Experience traveling for weight loss surgery?

Summerjoe
on 4/1/21 5:50 am

I don't have insurance for weight loss surgery and am thinking about traveling to where I can get the best prices with a good surgeon. At the same time I am wondering how that works once you are post surgery. How are follow up appointments handled and care and concerns? If anyone that has experience or knowledge about traveling distances to have surgery, I would be thankful to hear from you.

hollykim
on 4/1/21 9:20 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 1, 2021 at 12:50 PM Pacific Time, Summerjoe wrote:

I don't have insurance for weight loss surgery and am thinking about traveling to where I can get the best prices with a good surgeon. At the same time I am wondering how that works once you are post surgery. How are follow up appointments handled and care and concerns? If anyone that has experience or knowledge about traveling distances to have surgery, I would be thankful to hear from you.

there is no surgical follow up snd you don't really need a surgeon, your pcp, if willing, and make sure before you go thst they are willing, can handle your labs and any thing else you need.

if you have surgeries in another country, you need to be well prepared/ educate yourself about your own aftercare. You will be given instructions, including a diet progression plan, but once you leave that country, their care of you is over. Then it is you snd your pcp.

I have had several surgeries in Mx, including plastics and dental in addition to WLS. Best thing EVEr I have done for myself.

Phil-gets-lean-2021
on 4/3/21 3:37 pm
VSG on 03/01/21

I strongly recommend you watch YouTube videos by a man named Scott Farkus, here's the link to his page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTg8S1zN2aNMzur6lGDj96w

Scott went to Mexico for surgery and talks all about it, he LOVED it. Also, his videos are full of great information and not only convinced me to have the surgery but get me really excited about it. I had mine on Mar 1 and have lost...26 pounds!

Good luck!

Summerjoe
on 4/6/21 6:37 am

Thanks so much for this link! And congratulations on being 26 pounds down!

Summerjoe
on 4/6/21 6:35 am

Thank you for the information!

Caroline M.
on 4/4/21 3:56 pm
VSG on 03/18/20

I a in Australia so my experience may differ. I travelled out of state for my surgery, flight time was 90mins.

I travelled solo and stayed in accommodation near the hospital. Hospital stay was to be two or three nights and I booked my accommodation all the through that plus a few extra days so as to give a bit of extra time before I flew home. Some of those plans changed due to covid quarantine requirements that came about after I departed for my surgery.

I stayed in hospital for two nights, surgeon would have been happy with another night as I was travelling solo (I had private health insurance that would have covered it). I returned to my accommodation for one night, tried to rearrange my flight home to avoid 14 days quarantine, unfortunately I missed the deadline. I was told not to lift anything heavier than a chair so lifting my suit case on the check in belt and lift if off the baggage carousel was a bit of a challenge on the way home. I made sure to bend at the knees and not strain myself. I more or less dragged my bag off the carousel rather than lifting. Travelling home was fine no issues, I had taken a couple of panadol as a pre-emptive but not really needed.

I didn't need any face to face follow up with my surgeon after that. I had two phone calls with the dietician and so far three scheduled follow up phone calls with my surgeon, these were part of my program. Phone calls are fairly quick - how am I going, any acid reflux and the final question what is my current weight.

My recovery was pretty good, no gas, no issues other than tenderness around the incision sites and since then no issues. I haven't needed face to face appointments, if there were any issues I would have gone to my local doctor after first consulting with my surgeon.

All in all, the experience was good, and I wouldn't hesitate to do it again.

Summerjoe
on 4/6/21 6:39 am

Thank you so much for sharing your experience. I am getting excited to move forward!

Most Active