Did your Doctor what you lose weight Before surgery

(deactivated member)
on 4/4/20 12:12 pm

Did your Doctor what you lose weight Before surgery

Partlypollyanna
on 4/4/20 4:55 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

Each doctor and each insurance program has their own requirements. I think most surgical programs do look for pre surgery weight loss to help shrink the liver, making the surgery somewhat easier, but I'm not sure that's universal. My surgeon asked that I lose 10-15 lbs.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

H.A.L.A B.
on 4/6/20 4:08 am

It was a long time ago, but our center put us in 4 weeks mandatory semi liquids diet. 4 proteins' shakes a day (specialty, loaded with vitamins) plus one meal, 4oz of lean proteins, plus some veggies. In that 4 weeks we were requi6ti lose 5% or more of body weight. Last 2 days before surgery we were on clear liquids diet.

We also were ask to stop drinking coffee.

I think our center wanted to make sure we can follow a strict eating routine.

A lot of times doctors, or the centers want to see that we are dedicated, and drop some weight, shrinking the liver and reducing belly fat to allow the doctor better approach during surgery.

Surgery is a tool, that when use properly, may allow us to lose weight and keep it off.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

NYMom222
on 4/6/20 7:07 pm
RNY on 07/23/14

Yes. I had to lose 20lbs. I did not have a 6 month dieting requirement from insurance.

I did not think I could do it but I did.

Cynthia 5'11" RNY 7/23/2014

Goal reached 17 months. 220lb Weight Loss
Plastic Surgery Dr. Joseph Michaels - LBL and Hernia Repair 2/29/16, Arm Lift, BL, 5/2/16, Leg Lift 7/25/16

#lifeisanadventure #fightthegoodfight #noregrets

Save

Save

(deactivated member)
on 4/6/20 7:17 pm
RNY on 01/01/14

My doc required a several months long liquid diet . I lost so much I was terrified I wouldn't get the surgery. I was smaller going in than a lot of the nurses and they constantly commented on it.

Dee_Caprini
on 4/9/20 3:44 pm

Yes, My insurance required me to do 6 months of supervised weight loss program, plus my surgeon required an additional supervised program until my surgery was scheduled (3 months of additional weight loss).

Every practice is different, and every insurance is different with what it requires

Most Active