have hard time to lose weight to qualify for weight loss surgery and was anybody at my having...

Brookline Petrea
on 11/20/23 11:33 am

I weigh over 500 lbs and have hard time to lose weight to qualify for weight loss surgery and was anybody at my having trouble loss weight to qualify for surgery

fishermang
on 11/27/23 7:06 am

I think you should adjust your diet and exercise regularly

Kathleen W.
on 11/26/23 7:00 am - Lancaster, PA

I can't speak for everyone. We all have struggles before WLS,

I had trouble losing before, also. What I had to do before was go to WW. I tend to under estimate how much I was actually eating.With WW, I had to be accountable how much that went into my mouth by recording what I was really eating, Also, I was learning proper nutrition for healthy lifestyle habits. It helped that I got weighed every week so I can see the progress I was making.

There are people that use different programs during the pre surgery stage: WW, Noom, nutrisystem, etc. Look for the style that would suit you best.

Good Luck.

SW 327
GW 150
CW 126

Jmm4321
on 11/27/23 9:03 pm

I gained about 8 pounds during the required nutritionist sessions over several months. The insurance requirement is usually to attend the visits with nutritionists, not to lose a certain amount of weight. I was borderline at 40 bmi and felt the insurance company was looking for an excuse to deny the surgery if I lost too much weight.

Ccecejac
on 11/28/23 2:44 am, edited 11/27/23 6:46 pm
Mini Gastric Bypass on 02/06/20

Hi Brookline Petrea,

You are not alone with this matter. We as advocates for people with obesity trying to get bills pass in helping people in your situation get the medical services and resources they need to improve their health. Have you tried looking into other insurance plans that might cover your weight loss surgery? Talk with your primary care doctor to see if she can provide a referral stating you need this weight loss surgery due to medical reason,,,,,I hope this help.

Meanwhile, try some water aerobic exercise it burns a lot of calories no pressure on your joints. For lots of people facing obesity it is difficulty for some of them to walk to get exercise because the excessive weight and pressure on their joints cannot tolerate the pain. You can invest in a Stationary Bike helps relieve tension in your legs and joints.. .

Pray about it to the Lord is the best answer. I wish you well on your weight loss surgery.

God bless

TheWombat
on 11/29/23 2:38 pm
VSG on 06/11/18

One thing that might help you is to remind yourself that what you're going through at the moment is temporary. I'm not saying everything will be easy after surgery -- it won't. But after surgery things should be significantly easier.

Here's my story; maybe you can relate to it. Before surgery, any time I tried to lose weight, my body was fighting against me. I would start a diet, and even though it was hard, and I was constantly hungry, I could stick to it -- as long as I was losing weight. But eventually the weight loss would stop. I would stick with it a little longer, but eventually my willpower would run out.

After surgery, my body was no longer fighting me. As long as I ate the kind of foods I was supposed to eat, I would lose weight and I felt satisfied. I reached my goal in a little over a year, and I've kept it off. (I'm 5 years post-op). My body is giving much clearer signals now about what it needs to stay healthy, and I'm listening.

Another tip is to write down everything you eat, good or bad. When you review it, focus on the things you eat most often; is there a healthier alternative that you would enjoy as much and would make you feel fuller for longer? This is a good habit to get into, and will help you so much after surgery.

LisaK/ UnstapledLisa
on 12/1/23 9:56 am - plymouth, MN

You got a lot of good advice.

One thing I want to add is the head part has to come a long with the physical changes you want, actually it has to to come FIRST.

We all vary but for what I see being in the wls communities for so long is how people get to the point to go through their surgeon's protocols for weight loss and hopefully under the care of a therapist is getting to the bottom of how food became our combination best friend/worst enemy.

Can't speak for all the wls community with the next thing I'm going to say is a lot of us have unaddressed trauma the proceeded our food addiction issues and if it's not dealt with prior to and/or while going thru the surgical process.

I didn't have trauma before though having food addiction/eating disordered behaviors, I was born a food addict, even though I was adequately fed (at least as a young child, as I got older is a whole other story) I craved food even as a toddler.

I got horrifically bullied as a young child to adulthood, family was not supportive they felt because I was "fat and ugly" I kind of deserved it.

I am not trying to make this about me, I'm seeing if anything I'm saying if you the OP or anyone who's reading this and is going through the same struggle can relate and it rings a bell of truth and can help with healing emotionally.

Food isn't my best friend or worst enemy and neither am I my own worst enemy even more.

And a lot of people (talking "grads", my 22nd anniversary of my rny is in 4 days) look at that way but our generation wasn't as well prepared as the generation of post ops are now.

The best way I can put it is once you work on the head part of the journey, it's easier to understand why the behaviors with food exist and it's better to break harmful eating behaviors with food before surgery than after when it's forced behavior modification and not everything psych wise was addressed that needed to be, that's what makes wls peeps vulnerable to transfer addictions where patients weigh less but they truthfully aren't any healthier.

You've got this, you will get where you want to be, it's not an overnight process though, just trust and work with your professional team and ask for support from your peers.

peace, Lisa

ddurst001
on 12/6/23 7:55 am
RNY on 06/19/19

I am sorry to hear that you were having a hard time losing the weight to get approved for the surgery.

the first thing I did was I cut out all carbonated drinks. I had a small breakfast or sometimes even just a protein drink. For lunch I would eat a salad with either tuna, shrimp or chicken on it. Go light with the dressing. Dinner I would eat fish lots of vegetables. Keep in mind you need to cut out white rice if you want rice go to Brown. Limit your intake of pasta. I added tuna, salmon, and shrimp as my main meal. Drink water 30 minutes prior to you wanting to eat. Do not drink anything with your meal.

as my main meal. Drink water 30 minutes prior to you wanting to eat. Do not drink anything with your meal.

I hope my information I have provided will help you lose the wait you need to get your surgery.

wait you need to get your surgery.

Take care

(deactivated member)
on 3/12/24 12:28 pm

I understand your situation. Before considering a weight loss procedure, be sure to discuss your current health status with your doctor, identify any problems that may affect your ability to lose weight, and discuss treatment options.

Most Active