adasha’s Posts

adasha
on 1/30/20 10:20 am
Topic: RE: Health Issues 10+ years out???

I am curious for all of you who had RNY at least 10 years ago, have you developed any bad health issues? If so, what are they and how is it affecting you? Do you think it has anything to do with the surgery?

Adasha Knight

RNY, 9/30/03, 246/140

Lap-RNY-9-30-03  247/127
Live life today like there is no tomorrow!!!!!

adasha
on 10/1/13 12:33 pm
Topic: RE: TEN YEAR Surgiversary

No one knows. Last year I was hospitalized with a rbc count of 5 and got 3 units of blood, leaving with a 9.6. Not sure if it'll ever be a 12.  No insurance keeps me from having medical care needed, so I don't know...  I take iron every day and do b12 shots every week. 

Lap-RNY-9-30-03  247/127

adasha
on 10/1/13 11:21 am

I have no idea if they're related to it or not, but the list of issues BEFORE surgery were such that I'd probably not be here.  They may be exacerbated by it but, still...  I have fibromyalgia and chronic anemia, which are the main culprits. 

Lap-RNY-9-30-03  247/127

adasha
on 10/1/13 12:15 am

Well, it's been ten years for me.  Wow.  Back on this board, where it all began...  I don't get back here much.  Life gets in the way.  I'd love to report great things, but am not able to. I had 9.5 great years and would not trade them for the world. It was a quality of life I had never had. Other medical conditions have crept in and riddled me helpless a lot of times and I've lost a lot.  I mean, a lot... But I've learned to live for the Now, because that's all we really ever have. I smile every day for what I have, my kids, my grand daughter, and I'm still above the earth, still kickin'!!!  I would do it all over again, and again.  I hope to find cures for what ails me, but if not, I'll continue to live for the moment, and the next, and the next. 

I still can't believe it's been ten years.  Wow!!!

