VSG in September

Tiffany40
on 6/12/20 4:34 pm
VSG on 09/01/20

Hi, I'm new to the forum so I apologize if I'm not posting in the right spot. My surgery will be sometime in September, we are scheduling it in 3 weeks. I just want to know what I should pack to take with me to the hospital other then comfy clothes. My dad is staying with me until after surgery then picking me up on release day. We live an hour away from the hospital and I'm trying to stay positive about spending time alone.

I also have Factor 5 Leiden which is a blood clotting disorder and I'm on blood thinner. I hate and dread having to give myself injections for a week but I know it will be worth it. Any support would be nice.

Thank you!

catwoman7
on 6/12/20 8:22 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I didn't really use anything other than my phone. I slept most of the time I was in the hospital...

White Dove
on 6/13/20 5:15 am - Warren, OH

Your phone and charger. Also chapstick as your lips will be very dry.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/20 7:43 pm

Definitely don't forget the chapstick. It was my only regret and in short supply at the hospital.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 6/13/20 5:47 am, edited 6/12/20 10:47 pm - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16

It depends on how many nights you stay. My surgeon always books two nights. The first day having only my phone (and charger), toothbrush and hairbrush would have been sufficient but the second day I was quite alert so I used my kindle and iPad a lot. I had preloaded some movies on my iPad and was glad to have them. No need for extra clothing other than possibly slippers (easy to get on and very nonslip). The hospital will supply slippers, a toothbrush and comb though. I wore clothing to the hospital that was soft, expandable around the waist, and easy to get on. Think super stretchy leggings/sweats. I wore the same clothing back home. I live 1.5 hours from the hospital so I also had a pillow in the car to put over my stomach for the ride home.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Tiffany40
on 6/13/20 3:21 pm
VSG on 09/01/20

Thanks for the feedback. How long after surgery do I have to wait to take a bath? When taking a shower will it be to painful to shave?

TheWombat
on 6/14/20 7:31 am
VSG on 06/11/18

I was allowed to take a shower on late on day 2, I think. You'll want to wait on taking a bath until the incisions are closed. I don't remember how long that took, so ask your surgeon about that.

I'm guessing from your username that you are female, and are asking if it will be painful to bend over to shave your legs. I myself didn't have any pain from the incisions, and felt comfortable bending on day 3. Some people have more discomfort, perhaps due to the placement of a stitch, and need a bit more time before they can bend easily. I'd be more concerned that you would get dizzy from bending over, especially in a hot shower. I'd wait perhaps 5 days for that. If you have an electric shaver that you can use sitting down, you might feel comfortable doing that as soon as day 4.

White Dove
on 6/14/20 3:59 pm - Warren, OH

Having a seat in the shower is a good idea. I think it was four weeks until I could soak in the tub, but showers as soon as I got home. Sometimes people get a bit light headed in a hot shower soon after surgery, so the shower chair was a good idea for me. Also I liked having a hand held shower as well as a showerhead.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/20 7:42 pm

Definitely worth it, and you'll need very little. A toothbrush and some clothes to come home.

You'll spend most of the hospital time tired and recovering but after about 2 days you'll be ready to go home. The biggest surprise to me was needing a full 6 weeks to recover. I could work half days after a week or so and be effective for 4 to 6 hours at a time, but then needed to rest. This seems to be pretty common.

Good luck and enjoy the ride. Losing weight is just the very begining of an interesting and challenging (but worth it) life experience.

Member Services
on 6/15/20 7:40 am - Irvine, CA

Hi Tiffany!

Welcome to OH. You are welcome to post to any of the boards we have, but I wanted to let you know we do have a board that is specific to VSG. That is located here https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/

On that board, you will find a lot of posts that might help answer questions you have or provide you with the ability to network with others who have had the VSG. There is also a RNY board and that one has a daily menu thread that helps people stay accountable. The forum is located here: https://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/ You do not have to be a RNY patient to post to the thread, so feel free to jump in.

Wishing you the best for your upcoming surgery.

Most Active