How did you feel half way...??? Love to hear from you VETS

LaToya S.
on 3/18/12 5:37 am - Edwardsville, IL
My surgeon told me that I had over 200+ pounds to loose. My own personal goal is to loose 200 pounds exactly. If I loose more then ok...

I am down 96 pounds and almost 1/2 way through my journey to loose 200.

I was wondering how you felt when you were at your 1/2 way point.

Were you tired? Did you feel like you had lost enough and wanted to stop? Did you feel energized that you just had 1/2 way to go?

I think I am feeling a mixture of these emotios and would like to see how others have felt at this point.

Were you still missing what once your favorite foods? Had you ever strayed off your meal plan?

I am very glad to have had the surgery and know I would have never lost this much weight, this soon without it.
But here is the weird thing....if I could have surgery on my arms and stomach to have the excess skin removed I think I would be very content with my current size. I know I could stand to loose more, a lot more, but I feel pretty good and am 'use' to being big. So I also wonder how much of this is me being afraid of being smaller.

On a side note: I also think part of it is that I am mad that I can't even enjoy the smallest bite of my favorite foods: I crave some rice and a piece of fried chicken. But it hurts so bad to eat those things. I even tried oven fried chicken and that sent me into an episode because it did not agree with my sleeve. I want to enjoy some spaghetti and a breadstick from Fazolli's or a piece of garlic bread. Not every day, but if I could enjoy one of these items once a week or once every two week without it physically hurting me I think I would be one very happy girl.

So please share with me how you felt at your 1/2 way point? I need to get motivated again (somewhat)! I am still motivated, excercising and eating pretty well but I need an extra 'umph' from you on here

LaToya
www.youtube.com/user/lmscrogg

Twitter: @ScrogginsFamily  

acbbrown
on 3/18/12 8:57 am - Granada Hills, CA
I dont recall paying much attention to my half way point, so I can't speak from that directly. But, from along the way....

Weight loss can be tiring - to spend every day counting calories, weighing, measuring and tracking, and obsessing about food, and constantly in an hourly struggle not to give into temptations.

For me personally, I findi it a lot less tiring than being 420 lbs, and still having those same issues - they just looked differently back then. I always had a mental battle going on about what I was doing to myself - but back then, I didn't care enough to change it.

Now, I thrive best on routine, and being in control. I feel my best when I am tracking, and measuring and making conscious healthy decisions. It's kind of weird for me to think like that, but just in general, I do better in life when I am organized and planned.

I do get tired and struggle the most with always having to remind myself that I can't eat like every one else, that I can't grab a cookie every time I walk by, that I can only eat a 1/2 cup, etc. That's been the most tiring part for me, but I find that as long as I am on track with everything else, and I'm not spending my mental energy somewhere else (like trying to decide breakfast bc i didnt pack or lunch, or whatever), then I can handle it. It' not pleasant, but I can.

ive never felt like I'm done, but I also have no perception of my ultimate goal weight or size. I rarely ever even think about my ultimate goal or the actual amount that I set out to lose. Its to depressing and too arbitrary at this point. Im on a quest for health at this point, and as soon as I can run a marathon or something equally as crazy, I'll call myself done. There are days where I look and tell myself Im content with my size, but it usually only lasts a few minutes.

My main motivation right now (since im injured and cant exercise or even think about exercise) is plastics. I have to get my BMI under 30 by June for Kaiser to cover by tummy, so I have to focus on that for now because there are days where I would like to give up. You gotta find something that's going to drive you. Id really encourage you to find that "umpphh" somewhere because as soon as you decide you are content with where you are at, you will lose a lot of will power and strength to keep making the good decisions that youve been making.

You can do this - you are doing great and you should be very proud

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/18/12 11:20 am
Wow. You have a lot on your mind. There is alot in your post. I'll do my best.

Like AC, I didn't think much about my halfway point partly because I don't know where it is- since my goal is fluid. I guess since my ticker says 195 as goal, my halfway point was around me weighing 280 pounds. For me, that was too darn close to 300 for me to be content. I remember feeling the need to be closer to 200 than 300- as in, below 250.

This lifestyle isn't too tedious for me. I think it would be if I tracked everything- we already had that discussion. For me that would just be annoying, but I know that it is critical for many.  I strongly recommend that people track.  I choose to stick to my staples of certain meals that I know works for me.

It helped me to not think of certain foods as forbidden forever.  I didn't think of myself as deprived. I knew that those foods would be in my life again, but in a healthier and less frequent role. I view this surgery as a blessing. But just because something is a blessing doesn't mean it isn't work. Some say it is a struggle. I refuse to see it as a struggle.  A home is a blessing. A homeowner has to work on their blessing (i.e. cleaning, repair, maintenance, etc). A homeless person struggles.

After about 6 months, I probably ate almost anything I craved with major modifications. However, they are rare. I had most of a fried chicken leg more than 6 months out. I've probably have had fried chicken 3 times- a very small amount each time.  The taste is good but not worth weight gain or even weight stall. It is just too soon for you to experiment with most of your cravings.

Also, I have 2 other things that keep me on track. I was in therapy during the entire first 6 months. Now that was just plain brilliant on my part.  Second, I paid for this thing via my savings and a credit card. It was like me buying a car, except I never paid this much for a car! I'm not going to drive it off the cliff.

I don't feel tired of this at all. Most days I just plug at it as a normal part of my life. In fact, most of the time I feel like a regular person.  Do I wish that I could have finished my lunch today at the restaurant? Yes, but there are worse things in life than having to ask for a to-go box. And I still will throw some of it away.