Lap-RNY-9-30-03  247/127

adasha
on 8/25/06 7:04 pm
Topic: RE: Can hair loss really be stopped once started?
My surgeon and nutritionist said "no".  It will happen and there's nothing you can do about it.  Prepare for it and go with the flow.  The hair cycles and it won't stop falling out until it ends that cycle and your weight loss evens out.   Or at least that's what I was told... I lost about 30 strands per day for 3 months, then it stopped.  It grew back curly...
adasha
on 8/25/06 7:01 pm
Topic: RE: WLS Experience.. ALONE.
I certainly can relate... I was in the hospital 4 days, then dropped off at home with my 11 year old and 3 year old.  I found out that the more you move, the better you feel.  I was able to do everything that needed to be done for me and them.  What you do is you plan for each of your "getting up" periods.  You have to eat like every 2 hours so you rest in between.  During those "up" times, you do as much as you can, getting meals prepared, taking care of everyone, and walk, walk, walk.  We lived in an apartment, so I'd walk to the mailboxes and back each time.   The hardest part was getting up.  You don't realize how much you use your stomach muscles for until they've been cut into.  I slept in the recliner for a month.  It was so much easier because I didn't move.  It was also easier to get up from.  I'd put the feet down and rock forward and lean, kindof rolling out forwards - anything to not use the stomach muscles. It sounds like you'll do fine with your 12-year old.  You will be able to do WAY more than you think. I went back to work in 10 days.  I moved slowly, but I drove and worked, took the kids where they needed to go, etc.   Good Luck!
adasha
on 7/7/06 1:16 pm
Topic: RE: What can we take for cramps or migraines?
I am almost 3 years post op and I take anything I want for anything that's wrong with me.  My doctor has never told me there's nothing I shouldn't take, and I take it all.  I've never had a problem with anything.
adasha
on 1/31/06 8:52 pm
Topic: RE: Sugar issues and Glucose Tolerance Test!
Okay - need help if you've been through this. My mind is rusty... Last Wednesday I passed out in the AM for 2 hours. That spawned a horrible migraine that has rebounded every day since then. I went to the doctor Monday because I almost passed out on the way to work and he told me to come back Tuesday for the GTT. What was I thinking? Hello! Dumping! Did I think I was a normal person? He said if my fasting was below 75 I would not have to take the test because he'd know it was hypoglycemia. Well, it was 98 - which I think is high for a fasting sugar... Anyway, they tried to make me drink the orange stuff and of course could only drink half of it because I was then FULL! So the doc said I could not finish the test, would have to come back and do a fasting sugar, go eat a regular meal, then come back 2 hours later for another poke and read. I just don't think that's going to tell them what they need to know. I need to eat sugar donuts and then come back for a poke and read. So, I think I should just ask for one of those blood sugar monitors and begin to do a diary and monitor it myself and report that back to him? What do you think? Anyone else with this experience/problem? And if it is hypoglycemia, what is the cure/treatment for that? Any herbal remedies or medications to MAKE my body process sugar like it's supposed to? Thanks! Adasha
adasha
on 10/6/05 2:03 pm
Topic: RE: 2 YEAR ANNIVERSARY!!!
I cannot believe it's been 2 years since I had surgery. If you're wondering if there's ever a time that you don't think about the surgery, the answer is "not really". It's always a part of you. Although I eat pretty normally now, it's still something that has become a part of my life, chewing a lot, eating slowly, etc. It's like I learned all over again how to eat and live, and that's just how it is. Drink, drink, drink, all day long. And then I also eat all day long. I eat at least 5 times a day and people ask me, "How do you stay so skinny when you eat all of the time?" I still weigh exactly the same as I did when I hit goal. I never gain or lose a pound. It's incredible. As I think back to the past 2 years, it was rocky at first due to the pain factor, getting used to my new life, new habits, etc. Now, I still cannot believe it happened and my life is so different. I'm healthy, living right, loving life. I cannot even imagine what my life would be like had I not had surgery, how much I would weigh, how unhealthy I would be, how miserable I would be. I look back at the photos of me and I cannot believe that's me. Then again, I look at myself in the mirror, and I cannot believe that's me. I am so much more active now. It's so nice to be able to get out on the baseball field and help my son at practice, rather than worry about sweating from the heat and trying to find a place to sit. We just went to Arkansas and did all kinds of things that I would not have been able to do, or would have been miserable trying to do. It's still unbelievable when I go shopping for clothes and look at the 8s and the 10s or the Mediums. It's so nice to be hugged by my boyfriend and feel his arms all the way around me. Yes, there's excess skin, but I'm getting used to it. I'd love for it to be gone, but I'm not willing to go through the pain again, nor the risk of major surgery. My faith is one of the things that carries me through life and I feel that everything happens for a reason. When I left CPS in 2002, I thought that would never happen. I then went to work for an attorney with no benefits, started researching the surgery, then went to work for a law firm that had benefits. I could not believe when I checked their insurance and it covered the surgery "if medically necessary". That was a horrible place to work, and I only worked there as long as necessary, but I feel I was put there for a reason. Had I never gone to work at that specific place at that specific time (they quit covering it shortly after my surgery) it would have never happened. I thank God all of the time for what I've been given. I thank Him for putting me where I needed to be to have done what needed to be done. I thank Him for my second chance at having a real life.
adasha
on 8/30/04 1:32 am
Topic: RE: How To Be A Success!!!
Not that I am aware of. I am no specific religion, so I cannot quote a specific religion. It does, however, come from a book called The Holy Bible. I've seen it in many stores worldwide! I put the specific chapters in case anyone would like to read further. Just as if I had quoted a John Grisham novel, I would have put where the quote came from. Sorry, old habit from English class!
adasha
on 8/29/04 10:58 am
Well, in looking at the last 100 posts of the first lady, most are sarcastic, negative, talk about passing gas, etc. So, I won't let her opinions bother me. The second lady uses "hope and pray" in her posts, so I don't see what her problem is. Oh yeah, now I remember why I don't come to this board!!!!!
adasha
on 8/29/04 10:43 am
