New to site

MCGIRL48
on 4/16/20 10:36 am

Hello everyone. I am new to this site and checking it out. Just seeing if there is anything that can help me with my journey into bariartric surgery.

Dee_Caprini
on 4/16/20 3:20 pm

I know these are some crazy times we are all experiencing so I'm going ask where you are in the process? are you currently under a supervised weight loss program with your Primary doctor or a bariatric surgeon? Have you researched if your insurance covers surgery? gone to any seminars about weight loss surgery?

Hopefully, answering the above will allow more to chime in! But, you are most def in good company!!!

MCGIRL48
on 4/16/20 4:29 pm

I am going to weight management since November. I haven't seen a surgeon yet. I have had a few issues to work on since the start of this process. I had hpylori. I was on antibiotics to correct that. Waiting for the recheck. Just been seen by the psychologist. I have been to a few meeting about the process. They are usually after my appointments. I had to do a sleep study. Now waiting on a sleep apnea machine.

Dee_Caprini
on 4/17/20 10:47 am

You are on the right track! I hope you are feeling better and that the antibiotics were able to give you some relief! Keep at the mental health sessions, they will help more than you know!

Gina 21 Years Out
on 4/16/20 4:50 pm - Burleson, TX

WELCOME, McGirl !! IMHO, most everything will help you...BUT, what will "help" you, MOST, is to pay attention to people who have walked in your shoes, from newbies, to vets...EVERYONE learns, from each other!!

RNY 4-22-02...

LW: 6lb,10 oz SW:340lb GW:170lb CW:155

We Can Do Hard Things

MCGIRL48
on 4/16/20 5:20 pm

Thanks. I know a few people who have already had the procedure done. They are helpful. But everyone has different opinions and experiences. That's what I'm looking forward to hearing about.

White Dove
on 4/18/20 6:53 am - Warren, OH

Lose as much weight as possible as quickly as possible. The effect of the surgery wears off. Use this time to learn how to eat properly to lose weight. After surgery it will be much easier. But it is still a diet and the results all depend on what you chose to eat.

Before surgery I gave up Diet Coke, straws, and all white foods. No bread, sugar, potatoes, pasta, noodles, cereal, rice, pastries, doughnuts, or cookies. I remember one slip up on doughnut day at work when I finally gave in and ate one. But the rest of the time I stayed on my plan. It was hard.

After surgery, I no longer felt hungry and it was easy for a long time. After that it was hard again and I have to be very careful or I will gain the weight back. Giving up the carbs ahead of time will give you an enormous advantage. There will be no learning how to eat differently and no withdrawal periods after surgery.

The harder you work at this the more successful you will be.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

MCGIRL48
on 4/18/20 6:57 am

Thanks so much. This will help.

SuMari
on 4/24/20 10:33 am

I am fairly new to the site as well as I just joined in January. Everyone has been super helpful and encouraging! I am still pre-op and hoping for this COVID-19 thing to be over so I can start the process again!

MCGIRL48
on 4/24/20 10:38 am

I was just given green lights on everything. Now waiting to see the surgeon. But that's not going to happen anytime soon with the covid 19. They may do a video call to get started. And then just wait until the do electives again. So it's a waiting game for me also.

Most Active