Latex Mattress

AW
on 10/27/22 3:58 am

Is a latex mattress a good type of mattress for a heavy person? My spring mattress needs replacing and I'm trying to figure out whether to get a latex mattress or a memory foam.

Most people use memory foam mattresses now but I've been reading they don't have the bounce needed to help a large person move when in the bed. memory foam can be difficult to move from side to side.

Is latex good for someone plus size do you know?

I don't want to fork out a lot of money and then realize it was a stupid idea.

Thanx
AW

Partlypollyanna
on 10/27/22 3:12 pm
RNY on 02/14/18

I would not go with just a memory foam. I bought a new mattress pre WLS and the research on what was good for heavy people led me to get a Saatva, it's a spring, latex and pillow top mattress and worked great previously and was so comfy I haven't bothered to change it. I can't remember all the research outcomes but know I definitely wanted something with springs.

HW: 306 SW: 282 GW: 145 (reached 2/6/19) CW:150

Jen

AW
on 11/1/22 6:57 am

Thanks Partlypollyanna.
Sounds like you had a great experience with switching to latex.

As you say, I don't think an all memory foam is a good choice. It has that dead feel that makes it difficult to move around in. I've done a little research too. The saatva looks like a solid option. And there are some clear advantages of latex mattress for heavy people - not just the natural bounce. This is a good round up here - latex mattress pros and cons. They're hypoallergenic and good for allergies. And they are eco friendly.

Do you think you need to get one that has a spring base with latex on top? I was thining of going all latex. But I hadn't really thought about mixing it up with a combination of springs and latex. It would probably help with getting in and ut of bed?

:)

Cautiously_Hopeful
on 10/27/22 4:07 pm
WLS on 07/15/22

I do have a latex mattress. There are no springs but it does have cores for support. Part of what sold me on it initially is that they're supposed to be cooler than regular mattresses. I'd say that's true. This past year I have added a memory foam topper since I had previously liked firmer mattresses but seem to feel everything more as I age. Part of what helped was going in and laying down on everything they had on display. So for me, latex worked. No springs in mine, though.

HW 282, LW 123.4 (8/29/23), CW 144.4

Pre-op-33, M1-12, M2-17, M3-14, M4-11, M5-14, M6-5, M7-6, M8-5, M9-22, M10-6, M11-5, M12-2, M13-2, M14-5

FinallyBecomingMe
on 10/29/22 1:59 pm, edited 11/1/22 9:48 pm

I bought Ikeas best springs and a foam topper I think mattress for about $479 I think for a queen for Brooklyn and also for Florida .

I liked it so much I bought the same for Long Island - and im equally comfortable wherever I go .

I really liked bamboo / no outgassing plastic mattresses to but they were way out of my modest price range .

Most Active