Sleeve vs Gastric

Cards44
on 11/23/11 2:37 am - IL
VSG on 07/24/12

Hi guys

I just talked with my surgeons office and they have informed me that I am elgible for WLS and that I am able to go with the Gastric or the Sleeve due to my BMI being high.  I have done some research on the sleeve and it looks to be about the same as gastric but with a little less loss of weight.  Not sure how up to date that info is.  

Has anyone done extensive research or maybe have had the Sleeve surgery that may have thoughts on these surgeries.

Thanks for any info

Bob

acbbrown
on 11/23/11 3:43 am - Granada Hills, CA
Gastric isnt really a surgery - do you mean the RNY (commonly referred to as gastric bypass) or the D/S?

I had the sleeve. I think my weight loss is comparable to RNY patients. I think the overall research suggests that there is not a big difference in the rate/amount of loss. Long term studies for the VSG are limited though just for the fact that it hasnt regularly been performed as a WLS for as long as the RNY.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

LaToya S.
on 11/23/11 8:11 am - Edwardsville, IL
I am in IL too!
The data is not up to date as the sleeve is pretty new.
I had to choose between the RNY and VSG and ultimately chose the VSG(sleeve).
The stats are pretty similar in the long run.
Congratulations on being approved!
Be prepared to 'work' for your weight loss.

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

Cards44
on 11/24/11 10:55 pm - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Howdy

Yeah I am just up the road in Godfrey IL.  

I am still early in the process.  I went through the seminar last week for St Alexis New Start.  I originally went through the process for Depaul two years ago but was denied.  The Vertical Sleeve at that time was not available at that time but sounds like it is a real option this time.

Thanks for the info and I plan on working as much of this weight off.

Thanks again

skylark2011
on 11/25/11 11:06 pm
 Hey guys, I am only 6 months out, but just wanted to clarify - gastrectomies are not new, they have been performed for over 100 years and are far older than RnY, but studies as to their effectiveness with weight loss have only been studied in the last 30 years or so.   One of the reasons that it started being used for weight loss is because doctors noticed a trend of successful weight loss and maintenance in gastrectomy patients (who'd undergone surgery due to ulcers, stomach cancer, etc).

I have many friends who have had the RnY with success, and I was looking into this surgery at first too.  USAF Wife has a really good post on why she chose VSG over RnY, you should look her up.  I wanted a normally functioning body with weight loss comparable to the RnY, but without lifelong malabsorbption of nutrients....  If you post on either the VSG or RnY board, you'll find we all have an opinion on which is better, but I hope you find which one is best for YOU.  **HUGS**

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

HealthyNewMe
on 11/27/11 2:46 am
If your BMI is over 50, please, please, please consider the DS! It is your BEST chance for losing as much weight as you need to, & keeping it off! Check out www.dsfacts.com.

HW-SW-GW-CW                                          
380-365-170-160                       

HealthyNewMe

MY DS!

provolisa
on 11/29/11 2:19 pm - Provo, UT
I want to urge you to look into the DS as well. I have done a ton of research, and there isn't any other surgery I would want to have done. Patient satisfaction is a lot higher with the DS as well, as you might guess from the way DSers come across like salespeople. We just care about other people who might benefit. A lot of the people on the DS board are looking to have their lap bands or RNYs revised into DS's.

It is so difficult to get those surgeries revised to a DS! At least the VSG is the top part of the DS surgery, so you could have the rest done by a qualified DS surgeon later, if you feel you need more help than the VSG will provide. Your surgeon may not have suggested the DS because there are only a few really qualified surgeons in the country who perform them. Check out DSfacts.com for information.

I suggest you start by checking out the DS board and see some of the before and after pictures, posted just today. 

They are pretty amazing!
Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Most Active