Newbie from Dallas, TX

SassySenior
on 10/14/11 10:05 pm - DALLAS, TX
I am 65, and at high risk with a high BMI  & co-morbidities, including arthritis and diabetes, etc. I have been studying wls for 10 years. I have Medicare now and can get the surgery. I'm going with the Lap Band. I'm on the pre-op diet, and have lost 25 pounds in 3 months.

I live in Dallas and have chosen the best surgeon in the Southwest, but I am thinking of changing because his office is quite far away. So now I'm looking for the 2nd best surgeon. I'm a member of at least 5 groups to get a balanced view. They range from gastric bypass to lap-band to hard core fanatics who hate the surgeries and have had horrible experiences. I have a lot of links and information for anyone who wants it.

I would love to hear from anyone who can relate to me.
acbbrown
on 10/15/11 3:41 pm - Granada Hills, CA
Can I ask, why after studying for 10 years, you are going with the lap band? Statistically speaking, it is the worse WLS, but even more so for those of us with high BMIs. The boards here are full of people revising from the band b/c of little to no weight loss and complications.

I had the sleeve which works great and allows NSAIDs for things like arthritis and what not.

Congrats on your weight loss so far and good luck to you!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

fayhog2001
on 10/17/11 12:40 pm - TX
VSG on 03/21/12 with
WELCOME!!  I live in Little Elm and am using Dr. Nick Nicholson who is located at the Baylor Plano facility.  I visited several seminars and just felt most comfortable with Dr. Nick.  Dr Provost is also very good but you must go with one that you feel you will be most likely to follow-up with regularly (especially with the band).

The great thing about Dr. Nick is that he will not try to sway you into one surgery or the other...Although I, also, will be having the sleeve next year, Dr. Nick makes it clear that the decision is different for everyone and he feels a person will be only as successful as their commitment and comfort with their surgical choice.

Good Luck!  There are several support groups in the area that I already attend...send me a private message if you want to know more.
Brenda C.
on 10/22/11 1:56 pm
Hey Sassy,

You have to be comfortable with your hospital/surgeon/group - if you want to succeed.  I had issues with the hospital I was originally going to have surgery at, so I started over, from square one.  Finding a surgeon and a program I could work with was paramount - considering the person I was having a conflict with was also the support group leader.

As long as you are going to a Center of Excellence, who cares if the surgeon is ranked number two? 

I agree with you about wanting a balanced view, I spent as long as you figuring out my surgery.  Sadly, Medicare won't cover VSG - otherwise you should consider that.  If you go Band, then just do everythign you are told, and you will be fine.  I went RNY, sometimes wonder if I should have went a different direction, but that is what life is -- second guessing.  Try to listen to YOU, then you won't go wrong.

All surgeries have their supporters, have you asked your surgeon - or if you are changing - ask the perspective surgeon their opinion.  The more you study, the better the results, in my opinion.  Many folks don't have to "work" for their surgeries, and those are the folks (in the case of my friends - I have watched 17 go before me) who don't do as well as those who had worked for theirs.

You want to hear the worst part of my surgery?  They found my absorbed twin in my stomach - so my surgery lasted 6 1/2 hours; I had a hernia repair split, so I had a longer recovery then expected; I wasn't able to exercise the first three months after - due to the split repair.  In my book that is so "not an issue", and I am still puttering along 11 months later, and doing pretty well.  I try to follow my plan, I take my supplements, I exercise, and I am pretty happy with how my journey is going.

Your attitude will help dictate how well you do.  Trust your gut.

Brenda : )~
Most Active