Exercising For a Healthy Heart

It’s no secret that Americans are becoming heavier. It is estimated that 65% of the population is overweight or obese. There are many contributing factors to this statistic: technology has allowed us to have more sedentary jobs, longer work weeks, busier schedules that lead us to more convenient foods, less time to cook meals, and less family meals together. When you break it down to its simplest form, we eat too much and don’t move enough. I am keenly aware of this in my work as a registered dietitian in a bariatric surgery practice. Most of my patients know they need to be more active, but actually making this a permanent lifestyle choice is a bit more complicated. Although diet plays a part in a healthy heart and body, we are going to focus on exercise.

What can exercise do for you? Most people know exercise is essential for cardiovascular health, but the benefits of exercise are much greater than just achieving a healthy heart. In addition to improving blood circulation, which reduces the risk of heart disease, here are just some of the other benefits of exercise:

• Weight maintenance
• Improves blood cholesterol levels
• Decreases high blood pressure
• Prevents bone loss
• Boosts energy levels
• Helps manage stress and relieve tension
• Decreases anxiety and depression
• Improves sleep
• Improves self-image
• Increases muscle strength
• Helps delay or prevent chronic illnesses and diseases
• Helps maintain quality of life

And that’s just to name a few. With all the attributes of exercise, it is obvious why we should all engage in some type of physical activity.

But what exactly is considered exercise? I ask my patients just about every time I see them how they exercise. The answers vary. Some people are honest and tell me they do no physical activity. Others report that they walk their dogs, take the stairs instead of the elevator, chase their children or grandchildren, or clean their house. While all of these activities are good, and being more active is beneficial to health, they may not always meet the definition of exercise. The definition of exercise is physical activity that is planned, structured, and repetitive for the purpose of conditioning any part of the body. Exercise is utilized to improve health, maintain fitness, and is important as a means of physical rehabilitation. The American Heart Association (AHA) recommends 150 minutes per week of moderate exercise or 75 minutes per week of vigorous exercise (or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity). An easy way to remember this is 30 minutes a day, five times a week. The AHA also reports that for each hour of regular exercise you do, you’ll gain about two hours of additional life expectancy.

I teach indoor cycling classes and use an intensity scale to help my students gauge their exertion level. The intensity scale is a scale from 1 to 10. A level 1 is no exertion and a level 10 is the most intense exertion you can stand. Most people walk around and do daily activities of?living at around a level 3 or 4. Moderate exercise means you are working at a 6 or 7 on the intensity scale. This is a pace that you can maintain for at least 15 minutes and still talk. Vigorous exercise means you are working at a 7 or 8 on the intensity scale. This is a pace that you can maintain for about 5 to 8 minutes. Breathing is harder so you will still be able to talk, but you will have to pause for breaths between phrases. If you would like an even more accurate account of your exertion during exercise, I recommend wearing a heart rate monitor. A heart rate monitor is a special watch that measures your heart rate during exercise. Moderate exercise is between 65% and 75% of your maximum heart rate. Vigorous exercise increases your heart rate between 75% and 85% of your maximum heart rate.

If you have never exercised before or it has been a long time, start slowly. I firmly believe that small changes are easier to make and maintain for a lifetime. If you go full steam ahead, you are more likely to burn out quickly or give up completely. Any activity you do is better than none. If you don’t think you can last for the full 30 minutes, start with 10 minutes. It is just as beneficial to break up the 30 minutes into three 10 minutes sessions. Set small goals for yourself. Commit to a 10 minute walk twice a week. When that is manageable, increase the days per week to four or increase your time to 20 minutes. Continue to add to your goal until you have reached 30 minutes, five days a week. Find an exercise buddy and hold each other accountable. Some people prefer a class setting (like aerobics, rowing, or cycling) to help motivate them, while others would rather use their IPod on the treadmill or to walk outside. Figure out what motivates you and follow that lead.

The decision to make exercise a permanent part of your healthy lifestyle is easy in theory, but hard when life gets in the way. I have struggled with my weight since I was 12 years old. I have also struggled with exercise. Since my own weight loss surgery, I have come to accept the fact that if I want to maintain my current weight, I will have to exercise. And believe me, I used to fight it and hate it. Even though I’m an indoor cycling instructor, sometimes I still don’t want to do it, but I’m always glad I did. It’s what I do. That’s my mantra, stolen from my favorite psychologist and friend, Connie Stapleton. It’s what I do. Now go make it what you do.

Bryn Hamilton, RD, LD has been a Registered Dietitian for nearly 22 years and has worked exclusively with bariatric patients for the past seven years. She is certified in Adult Weight Management by the American Dietetic Association.

Related Content:
Heart Healthy Exercise

Track, Compare, Succeed
Monitoring Your Exercise Program for Long-Term Success

OH Exercise and Fitness Forum

Track your exercise and fitness benefits by using the OH Health Tracker. Click here.

Most Active