Not really for weight loss per se.

dJenn
on 11/16/22 10:18 am

Hi everyone.

I have reflux bad enough that it is starting to cause changes in the esophagus (Barret's).

From my reading, I understand that intra-abdominal pressure may instigate or aggravate reflux.

I am wondering if removing part of the greater omentum (it folds over and has 2 sections) would reduce the abdominal contents enough to reduce the intra-abdominal pressure. It would only make a slight reduction in weight.

I also have cough-variant asthma and am a singer, so when I cough, you can hear it across a large office floor. The coughing, too, will increase the pressure. Also, one time when I attempted to suppress the cough during a choral rehearsal with a guest conductor, I felt the diaphragmatic hernia tear. (Ow). It has only gotten worse over time.

Do you think that any of the bariatric surgeons in Mexico could do a partial omentectomy for me? Who should I contact?

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/16/22 12:37 pm, edited 11/16/22 4:38 am

Wow is this scary Jen .

Im a sorta singer too ( i front a very popular rock band currently but i starred in many musicals as a kid ) .

One of the questions ive asked is is it my GERD that gives me that low whiskey growling alto voice people find sexy n attractive ?

i dont think anything should stop U from having Bariatric surgery.

Yes the voice does change and you have to work with it but U will accommodate to that and probably like me enjoy appearing and performing on stage much more .

dJenn
on 11/16/22 3:02 pm

Not actually aiming for bariatric surgery. Just brainstorming ways to lower the intra-abdominal pressure.

FinallyBecomingMe
on 11/16/22 12:43 pm

People in the know ( voice coaches etc) say rest Ur voice ... whisper ... drink honey w tea all day before a performance.

it works ! I would only allow surgery as a desperate last resort.....

dJenn
on 11/16/22 7:36 pm

In order to qualify for reflux surgery, the doc want my BMI under 40 (205 lbs) and preferably at 35 (179 lbs).

I have been following a liver shrinking diet often used before bariatric surgery and so far it seems to be working without leaving me ravenous. I'm getting numerous blood draws to get my INR (blood clotting) checked and those days I have a 'cheat day'.

Start weight: 118 lbs

Current weight: 204.5

Goal weight: a. 205 (BMI 40), b. 179 (BMI 35)

hollykim
on 11/17/22 6:43 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 16, 2022 at 6:18 PM Pacific Time, dJenn wrote:

Hi everyone.

I have reflux bad enough that it is starting to cause changes in the esophagus (Barret's).

From my reading, I understand that intra-abdominal pressure may instigate or aggravate reflux.

I am wondering if removing part of the greater omentum (it folds over and has 2 sections) would reduce the abdominal contents enough to reduce the intra-abdominal pressure. It would only make a slight reduction in weight.

I also have cough-variant asthma and am a singer, so when I cough, you can hear it across a large office floor. The coughing, too, will increase the pressure. Also, one time when I attempted to suppress the cough during a choral rehearsal with a guest conductor, I felt the diaphragmatic hernia tear. (Ow). It has only gotten worse over time.

Do you think that any of the bariatric surgeons in Mexico could do a partial omentectomy for me? Who should I contact?

I had my surgery at Mexicali bariatric center. They are excellent.
www.mexicalibariatriccenter.com.

dJenn
on 11/18/22 2:59 pm

What surgeon did you have?

hollykim
on 11/19/22 4:14 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On November 18, 2022 at 10:59 PM Pacific Time, dJenn wrote:

What surgeon did you have?

dr. Ungson

White Dove
on 11/18/22 11:42 am - Warren, OH

It is unusual that you would want to maintain that weight and BMI. Most people would want RNY to get rid of the GERD and to get rid of about 100 pounds.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

dJenn
on 11/18/22 2:50 pm

Actually, I seem to be losing weight with the liver shrinking diet of several high protein shakes and a small meal plus some green vegetables and multivitamin. I haven't been obsessed with food the way I was when I did Weigh****chers some time ago. I checked with the APN for the reflux surgeon and got the go ahead to continue. I'm going to see how this goes. I'm already down just over 10 pounds without being obsessed with food, nor particularly hungry.

After reading about the side effects and possible complications of the various bariatric surgeries, I decided not to do those. I have more than enough medical issues to manage, not weight-related, particularly the triple positive antiphospholipid syndrome which has already resulted in a shoulder replacement and a small stroke. This condition has a high risk of blood clots.

A partial omentectomy could reduce intra-abdominal pressure and improve the function of my kidneys which are slightly impaired, my reflux, and my improve my lung function. The reduced pressure should also reduce the risk of the crural repair from failing, which happens fairly often regardless of repair type.

Most Active