Recent Posts

Member Services
on 1/19/21 3:58 pm - Irvine, CA
Topic: RE: Bariatric fusion vitamins and black stool?

Iron causes me some horrible pains in my stomach and I was told to take them with food to help alleviate the stomach upset. I was cautioned to not take them with calcium or within two hours of taking my calcium, so I had to come up with a schedule to get all of my vitamins in and not have stomach discomfort.

I was able to finally get on a schedule and the pain did subside. Whenever I take the iron on an empty stomach or I don't have a lot on my stomach, I have pain. This wasn't always the case, early on I was fine. It seemed to happen about my 4 yr po. I also have rny and our time frame is about the same. You might try this method as well, see if it works for you. I am sorry I don't have any better options or suggestions. I do hope you find some alleviation of the issue.

Dee_Caprini
on 1/19/21 12:40 pm
Topic: How were your Holidays?

How was everyone's Bubble over the Holiday/New Year? We are starting to hear about individuals who got together over the holidays, and now / last week we're getting notifications of large family groups who contracted the virus. I hope you all are healthy and doing alright out there.

Dee_Caprini
on 1/19/21 12:33 pm
Topic: RE: Will you be getting the Covid Vaccine?

My parents are over 65 and they both received the vaccine yesterday and my little sister received it within the last week. I am low key jealous and can't wait for my turn. My sister works with Kidney patients in a dialysis center so she absolutely needs it.

Dee_Caprini
on 1/19/21 12:31 pm
Topic: RE: One thing I am looking forward to... new clothes

I can totally agree with this! I was so excited to shop at regular stores! Still am. But I think my hangup now is that I want clothes to fit a certain way and my skin gets in the way. Not that I am complaining. I will take skin any day that having the fat that filled it. Find a goal outfit and hang it up for inspiration!

ProshopperLinda
on 1/19/21 12:07 pm - PA
Topic: RE: Bariatric fusion vitamins and black stool?

The more iron you take the darker the stools get. Mine have been almost black at times because I doubled up so I could donate blood. As far as pain they can cause irritation of the stomach lining which is painful! I had an EGD done and that's what they found in mine. I was taking Dual Action Advil along with excessive iron for two weeks and was getting pain in my whole stomach and bowel area. As soon as I found out I quit both and the pain lessened until it went away. I would call the doctor and tell them about the iron if your pain doesn't go away. The color should change within a few days and if it doesn't definitely call your doctor! Good luck!

ProshopperLinda
on 1/19/21 11:56 am - PA
Topic: RE: Worried about the psychological evaluation

When I had my WLS 10 years ago I had to get the psych evaluation first. I got a yellow light because I told them I was having a problem with not drinking water with meals! Not because I had ADD, depression and was medicated. They wanted to make sure I could stick to the program to have success! That I wasn't using food to medicate and didn't binge on food. About 2 weeks later I had a phone call with the psych again and I passed that time. Good luck! Personally I would find someone to talk to as I've found untreated issues only get worse over time. I found out I had ADD when I was 55! I had my surgery at 56.

califsleevin
on 1/18/21 5:48 pm - CA
Topic: RE: Help

The closest that I can suggest is Paul Kemmeter, who is over in Grand Rapids (at least it's the same state!) as he seems to be well regarded in the DS (duodenal switch) world. I like to use the DS as a proxy for sleeve experience, as it uses the sleeve as its basis, so DS surgeons tend to be more experienced with the sleeve than "normal" bariatric surgeons. This is not as big of a deal as it used to be as most bariatric surgeons now have enough experience with it to be functionally competent, but when I had mine done almost ten years ago, most were just learning it and there were more complications and needed revisions as a result. I travelled from LA to SF to get mine done by a practice that had been doing them for close to twenty years at the time, so it was well worth the trip as even in a large market such as LA no one had that level of experience at the time.

The travelling may not be worth the trouble at this time (if you can find any good local recommendations) but it is something to consider in the rare case that a revision is needed in the future, as the DS docs are more likely to be able to correct a problem with a sleeve while many others prefer to revise such cases to a bypass as they may not be that confident enough to repair the sleeve.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/18/21 8:51 am
Topic: RE: What would you do?

Check and join the daily Menu Post on RNY board. Many people use that as their daily post to plan their food and to learn from others. You don't have to have RNY to post there. There was time I posted things like that every day to be accountable to MYSELF.

Right now, I'm over 12 years post op and I know so much things by heart, and I rather spend my time cooking than posting my menu.

But really, check the RNY board, that group, and the daily Menu post is the most active on OH (IMO)

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

PuggleDad
on 1/17/21 3:44 pm
Topic: RE: Worried about the psychological evaluation

I have bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety, PTSD, insomnia, and ADHD. I had absolutely no issues and did not have to do anything extra. The psych evaluation is just there to make sure you fully grasp what you're about to do, as it is permanent. You can still be "off" as long as they feel you're in control and you can reasonably make this decision for yourself. I feel they're mostly looking for huge red flags.

Most Active
What would you do?
Want2beMe · 4 replies · 265 views
Sugar Free treats
SuMari · 3 replies · 977 views
Help
4_TheFuture · 2 replies · 120 views
How were your Holidays?
Dee_Caprini · 0 replies · 231 views
Recent Topics
How were your Holidays?
Dee_Caprini · 0 replies · 231 views