
On March 11, 2020 at 5:25 AM Pacific Time, Veggiewoman wrote:

When I got the tingling feeling in my feet years after surgery to defeat my ( starting ) diabetes ..,, I was so confused and disappointed.

I thought my diabetes risk was done and over after surgery ! I?m basically thin and healthy .,,I exercise ... why is this happening to ME ?!

it?s vitamin b 12 deficiency !!!! The amazing thing is you chew your vit B /12 gummies daily it resolves itself 90 percent .

Thank God thank God .. yep I was THAT scared I?m sure I?m not alone .

Yea know that the tingling feeling probably has zero to do with diabetes and more to do with being vitamin deficient. Also not sure how great the b12 gummies are. Most of us either use sublingual or shots to keep the b12 up as it is absorbed better.

How are your labs? Do you get them done yearly?

Dr. Sanchez Lapband 9/12/2003
hw305/revision w280/cw197/gw150

Revision from Lap Band to Bypass on 2/4/2015 by Dr. Pohl

NYMom222
on 3/25/20 1:29 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Interestingly since I work at GNC now, I started using their b-12 chews, look like the calcium chews. I have used them exclusively for about 9 months and just got my B-12 bloodwork back and it was 1800. So I guess they are absorbing.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/12/20 5:30 am

Neuropathy that was caused my B12 deficiencies would respond to B12 supplementation. Diabetic neuropathy is caused by high sugar and high insulin levels (there are different theories) and thff at type of neuropathy would not respond to B12.

Some diabetic neuropathy can be caused by both, b12 deficiencies and high sugars, and that one may improve when B12 is taken.

The best way to administer B12 is by sublingual, nasal spray or B12 injection. Chewing B12 gummies is probably have some impact as long as you take time chewing it.

If your feet and fingers start feeling better when you take B12, I would suggest you call your doc and get detailed labwork done, including B12, B1, B6, A, D, E, and minerals. Just to name a few.

Re B12: most labs have 250-900 as normal for B12, but there are studies that showed chronic B12 levels at 500 and below can cause nerve damages. I know I feel best when my B12 is 800-1500. More than 1500 - and I am rather "neurotic", but below 800 not only I start feeling badly, but my other blood markers for B12 indicate inadequate levels.

(I'm 12 years post op and I got tested more times that I can count.)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Dee_Caprini
on 3/31/20 10:38 am

Never knew that feet tingling was a sign of B-12 deficiency. Good to know! Thank you for sharing!

Most Active