Revision Questions

Krob78
on 3/24/21 10:15 am

I had a VSG 3 years ago and I have been suffering with severe acid reflux. I saw my surgeon yesterday and he suggested a full bypass to relieve it.
Has anyone had a bypass for this reason? Does it really help? Is the downtime the same as the first surgery?

Also, does this create more weight loss? I am extremely happy with the way I look and feel.

Thanks in advance!

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

White Dove
on 3/24/21 3:27 pm - Warren, OH

Many people revise to RNY for relief from reflux. Average weight loss is around 20 pounds, but it is easy to gain back if you are not happy with it.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Member Services
on 3/25/21 6:50 am - Irvine, CA

Studies show that the main reasons for a revision from VSG to RNY are either reflux, lack of weight loss or regain. There are several people on this site that have revised for the reflux reason. In most cases, weight loss after a revision is about 20%.

If you are in a place with your weight that you are happy, you could just set your macros to maintain, it might be a bit harder right after surgery, but you should be able to meet a caloric set that will provide you with the ability to maintain your weight and adjust as needed. Just keep in mind that it is still very easy to gain weight even after a revision.

stratusphr2
on 5/31/21 7:44 am

I'm curious as to what you decided to do, and if you went through with a revision, please tell me what it's like reflux wise. Did you lose weight or are you able to maintain? Recovery time etc. Thank you in advance!

Krob78
on 5/31/21 8:24 am

I am going forward with the revision once approved from insurance. I am not doing it for weight loss reasons. I am extremely happy with my weight and how I look. I am doing it because the reflux is so damn bad! I will let you know how it works once I know!

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

stratusphr2
on 5/31/21 4:18 pm

Please keep me posted if you think about it!! Good luck!! I am anxious to get this appointment behind me and have an idea if he can just change my medication or what he is going to want to do. I also have a hiatal hernia. Some want to and will repair, some don't want to. Have a great Memorial Day evening!

Krob78
on 5/31/21 4:21 pm

I have a hiatal hernia as well... I will definitely let you know how it all work out. He will repair that as well as the full bypass.
Fingers crossed it gets approved and is successful !

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

stratusphr2
on 6/21/21 5:44 am

My appointment was last week. He recommended RNY and he'd repair the hernia at the same time. I am going for a second opinion to make friends and family happy, but I have two bariatric nurse friends, one a VSG patient and the other a RNY patient. Both agree with the surgeon. Part of what one of them said is this;

The risk of esophageal cancer from reflux is a good reason to do something...... you'll make the right decision..... hang in there! ?

I hope to hear something by the end of the week. Good luck, how long do they think it will take to hear from insurance?

Have a great Monday!!

Krob78
on 6/21/21 5:49 am

Good Morning!

I received insurance approval and my surgery is July 12th. Beyond excited to get this done. My reflux was so bad last night ?.

I will be sure to update!

Surgery date 4/27/18 !!!

stratusphr2
on 6/21/21 7:20 am

Congratulations!!! Yay!! You'll be done and recovering before you know it. Please keep me updated if you think about it!!!

Did you get a second opinion? Is it necessary? My doctor said exactly what I'd been reading so I'm not sure if I need to mess with it. A nurse friend said, the biggest decision you need to make is what surgeon to use!! That put things into perspective!

Most Active