Recent Posts

White Dove
on 9/26/20 9:19 am
Topic: RE: Is there anything that has happened, that you wish you knew/to expect before your surgery?

I spent four years debating, talking to people who had the surgery, studying, and trying to do it without surgery. I really did not understand it until I went through it myself.

My insurance was CIGNA. They had a board that met once a month to discuss whether of not to approve surgeries. My request was not submitted in time for that month, so I had to wait until after the next monthly meeting. The lady from the insurance called me as soon as it was approved.

A few hours later the director of my surgical center called to let me know I was approved. I acted excited and did not tell her that I already knew. Does your insurance have a board that reviews claims? Did they tell you to expect an answer today? It took me about six weeks to get approval.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

catwoman7
on 9/26/20 7:21 am
RNY on 06/03/15
Topic: RE: Is there anything that has happened, that you wish you knew/to expect before your surgery?

not really - but I did a lot of reading and joined this forum and others about a year before surgery, so between that and the pre-op classes at my clinic, I felt pretty well-prepared.

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/26/20 5:17 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16
Topic: RE: Boyfriend fighting me on learning about weight loss surgery

There are several potential reasons for this reaction, but they are mostly based on fear of loss. One is that the surgery will be dangerous: education can help. Weight Loss Surgery for a Dummies is a good book spelling out the facts. Another is the fear that they will lose you because you may become more attractive and not want to be with them anymore. Finally, there may be the fear that they themselves won't like the thinner you as some men like their women to be heavier.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Liz WantsHealthForAll
on 9/26/20 4:45 am - Cape Cod, MA
VSG on 03/28/16
Topic: RE: How often do you weigh yourself?

I weigh daily. I committed to that mentally when I decided on WLS because I felt it was important to get that serious. I had lost and gained so many times over the years I knew this had to be different.

I actually only weighed once a month while in the weight loss period, but daily once I hit maintenance. I wasn't weighing last year while my DH went downhill and that resulted in a 20 pound regain. I went back to weighing and tracking daily and got rid of the regain earlier this year.

Liz 5'3" HW: 219 SW: 185 GW: 125 LW: 113 Desired maintenance range: 120-123 CW: 120 (after losing 20 lb. regain)!

Cathy H.
on 9/26/20 4:17 am
VSG on 10/31/16
Topic: RE: Can we talk "Chaffles"?

All popular options for ketogenic diet. If you don't know much about keto, then that's probably why you haven't heard of them. The majority of people here at OH tend to be low fat and/or low carb, high protein, so lots of keto options aren't popular because of the high fat content.

5'3", CW: 165 Ultimate Goal: 150 ............. Livin' La KETO Loca!!
134 lbs lost since surgery, 195 overall!! Initial goal reached 9/15/17, (10.5 months)!
SW*: 299 GW: 175 HW 3/2015: 360 PSW* 5/2016: 330 *PSW=Prog Start Wt; SW=Surgery Wt

M1 -31, M2 -10, M3 -15, M4 -16, M5 -8, M6 -6, M7 -11, M8 -8, M9 -8, M10 -4, M10.5 -7 GOAL

Want2beMe
on 9/25/20 7:29 pm
VSG on 08/17/20

I wanted my insurance to approve surgery sooner, but had to see the dietician monthly for 6 months and then surgery was scheduled 2 months after. I expected to have a weight loss goal prior to surgery, but I wasn't given any. I didn't have to join a support group because I'm in TOPS (take off pounds sensibly). The procedure I assume went great and my recovery has been better then I expected.

houda
on 9/25/20 6:04 pm
Topic: RE: OPTIFAST QUESTION !!!! HELP PLEASE !!!!

another person suggested gas-x

I will try it maybe you can look into.

hopefully it will help us

Want2beMe
on 9/25/20 5:43 pm
VSG on 08/17/20
Topic: RE: OPTIFAST QUESTION !!!! HELP PLEASE !!!!

I drink premier protein twice daily, but my menstrual cycle started and the taste is disgusting and I get gas in my stomach. Dont know if menstrual cycle can have that affect, but that is my guess. Your not alone and I don't know what to do about the gas.

Tekish
on 9/25/20 5:07 pm
On September 25, 2020 at 10:28 PM Pacific Time, SuMari wrote:

Is there anything that has happened, that you wish you knew/to expect before your surgery? ( good things bad things )

Hoping to get an answer from my insurance company today! but, with it being so close to 5pm, I'm thinking I am not going to get anything today! So, I am hoping to see what others have come to expect or didn't expect, both good an bad from having surgery.

Not a whole lot happened post-op that I hadn't read about pre-op.

I paid close attention to anything my surgeon said, in the seminar, in the documents provided, to the discussions in the support, to the intake discussions. I went out of my way to find journals, studies, articles, message boards, books, magazine articles about WLS. I also accidentally learned a lot about radio station WLS in Chicago.

I talked with anyone willing to be grilled about WLS.

I basically beat WLS with a stic****il it had nothing left to give me.

I learned about complications both frequent and infrequent, then developed a plan for how I would deal with them, if such was in my power.

By time I got to my first one on one appointment with my Doc, I could answer his questions without pause. He tried to shock me with certain complications and I was able to tell him how I would deal with them. I also asked him how he would handle certain situations. It's good to show your Doc you have done your homework.

Go get something, insurance will disappoint you every time.

Good luck,

Tek

White Dove
on 9/25/20 4:59 pm
Topic: RE: Boyfriend fighting me on learning about weight loss surgery

Most people think that surgery is just taking the easy way out. They think you should just diet and exercise. I bet a lot of your time together has to do with food and he is worried about losing his eating partner.

It is also common for the partner to think that you are going to lose weight, be more attractive to other men, and that you are going to abandon them. The emotional issues with this surgery are real and often need the help of a therapist.

While you are researching, read the book, Emotional First Aid After Weight Loss Surgery. It goes into all of these issues and gives you an idea of what other issues are likely to come up. Do a lot of research before making a decision that can drastically change your life forever.

For now, it is a good idea to do the research on your own and don't try to keep him involved. This board is a good place to come and ask us questions. We have members with many years of experience who have been through every issue that will come up and will be glad to help you.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends