Blood Work Precautions

White Dove
on 7/1/20 7:14 pm - Warren, OH

I needed to go in for blood work this week. A nurse met me at the door and took my temperature and made sure I was wearing a mask. Then she asked what type of car I was driving and where I was parked.

I went back to the car and they came and got me when it was my turn. They took me immediately, did the blood work and I left. No sitting in a waiting room. I was impressed how they are handling people during COVID.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 7/2/20 4:44 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I go in tomorrow morning.

Last year, the PA in my bariatric clinic told me to skip taking vitamins the day before (I know some say longer), so I'm not taking any today. I always wondered why some medical people recommend that since my normal blood levels are based on taking my supplements every day. . I don't remember having to do it the first couple of years - but maybe there's been more recent research - or maybe they just forgot to tell me to hold off on the vitamins for a day or two.

White Dove
on 7/2/20 6:07 am - Warren, OH

I have never been told to hold off on vitamins the day of blood work. But I remember my husband being told years ago to stop drinking coffee the day before a stress test. That was because caffeine affects the heart rate.

I agree that you take daily supplements, then then they should not have an effect on the blood work. I think that is just a personal belief of some medical people and a day without vitamins is not going to hurt anything.

catwoman7
on 7/2/20 10:31 am
RNY on 06/03/15

I agree with you - it doesn't make much sense to me. But the one thing I DO do is wait at least a wee****il after I take my megadose of B12 (I take it once every two weeks). I try to schedule my labs somewhere around a week after when I'm sort of in the middle - so my B12 levels aren't too high or too low, since that might make them think something's up when it's not. I figure having them test me when I'm in the middle of the cycle is probably ideal..

Janet P.
on 7/2/20 6:16 am

I went to my primary doctor yesterday for the first time - 6 month follow up on HBP. Same exact protocol. Even had to get some bloodwork - they do their own draws and everything was great. No waiting around.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

Ladytazz
on 7/4/20 6:34 pm

I took my dog to the vet the other day and didn't step foot in the office. They met me at the door and did all the paperwork on the phone. I printed out all the forms before I came, gave them my id and credit card and waited for them to copy them.

I did have blood work last week and went to the lab. It is in a major university hospital and there was only one or two others in the waiting room so no problem keeping my distance. Of course masks were required. I used hand sanitizer before, during and after the visit, as well as washing my hands before I left. They had bottles of sanitizer all over the place. I was still nervous but felt it was about as safe as possible.

My partner has to take a covid test a day before any visit for labs or anything. Then he drives up for the test and never leaves his car. I guess there is no way to completely avoid all risk but they are doing the best they can.

WLS 10/28/2002 Revision 7/23/2010

High Weight  (2002) 240 Revision Weight (2010) 220 Current Weight 115.

White Dove
on 7/4/20 7:56 pm - Warren, OH

Ladytazz!!

Great to hear from you. It has been a while.

H.A.L.A B.
on 7/4/20 7:47 pm

I decided to postpone my blood work.

When I am going for blood work, I try to skip the multi for one day. And get blood work at the end of the time I take some of the once a week vitamins. I.e I get B12 shot once a week . So I make sure I wait at least one week after the B12, same with D3, or some others I take once in a while. When I get B12 injection, immediately my B12 results may be high, or high normal. Most people don't need B12 shots more than 1 x month. And their B12 remains normal for that time. But my body is processing B12 very fast, so I need to make sure my dose and frequency is good enough. To maintain my B12 at optimum levels. There was time when my B12 was around 500 a week after injection. And my blood markers indicated chronic low B12. I had to increase how often I got B12.

Lately, my B12 hovers around 1000 at the end of 7 days. My blood markers still indicate some small deficiencies, but not like before.

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

(deactivated member)
on 7/5/20 12:06 am
White Dove
on 7/5/20 6:10 am, edited 7/4/20 11:10 pm - Warren, OH

It does not bother me anymore, but at first I used to pack a lunch and eat in the car before driving home, because I was so weak from fasting and all those blood withdrawals.

I passed out the first time too and after that I would only do those massive blood withdrawals while lying down. If I sit in a chair I am still afraid I would pass out again.

Most Active