RNY and Colonoscopy prep

chellenc
on 3/29/22 9:51 am
RNY on 11/17/14

I had my RNY bypass 11/2014 and I had my 1st colonoscopy 03/21/22. I had to drink a bottle of Miralax and take 2 ducolax to prep but it didn't clean me out enough so I had to do a barium enema the next day. I wonder if my RNY had something to do with my prep not working? Does anyone have any information if RNY patient's have a different Colonoscopy prep. I had such a bad experience and I woke up twice during my procedure which I know has nothing to do with my RNY surgery.

Michelle in NC

catwoman7
on 3/29/22 2:07 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

I doubt your RNY had anything to do with it. There are several of us on here who've had successful colonoscopies.

My last colonoscopy was like that, though - I had to have only liquids starting two days before, and drink a bottle of magnesium citrate that night. The next day I had to start up on GoLytely (or whatever that stuff is called in the gallon bottle). Wasn't quite enough to clean me out. The doctor said afterward that I had "redundant colon" (an unusually long large intestine), so he noted that in my file so I could start the process earlier next time. That wouldn't have had anything to do with my RNY, but i was kind of wondering if maybe my colon was unusually long because I weighed almost 400 lbs at one time? Not sure. I'll ask next time I see someone who might have some insight on that. I just know the first colonoscopy I had, in 2010, was fine (although I weighed close to 400 lbs then, so I would have thought my colon would have already stretched, if that was in fact the cause). So..who knows?

RNY 06/03/15 by Michael Garren (Madison, WI)

HW: 373 SW: 316 GW: 150 LW: 138 CW: 163

catwoman7
on 3/29/22 2:12 pm
RNY on 06/03/15

well, then again, maybe it DOES have something to do with it. Just googled this:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/34657191/

Jmm4321
on 3/29/22 11:17 pm, edited 3/29/22 4:18 pm

I had a Sadi DS which I'm sure caused an issue for colonoscopy. Normally I have a major bowel cleanout most mornings, and the day of the colonoscopy I didn't. I think the drinks and pills are not effective and in some ways interferes with the normal functioning of the altered digestive system.

I also think the early morning scheduling of the colonoscopy didn't help. I eventually had the colonoscopy about 8 months later but had to try different cleanout drinks and scheduled an afternoon procedure for more time to clear things out.

catwoman7
on 3/30/22 5:50 am
RNY on 06/03/15

my first one was a morning procedure. The nurse clued me in to always choose an afternoon one since that way you don't have to drink all that awful prep in one evening - you do half the night before and the other half the next morning. So I did that the second time around. So much better!!

Most Active