Which surgery helps you to lose more weight?

JackieLove
on 2/17/21 10:32 am

If this is a dumb question I am sorry. I never thought about weight loss surgery before but am to the place of desperation with my weight and health. I am 54 years old and I have tried it all but any weight I lost comes right back and I am tired. Is there one of the surgeries that helps you lose more weight and faster then the others?

summerset
on 2/18/21 1:45 am

Well, there is BPD-DS but as with all other things in life: everything comes with a price tag on it.

JackieLove
on 2/22/21 5:39 am

Thanks for taking the time to respond summerset!

catwoman7
on 2/18/21 5:03 am
RNY on 06/03/15

success with WLS is more a function of your level of commitment to the program than it is to the type of surgery you have. Statistically, you'll lose the most weight with the duodenal switch (as summerset mentioned), followed by the RNY (bypass), followed by the VSG (sleeve), but those are just statistics, and you'll find people who fall on either side of those. You'll find people on here who've been wildly successful with all three - and others who've failed with all three - and a lot of people who are somewhere in the middle.

there may be one surgery that will be more appropriate for you if you have certain medical conditions, but otherwise, it comes down to personal preference. The most powerful surgery (due to the level of malabsorption) is the DS, but not all surgeons offer that, and not all insurance policies cover it.

I'd spend some time on here - as well doing a lot of reading (both books and reliable sites) - to become really informed about all the surgeries before you proceed. It's easier to make a decision and to know what to expect when you've done a lot of research.

good luck with your journey - I'm so glad I made the decision to go ahead with it!

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

JackieLove
on 2/22/21 5:49 am

Thank you! I learned a lot from your response. I have been reading the message boards and taking it all in. It helps to hear from others and about their experiences and what they have come to learn.

Most Active