how in the world

amarie3579
on 3/22/12 3:00 am
RNY on 09/20/12
This is going to sound totally stupid, so please don't mind me. But I have officially started my 3 month trying to lose 5% body weight, the nutrionist has told me to chew my food 20 times and the meal to last 30 minutes. How in the world, am I suppose to have a meal last 30 minutes?! I'm so used to eatting fast and going. Plus the whole chewwing food 20 times, OMG! How did any of you other fast eatters, slow yourself down?

Starting Weight: 345 lbs. Weight day of Surgery: 332lbs. Goal Weight: 160lbs.

ladyquenn
on 3/22/12 3:51 am - WV
 The short answer...practice. That is all it was but the two worst things I did pre-op were stopping drinking with meals and eat slowly. Believe me when I say if you don't learn it before surgery, you will learn it after. The pain from swallowing something too big and the floatie I want to throw up feeling I get from not chewing enough or drinking with meal will punch you right in the gut. I am very glad that in 16 months I have only had that problem 3 times and all of them when I tried to eat in a hurry for stupid reasons. The drinking habit I had broke before surgery, and I had my family trained too, they would set the table and leave off my cup or if we are at restaurants and they bring me a glass of water even though I said I didn't want any, they speak up and tell them to take it back I said no to a drink. Those two months before surgery when I was working on that seemed like I would never get it but I did and so will you. The results of not are gross and you don't want that anyway.
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
amarie3579
on 3/22/12 7:51 am
RNY on 09/20/12
Thanks so much Lady, I can say I got through lunch almost at 30 minutes, longest meal I ever had. I guess practice will make perfect.

Tammy G.
on 3/22/12 10:21 am
RNY on 06/16/11 with
A few tips to make the meal last 30 minutes--

Don't drink anything with your meal at all.

Use those toddler spoons to eat with. You can only get a tiny bite at a time.

Use your non-dominate hand to eat with.

Put your utensil down after each bite.

When eating, focus on eating, not on the tv or anything else that is distracting. Savor each bite. Focus on taste, texture, temperature, etc.

Good luck!

Distal RNY 6/11 SW 456  CW 311 Complications: Small bowel strangulation 12/23/2012, non healing surgical incision--ongoing.  Still.

Lucky2talk2
on 3/23/12 2:10 am - Renton, WA
Great advice has been given. Allow yourself to taste and savor. Be proud of how long it can take you to really enjoy your foods tastes. Think about the fact that there will be food next time and next time and that it really is not a race... There will always be more the next time. I think about when I would eat like there was not going to be food ever again... Indulging like it was going to run off my plate before I would get it down. There is no race. Savor the moments and slow down life while you fuel your body.

It will give you satisfaction and notice tastes. You will find the nich. Stay focussed as much as you can now, as it will help after your surgery for sure!!

I used a lot of the things that Tammy shared!!

Hugs,
Sherrie

MAKE IT A GREAT DAY!!         SHERRIE <3

theshrinkingmimi
on 3/23/12 4:47 pm

At first, I put down the fork after each bite and stared at the clock. Then I started doing things like take a bite, read an email, then take another bite.  Folding laundry during dinner helped.  I don't recommend television or phone calls, they are so distracting that you end up eating too fast or too much.

Pre-liquid diet 392; VSG'd on 6/10/11; 5'9"; SW 368/ GW 195?

Pounds lost: mth1=26.7; mth 2=21.2; mth 3=24.8; mth 4=13.8; mth 5=14.2;  
            mth 6=11.8; mth 7=9.2; mth 8&9= 17.2    
ladyquenn
on 3/23/12 10:18 pm - WV
I completely forgot about the baby spoons, I did that, in fact my family got me some cute purple one for christmas. My fav color, and the putting the spoon thing helped. Its become so automatic now I forgot those things. Thanks for the reminder!
Teddi J
We have just enough religion to make us hate,
but not enough to make us love one another. ~Jonathan Swift                    
amarie3579
on 3/25/12 10:50 am
RNY on 09/20/12
Thanks ladies I will have to go out and get some baby spoons and give it a try.

Most Active