Time to get this Started

Cards44
on 12/11/11 11:24 am - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Hi guys

I have heard from the insurance and the surgeons office and its time to get this voyage going.

This Wednesday I have 3 appointments with 3 different doctors.  The final appointment being with the Surgeon and his staff to get my 6 month diet going... The Rep that I have been working with the surgeons office thinks by getting started now we maybe looking at surgery towards the end of May.

Right now I am leaning toward the Verticle Sleeve but I am open until I talk with the surgeon to see what he recommends. 

Talk to you all later.

Bob

acbbrown
on 12/12/11 12:14 am - Granada Hills, CA
Welcome! Feel free to post here often for support as you go through your pre-op diet. I recommend that you take full advantage of the 6 months to get as much weight off as possible - it really makes a difference for recovery after surgery. Start an exercise program and work on your relationship with food. If you can start to do those things, post op life is much easier.

Have you researched all 4 of the surgery types? I had the VSG and I think it was a great surgery for me, but I may have considered the DS if I thought I needed it. If your surgeon does not perform the DS or he tries to discourage you from doing it, Id recommend a consult with a doctor who does do it, just so you have as much info as possible.

Good luck!

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

provolisa
on 12/12/11 8:02 pm - Provo, UT
I agree. There is a lot of what we call "bait and don't switch" out there, where surgeons who say they do the DS, consult with you and talk you into a RNY, which turns out to be about all they do anyway.

If you are interested in the DS, go to DSfacts.com and research it. There is a reliable list of vetted surgeons on that site - it is better than the list on this site.

I commend you on looking into the VSG instead of getting a pouch. Now, why not look into the other half of a DS, and its many benefits?

Lisa
               Recovering from the Duodenal Switch~
                HW - 495 / CW - 382 / GW - 175    Joanne B. is my Angel 

Cards44
on 12/14/11 11:30 pm - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Well I have officially started my 6 month diet. 

I have lost 5 lbs in the last month and need to lose another 15 to 20 lbs before surgery.  I have some how shrunk over the last 20 or so years as I used to be 74 inches tall and now I am 70.5 inches talk making my BMI a little higher.  

bdocker
on 12/16/11 1:55 am
Brenda C.
on 12/19/11 1:05 pm
Hey Bob,

I shrank, too -- to which I was told, "You'll get it back after losing weight, you'll have better posture..."  HUH?!  My Chiro LOVES my posture, I just figure I settled in, as I have aged, argh!

As for surgery types -- DO RESEARCH!  You have to be comfortable with how you will live, no one else can tell you what to expect, as it isn't that easy.  I went RNY, but think VSG is FABULOUS!!!  I needed malabsorptive, hate to admit, my surgeon was too conservative, so I may have needed a Medial or Distal instead of a Proximal (how much of the small intestine that is bypassed).  The only surgery that I have mixed feelings on is the Band.  Only because in MY case, I have an autoimmune disease, so foreign objects aren't a good idea.

I saw 17 friends get surgery before me, over more than a DECADE, so I saw real life results.  I spent a LOT of time deciding, maybe too long, but I waited until I was ready emotionally.

The six months you are spending are going to make you have an easier or harder time after surgery - depending on how you use them.  If you start now, working toward 1200 calories a day, you will find it easier after surgery when it is closer to 500 calories the first few weeks.  Get used to NOT drinking during meals -- still hard for me to do, and I had surgery a year ago.  TAKE SUPPLEMENTS NOW!!!  Get into the habit, and this way, you are storing nutrients for after surgery.  This is a good time to also start exercising.

Your surgeon will go over your options, but don't be afraid to ask more questions!  Here's to wishing you a smooth six months!!!

Brenda : )~
Cards44
on 12/23/11 2:19 am - IL
VSG on 07/24/12
Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice.

This has been a hard week.

I have not had a soda in about a week and a half.  So those headaches are killing me.    Already starting to feel a little bit better after the first week, 

Not drinking during the meal is going to be the toughest for me.  I have already attempted this and accomplished once.  Any good advice on this? 

Go back to the nutritionist/Surgeon on 1/10/12. 
Most Active