Let's talk coffee

Melody P.
on 3/31/20 3:18 pm - Amarillo, TX

What kind do you like? I'm not an expert on different types so I'm interested in what everyone drinks, if you drink coffee that is. What do you add?

i just tried delgoda coffee(homemade) and my mind was blown. I think it's my favorite now.

i might pay for this treat with heartburn but hopefully the omeprazole will knock it out before it starts

H.A.L.A B.
on 3/31/20 7:58 pm, edited 4/1/20 3:37 am

I really like coffee from Costa Rica. We went there one year and the coffee made from fresh coffee, was super nice.

For everyday coffee I drink cold brewed coffee. I grind it myself, and I make a coffee concentrate. In the morning I add Miralax, a few drops of stevia, my coffee and ho****er to get my one, 20 oz coffee per day.

I used to drink great Expresso, but really bad gerd, and now is cold brewed.

A few days ago I did not feel like brewing it for me and I had a regular organic coffee pods in my Keurig. For 2-3 days. I even added some powdered calcium carbonate to reduce the acididty. Then I got my GERD, that reminded me why I don't drink regular coffee.

The brands I use to brew my coffee are organic coffee from Costco, Kona Coffee, or coffee from Costa Rica.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Partlypollyanna
on 4/1/20 3:27 am
RNY on 02/14/18

The last time I went to CR for work, I brought back so much coffee that they flagged my carry on in Houston. It's realy a very smooth coffee!

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Melody P.
on 4/1/20 10:59 am - Amarillo, TX

I love coffee but it killed me last night! Even cold brew seems to cause havoc.

super sad about it. CR is one of my favs and I love most dark roast coffees too.

Does anyone know if tea like greens and matcha will cause heartburn/GERD?

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/1/20 12:18 pm

I have to make my own cold brewed coffee. Commercially available cold brewed coffee also gives me GERD.

I make my cold brewed using organic coffee. The whole beans coffee. The already ground coffee may be already with stuff that can irritate my system.

I make on weekend enough for a whole week. I strain it, and put 1 lbs of dry powdered calcium carbonate to eliminate the rest of the acid. I boil it to kill any bacteria that may have been in the coffee or water. I put the coffee concentrate in bottles when still hot and keep that in the fridge. Use as needed.

It is relatively a lot of work but I can drink my coffee without a problem.

I drink a lot of tea. Brian tea and green tea. Some tea can gibe me GERD, other - not a all. Over the time I eliminated the one that my body doesn't like.

I love Earl Grey, jasmine tea, Darjeeling, Assam. English breakfast - my system doesn't like. Some teas with artificial flavors - are no go. It is trial and errors.

If my system is really irritated., I make cold brewed tea (same way as i make coffee) and drink that cold or warm.

My body doesn't like milk. Dairy in general. But I can tolerate hard cheese, but milk,or yogurt, cream - I get GERD. 0

BTW: for now I am still on prescription strength of PPI. Dexilant. I lowered from 60 to 30 mg per day, but so far I could not get stop taking it.

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 4/2/20 4:39 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Where do you buy dry powdered calcium carbonate? I make my own cold brew, but even with that I cannot do it in the morning anymore. Only afternoons. Whatever. WOuld love to get my morning coffee back.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/3/20 7:47 am

Where do you buy dry powdered calcium carbonate?

On amazon. Many companies have that. You want a food grade Calcium carbonate. They use Ca carbonate to reduce acidity of wines, or pain.

Janet P.
on 4/1/20 8:13 am

Everyday coffee is Keurig. I like dark roast. My sister bought be a Nespresso machine after our fall vacation to Spain/France/Italy. Not every day, but I love making cappuccino (double shot).

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Partlypollyanna
on 4/2/20 7:12 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I drink it all - Keurig, coffee pot, cold brew, canned, decaf, extra caffeinated. My favorite is a red eye (coffee with a shot of espresso) with half and half and a bit of skinny syrup. I like the Death Wish Coffee brand (supposedly the most caffeine but it taste really smooth); my favorite K cups are Starbucks Christmas blend, which is hilarious because I think actual Starbucks coffee tastes burn (except I love their Nitro Cold Brew, which I can drink plain). I also keep some Christopher Bean K cups for when I want a flavored coffee. Coffee is life.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

Most Active