Here are the Terms of Service, copied and pasted: Terms of Service By using our Website, you agree not to post anything, anywhere that is unlawful, harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, demeaning, mocking, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful, racially or ethnically objectionable, or that may be construed as invasive of another's privacy. ObesityHelp.com assumes no responsibility, legal or otherwise, for the content of the postings within. However, we will have sole discretion to remove any postings deemed inappropriate, without warning or explanation. Repeat offenders may be reported to their ISP and/or banned from this site. Also ---- NO profanity NO attacks upon beliefs NO personal attacks NO mediumship discussions, neither general nor specific NO advertisements/solicitations for products and/or services NO private information (postal addresses, phone #'s, etc. on public areas NO re-transmissions of messages, to or from this website NO copying or using of email addresses or other contact information Sorry, but I see nothing regarding religious beliefs. I DO, however, see NO attacks upon beliefs.
adasha
on 8/29/04 10:22 am
I cannot FIND a Christianity board. Maybe you could send me the link? I searched. I am not preaching any specific religion. I am non-denominational and would never "FORCE" my religion on others. That's why I said if you don't like it or it offends someone, then don't read it. I am extremely tolerant of others' beliefs and would hope everyone on this board would be the same.
adasha
on 8/29/04 8:08 am
Isn't there a post like 3 before mine asking for prayers???
adasha
on 8/29/04 8:04 am
Sorry! Didn't mean to "offend" anyone! I always see people asking for prayers for things that are going on in their lives. Didn't know it was against the rules. I always feel that if you don't believe in something or don't like something, don't read it. That's how I live MY life.
adasha
on 8/29/04 6:14 am
Y'all, I go to THE most wonderful church!!! Every Saturday night, it's like they are talking to me and only me! Tonight's sermon was so true for all of us, and I wanted to share with you. How to be a Success!!! The lesson comes from Paul in the Philippians 3:12-21. Paul's Steps to Successful Living: 1. Evaluation - face my faults What in my life do I need to change? Do a personal inventory. We must see where we are now in order to move forward. 2. Elimination - forget the past What memory is holding me back? There are two things we must forget: 1. Our failures - we cannot do anything to change the past. We must learn from it and let it go! 2. Our successes - if you dwell on your success, you'll get stagnant and stop growing or moving forward! 3. Concentration - focus on the goal What am I living my life for? What am I focusing on? Write down your goals! Only 5% of the population write down their goals. Those are the 5% who are true successes in what they do. 4. Determination - fight to the finish Do I keep on keeping on? Nothing worthwhile in life happens without effort. How to keep on keeping on: 1. Be mature 2. Be teachable 3. Be persistent Don't give up!!! "Let us not grow weary in doing good. For at the proper time, we will reap a harvest if we do not give up." -Galatians 6:9 God loves us and I love all of you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Adasha 247/144@goal!!!
adasha
on 8/28/04 12:39 pm
Topic: RE: Mr. Know-it-all!!
I'd LOVE to see him walking out of the hospital that night and getting in the car, riding home hitting bumps, etc. Some people like that, you just have to smile and say, "Okay, you must be right." Then let him eat his words later.
adasha
on 8/20/04 12:02 pm
Topic: RE: Effexor ?
Take it at bedtime!
adasha
on 8/20/04 11:58 am
Topic: RE: HAD SURGERY, NOW INSURANCE DENIED?????????
I would bet that the surgeon's office did not code it correctly when they filed. Have them check that out. If they approved you, they have to pay.
adasha
on 6/26/04 1:46 pm
Topic: RE: Scared I'm done at 5 mos out-Help!
Obviously I was signed in as another user above! SORRY!
adasha
on 4/7/04 12:41 am
Topic: RE: Why I'm on Dr. Phil today...
In response to questions as to why I was on there... I had surgery 9/30/03 but went out to film his show 5 days before. So, you all get to see me in all of my fat glory... The show was entitled "My Toxic Parent" or "My Gripe with my Mom". My mom and I have had problems since day 1 and when I wrote asking for advice, they called us to be on the show. We were the "headliners" because we were the most screwed up. In fact, he said we had a "sick relationship". Basically what happens is my mom controls us in any way possible. It's a catch 22 relaionship where she offers help and if you don't accept, you are an ungrateful child. If you do accept, then she holds it over you in order to control you. This show upset me in that they filmed me at my house "having a nice family moment" eating ice-cream. However, when my mom is shown talknig about her concerns with my weight, they show me eating that ice-cream. They also filmed my big butt walking away from the camera. Nice..... As for "since then", my mom actually did listen. He said a lot more after the show than he did during, including telling me to get away from her. I think she got the hint and has been very much more civil since then. I think my surgery also snapped her into reality because I wouldn't let her help me at all, not even stay with me at the hospital. I didn't want to "owe" her for anything. I still don't let her help me at all, for fear of her saying "I supported you and your kids...". So, things are better. I won't get to watch the show today until tonight but I remember him being very hard on her. I hope it doesn't make me sad. Even though she's tough on me, I hate to see anyone get their feelings hurt. Maybe that's why I've always given into her????? Thanks for all of your concerns. Don't forget to write in afterwards so I can redeeem myself!!!! Thanks Adasha -82 pounds
adasha
on 4/6/04 12:34 pm
Topic: RE: Dr. Phil Tomorrow
Reminder - I'm disgraced tomorrow on Dr. Phil. After the last post, there was a great idea given. You can go to his website and make comments about a show and maybe if everyone writes in that they are wanting to know "How Adasha is doing now with her mom and her weight loss???" maybe they'll bring me on to save face???? Like an update???? Just a thought. Here's the link... http://www.drphil.com/email/email_phil_show.jhtml Adasha
adasha
on 4/2/04 1:43 pm
Topic: RE: Birth Control After surgery
I use the Ortho Evra patch and have since I weighed 247 pounds. I have been termed Fertile Myrtle by my relatives and the fact that the patch has ALWAYS worked for me must mean it's effective. I love it because you slap it on once a week, no pills to take, and no side effects at all, and trust me, if a pill has a side effect, it'll affect me! Good luck! Adasha
adasha
on 4/2/04 11:35 am
Topic: RE: Vote for Easton!!!
I know this is off topic, but I also know I can always count on all of you! My precious son.... among all of the beautiful women.... Please vote for Easton (but only once or he'll be disqualified!) http://www.babyzone.com/contest/photovote.asp?type=preschool Adasha
adasha
on 3/30/04 11:19 am
Topic: RE: very hungry!!!!!
I feel like that often, usually late at night. When I feel ravenous, I call it, I eat something I can eat a lot of, like soup or watermelon. Hits the spot! Adasha -81
Most Active