Use this time to fall in love with some healthy recipes. So that when you can have those less than helalthy options, you would not even want them 1-2X per week. I go weeks without wanting fried chicken. And for a southern girl whose grandmother made it for breakfast, that's saying something. If I crave pizza (which isn't often), I usually have a meatball with marinara sauce and mozz cheese on top all loaded down with basil.  Ground beef or turkey is one of the easiest meats for me.

On an interesting note: this whole process has made me want vegetables. Pre-op, I could have been content with meat, bread, potatoes, pasta for life.

Hang in there. I really think that you will see it all differently in another 2-3 months. Just view this as part of the process and part of your growth.

And don't settle. As we get older, weight just wants to come on anyway.  So, I would like to leave a cushion for just some good old fashioned aging.
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
skylark2011
on 3/18/12 11:10 pm
Congratulations on reaching your 1/2 way point!!!  That must feel sooooo good.  I am not a vet, but wanted to share.  My 1/2 way point was one of my goals, so when I reached it  I was excited, amazed, and fearful/unsure because then (even sometimes now) I had a hard time believing that my sleeve worked so well.  Granted, I was doing the work - low carb eating, consistent exercise, fluids - but it was still hard for me to wrap my head around it all. It was an added bonus for my efforts to be rewarded with faster weight loss and few, if any, true stalls.  I enjoyed being able to wear smaller clothes, and struggled with the turnaround in peoples behavior towards me.  

I struggled with fatigue, but wasn't tired of the low carb lifestyle.  I allowed and still allow myself certain foods every month.  My goals were and are to eat healthy and well most of the time.  I usually plan for deviations around the holidays and my cycle.  I haven't been perfect, I am still a recovering food addict, but I know how I want to eat to live, and am finding a balance through this process. This generally works for me.  If your body cant handle certain foods, there isn't a whole lot you can do.  I think we all go through our food mournings, but you will do well and find other things that you may enjoy just as much.  You probably will be able to enjoy them again one day, our tolerances seem to change the farther out we get.  Or, you may find that you don't enjoy them nearly as much as you once did.   I haven't had rice and am not a bread or pasta eater, but I do enjoy fried chicken, authentic french fries, and Frito's.  Through trial & error I've found that these are my true favorites, and it doesn't take much, which is still a relief and a blessing.  I value my trials & errors, because I dont want to be afraid of or avoid any food, period.  Its different if I just dont care for it or for the after affects of eating it.  

I really identify with the fear/insecurity that comes with being smaller. Being a big girl had been part of my identity, and if I didnt have that to connect with...what would I have?  How would other people react to actually connecting to and identifying with the me that I'd always seen? How shallow or superficial would it be for people to start appreciating who I am just because I was smaller?  I dont know if you struggled with that, but I did - anger at others for judging me & a bunch of other external focuses, etc., etc.  Its a lie and fear that I got caught up in for a long time.  The only way it could be debunked is for me, for us, to go through it.    How would I feel to finally be successful at this?  Ultimately it comes back to me.  Screw these other people and what they may think.  What do   I     think?  I mean, who is this about, and who is this for anyway?  That has slowly and surely become more of my focus.  Now I am smaller and grateful to find I am still the same person.  More content, sure, more comfortable, most definitely, but still the same quirky & funny me that still enjoys doing the same things that I did before but without so much burden of excess fat.   I am already lower than my surgeons goal and 5'10".  I looooove the shape that has come through, and am very much content here, but my body is not done losing.  I am struggling with that fact as I continue to lose. I have no desire to be as small as possible.   I am watching my body and my face to gauge whats good for me. I have come to embrace that this journey is about where  I  want to be. I am letting my body take the wheel for now, but will put the brakes on when enough is enough.  Let your body do what it naturally now (thank god) wants to do.  I know you will find your enough.

HW: 351 SW: 344.5   5'10"  

InkdSpEdTchr
on 3/19/12 1:42 am, edited 3/19/12 1:43 am
I actually remember feeling the same way. At 3months out I was 100 down from my highest, and I felt amazing! Here's a photo of April 09 and then Nov 09: View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

I felt like I could totally live a happy life at that weight, and saw all the little tiny skinny ladies and did not want to look like that. However, once I started losing again, my mind changed- and now I want to be as fit as possible. 

Sure I'd like to see my goal weight someday, but I'm not actively worried about it, because I am so thrilled at my quality of life -200lbs. I can do so much more, and am so comfortable in my own skin these days.

So, hang in there- you'll want to drop to goal, and if you keep doing all the right things- you will! Oh and here's me now: View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

Good Luck,

:Danni  >>>AIDS/LifeCycle 10 & 11 Finisher: 545miles on the bike in 7 days <<<
HW390/SW340/CW 208/GW170

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/19/12 6:58 am
Great response! ...and with visual aides!
Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
WoolyBully
on 3/19/12 12:28 pm - MI

My half way mark was roughly last Aug.

I definitely had more energy then I did before WLS and thought it can't get any better than this.

IT CAN! Just about 70 more pounds lost since then, and I feel twice a good as I did then. I can't wait to see what I feel like at  or near goal.

A couple of times I wanted to stop and say "good enough", but I am to damn competitive.The funny part is, I am competing with myself. If I don't reach my goal, I will feel like I lost a competition to the old, fat me. I know this makes me look totally crazy, but I refuse to loose to that fat guy.

I still have cravings for bad food. Typing this, somewhat sleep deprived, I want some right now. but I'll be damned if I am going to let that fat ******* beat me.

Hang in there LaToya, It truly does get better.

Gary

Most Active