X post: Need a malabsorptive surgery??

Trish-hoping
on 1/10/12 3:40 am - Benton, Canada
Hi guys I figured i would ask some of you the same question as on the RNY forum. I had the sleeve 15months ago and did well. I lost 120lbs in like 9months. I have been the same for 6 months now.  So my question is would a malabsorptive procedure be the answer for my remaining weight loss, I am specifically covered financial wise for the RNY and so the Ds is not an option unfortunately. I have 65lbs left to lose and was hoping someone had done well revising to a RNY. Thanks for the info in advance... Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
Brenda C.
on 1/11/12 11:41 am
Hey Trish,

First - we are LAY PEOPLE, so just realize we all have opinions, but the best answer will come from your doctor(s)/surgeon.

I knew for me I needed malabsorption, as I have a very efficient body - and sadly, still is to an extent.  Roux-en-Y did NOT cure my problems, and isn't going to make me normal sized without work, it is still a tool, like the Sleeve.

We all hit plateaus, so you have to re-examine what you are doing, and then try something different.  Having 65 pounds to lose is possible without further surgery, you just really have to be disciplined.  My daughter lost over 100 pounds with changing her eating (having a meal replacement shake EVERY morning) and adding walking at least 3 miles a day -- she has kept it off FIVE years, without surgery.  In my past, I lost 135 pounds in seven months with meal replacements, and kept it off five years, but injury side lined my activity.

I have close to another 150 pounds to go, I weigh 309 as of this morning, and I am almost 14 months out (lost 165).  I am sure I could not have lost as much with only a restrictive surgery, and three endocrinologists agree a restrictive surgery wouldn't be enough in my case, so you need to ask, do YOU need malabsorption?

Before I got my surgery, I had 17 friends (personal friends, not acquaintances) go before me, so I saw who succeeded, who failed, and why.  Are you using your "tool" correctly?  If you have done the food journals, been active, and still cannot lose the last 65, then maybe you do need RNY.  Ask your doctors -- really.

I hope you find what you need to succeed!!!  Stay positive, and know we do care about you!!!!
Brenda : )~
acbbrown
on 1/11/12 11:47 am - Granada Hills, CA
I think you are in a little bit of a different spot than people who are going for their first surgery.

A revision is going to carry significant risks. You have to weigh those increased risks with the benefits.

You need to ask yourself if you have done everything in your power to lose those last 65 lbs? Only you know the answer.

My personal opinion (and its just an opinion, a lay one as Brenda said) is that you dont need a revision unless your tool is broken. If you are eating a reduced calories, high protein, healthy diet and exercising, and CANNOT lose weight, then maybe you need a malabsorptive surgery. But you have to consider that even if you get the RNY, it may help you get to goal, but you will eventually lose the malabsorptive component and you will be forced to maintain your weight through diet and exercise. You will basically be in the same spot you are in now except without a pyloric valve and some other restrictions.

If you decide that you absolutely need a malabsorptive component and decide to revise, if it were me, id do everything in my power to find a way to have DS because that is going to help you reach and maintain your goal weight. But that's just me.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Trish-hoping
on 1/12/12 5:13 am - Benton, Canada
Thank you both so much for your replies and honesty. I did lots of research on all surgeries for 3 years before my VSG. I guess to be honest I am very torn about losing my smaller stomache to a pouch and was looking for reasurance. I guess ultimately it is up to me but man sometimes these big decisions are tough. I would love to have the DS it was my original choice and of course I already have the sleeve portion but I am pretty desperate to get to goal. If I had lots of self discipline I never would have needed weight loss surgery in the first place sighhhh..some of the folks on these forums are my heroes because they seem to do well all the time. Anyway thanks again for the opinions and I am still torn about what to do, regain and the idea of regain terrifies me...thanks Trish
HW-362 SW-330  (21lbs lost on pre-op diet)  Over HALF way there!!  
acbbrown
on 1/12/12 10:32 am - Granada Hills, CA
Regardless of any sugery type, or how many surgeries you have, self discipline is absolutely #1 key to getting/maintaining a healthy weight. Even people with the DS can't go out on a carb binge and expect to stay at goal.

Dont let desperation to get to goal cloud your judgement and rational thinking. Getting to goal is not the ultimate destination in our journies - its honestly just a small stopping point - we are on this journey for life to maintain our weights and live healthy active lives.

Dig deep inside, do a lot of reflecting on what your weak areas are and what you can/need to do to change those things. Consider therapy if you think it might help. See about organized nutritional counseling if you think that might be your problem.

And as for the people who seem to do so well all the time - the grass is always greener on the other side. NO ONE (and I mean NO ONE) on this site is perfect all the time. Those kinds of people don't get obese and need WLS to live. Even the perfect preachy vets who like to appear to be perfect are not. But, the difference ultimatley becomes a matter of a life style people chose to live.  One screw up does not equal a week long binge - for people who get that ,and have their slip ups and get right back up to doing the right things - they are going to be successful.

You are in a tough spot, but you CAN do this.

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Most Active