Eating 3 weeks post

K.Artemis
on 3/12/21 10:42 am
RNY on 02/22/21

Hiiiii

I am about to be 3 weeks post gastric bypass. I am on puréed food this and next week. However I can only eat about three-five small bites of food when I eat. Fluid intake is fine (I do the 30 min rule after eating), my protein is.... abysmal since I can't stomach the shakes and powder makes me dry heave cause I can't take the chalky flavor. Doctor recommended mixing unflavored powder into food buuut refer back to I only eat a few bites...

my question is - is it normally only to eat a few bites (food like applesauce, mashed potatoes and yogurt thus far). I know I won't eat an entire thing of yogurt but looking at my calories I'm just concerned I'm not getting enough. I do have appointments in a few days too but I'm more curious from others who have had surgery if this is normal.

thank you!!!

White Dove
on 3/12/21 11:07 am - Warren, OH

You are normal. I had surgery on October 16. At Thanksgiving, I had a one inch cube of turkey, a teaspoon of mashed potatoes and seven kernels of corn and I was stuffed.

At three months, I could eat 1/2 of a Wendy's small chili. At 18 months, I could eat a six inch Subway sandwich. You new pouch is like a new born baby and can only handle a small amount. By six months, it is pretty much an adult pouch. Just give yourself time to heal.

I drank the protein shakes because I wanted so much to lose weight that I would have drunk mud shakes if that was what was needed. The best tasting protein powder is BSN Syntha 6. It is not chalky and does not have a protein powder smell. If you open a jar and smell it, it smells like cake mix.

I always had a tub or Chocolate Milkshake and a tub of Vanilla Ice Cream flavor. I added fat-free milk and prepared in a Magic Bullet with things like frozen strawberries, frozen pineapple, frozen blueberries, frozen peaches, etc. Believe it or not, chocolate with frozen strawberries tastes just like a Wendy's chocolate Frosty.

At three weeks, it might take 12 hours to finish a 8 ounce protein shake. Keep it in a mug that keeps it frosty cold and sip a little at a time.

Some day you will be able to eat a lot and will look back longingly on the time when two bites filled you up.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

K.Artemis
on 3/12/21 11:15 am
RNY on 02/22/21

Thank you! I just got a message from my nut about my next steps for what I can eat and they mentioned having 750 calories and I panicked since I can barely take much food. I appreciate the help and the protein recommendations. This weekend I was going to try making a shake with some of the protein powders I have to see if it helps (they are so expensive to buy I want to figure some way of using them). If not I'll look into what you recommended; however vanilla and chocolate aren't flavors I typically like (shockingly lol).

thank you again :-)

White Dove
on 3/12/21 4:41 pm, edited 3/12/21 8:42 am - Warren, OH

You do have to find the flavors you like, but still look into BSN. I think every other protein powder tastes nasty. Personal opinion.

Just nod your head when they tell you to eat 750 calories. They don't know what they are talking about and you will sabotage your surgery if you listen to that nonsense. Continue to eat the small amount of calories that satisfies you until you are at the point where you need more calories.

When people start adding more carbs, like breads, rice, flour, sugar, they get a lot more hungry. I stuck with lean protein and non-starchy veggies for the first three years. Thankfully, my nutritionist understands weight loss surgery better than most and does not say things like to eat more calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

TheWombat
on 3/12/21 6:45 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

I don't think I could have managed 750 calories per day until I was 4-5 months out.

K.Artemis
on 3/12/21 6:48 pm
RNY on 02/22/21

That's kind of what I thought over all. I'm glad everyone is helping me realize I'm okay in my recovery. Well besides protein (I will take your half a serving advice tomorrow to try, thank you for that!).

I'm really realizing how messed up some of what I'm told by my nut is drastically different than others. I'll just try what I can as I continue healing :-)

changingmylife2021
on 3/16/21 8:05 am

Good info! Thank you!

TheWombat
on 3/12/21 6:43 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

You can try using a half serving (or less) of the protein powder. That's something my dietitian suggested, and it makes a big difference in taste and tolerability.

Janet P.
on 3/13/21 5:00 am

Honestly the most important thing is to stay hydrated. You can't afford to get dehydrated. Continue to simply sip sip sip. Have a water bottle (or something) at your side at all times.

Maybe try a spoonful or two of greek yogurt - get some protein instead of apple sauce, which has absolutely no protein. Can you have a really soft scrambled egg?

Continue trying different protein supplements - until you have the capacity to get your protein from food, you'll need the supplements. I know this is a no-no, but try a straw with the protein. I was like you - dry heaves - but a straw helped. Just take very small sips. It's all about trial and error.

I had a different surgery but the first month is pretty similar.

Janet in Leesburg
DS 2/25/03
Hazem Elariny

K.Artemis
on 3/13/21 7:58 am
RNY on 02/22/21

I do have yogurt when I can, but the applesauce was more of a treat type thing. I'm also trying to see what may not agree.

so I'm not allowed to have eggs for another 4 weeks. They claim it's to hard to digest even though most people I've seen are allowed eggs early on.... frustrating lol.

I do stay hydrated as drinking water (or lately Gatorade zero) as been easy for me. So thankfully that's working for me :-)

Most Active