"Too Skinny" - Why does it hurt?

pinkjellybean
on 2/9/13 12:17 am - Canada
VSG on 01/25/12

I am really having a hard time wrapping my head around the statements that are starting to be thrown my way.  Almost all of my close loved ones are starting to use the words "gosh you're so skinny" or "now you're getting too skinny".  I admit these comments started almost 20 pounds ago but with each pound that comes off now the comments and concerns are compounding. 

The kicker is that I am between 165-167 (depending on the day) and my goal weight as planned with my weight loss center is 150 pounds.  I am 5'8 tall. 

God forbid I should follow up their "too skinny" comments with "I still have 15 pounds to lose".

It's starting to really upset me that people continuously mention it because they start to follow it up with "I am worried about you". 

What do you say?  What would you say?

SURGERY at Toronto Western Hospital - VSG JANUARY 25th, 2012!!

5'9 - HW - 390 SW - 368.8  GW - 150

mickeymantle
on 2/9/13 1:38 am - Eugene/Springfield, OR
VSG on 07/22/13

bet most of these people are over weight or worse

if you feel good and your doctor is fine with it keep going , these people are probably just jealous

wait till this summer when they see you in a bathing suit there jaws will drop lol

175 lb  lost,412 hw 336sw,241 cw surgery July 22 2013,surgeon Dr Colin MacColl,

(deactivated member)
on 2/9/13 12:32 pm

You just cannot please ANYONE no  I would just say something along the lines of "Aw you're so sweet to be concerned for me, the doctor actually gave me a weight about 15 pounds lighter than this to be where I should be. I think it's just because you've seen me so big for so long! Thank you for caring though, it means alot"

seriously though, im rolling my eyes for you. People are annoying.

Karine
on 2/9/13 9:23 pm, edited 2/10/13 5:23 am - Canada
VSG on 06/25/12
I am 5'8" also amd my goal weight is 145-150. It use to be 160. But that disn't make ME happy! I have to say that this goal was set up by me listening to my entourage suggestions. When I was mentionning the 145 instead they would go crazy on me with their "oh that's too skinny, you'll look sick, you wont be looking good" etc....

That made me cry. My husband then said something to me that made me change my goal: karine, who do you do this for? For yourself or for them?

So now I do NOT discuss my goal. I am still far from it so the "too skinny" comments have not yet started. But I often get the "oh you have only 60 pounds to lose " comment. I nod, smile and think to myself "sure, if that's what you want to hear, but it's more like 80"

You are what YOU want to be! And as long as you are not crossing the ljne to anorexia then live it the way YOU intend of living it

I wouldn't say they are jealous, that is a too easy answer. They are concerned and used to see you really fat so to their eyes, you are skinny. But their sight will readjust. Just hang in there

Gastroscopy: May 26th 2012                   SW + HW 360
Labs: May 30th 2012                                Post opti   341.2
SD:  June 25th 2012                                Post op     338.6       

Laura in Texas
on 2/10/13 2:07 am

I would just say that my doctor is keeping close tabs on me and he says I am doing well and leave it at that. People are just not used to seeing you at this weight yet.

I'm 5'7" and maintain about 135-140. The comments do eventually stop. Now people are used to seeing me at this weight. But heaven forbid you ever gain or you will start up a whole new set of comments indecision

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Sassyflamingo
on 2/10/13 3:25 am
RNY on 06/14/12

People have started that with me... I still weigh over 200 pounds for goodness sakes! 

I think it is hard for people to get used to, especially when you have been obese since childhood (like me, anyway). 

I just smile and say, "I hope so!"

Phatchick
on 2/10/13 9:42 pm, edited 2/10/13 9:43 pm - Brookfield, IL
VSG on 04/16/12

Your weight loss goal is such a personal decision. Not even your surgeon can tell you what that number should be. 

I think when people we know see us so much smaller than when we were super obese, they are saying we are skinny based on what we used to look like compared to now.

I am still 240 lbs and people tell me that all the time. i have to tell ya, I bask in the comments. I don't find it negative at all. When those same people encourage me to stop losing, then i just say, "I'm not where I want to be yet". I do not get into a conversation about it. I get the comments from skinny and fat friends, 

If my friends stopped commenting on my small size and started saying, something like...oh you are not losing anymore, or are you off your diet? Then I would worry. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHA

Have a good one,

Sharon

jcush
on 2/13/13 2:05 am - CA

I think that people are always going to have something to say about the weight loss. I think that people should of been more worried about excess weight and how that can effect you. It's not like you are wasting away below 100 pounds, at that point they should become worried. I think that people just want to say something so they acknowledge your weight loss but I don't think they should add that they are worried. I still have 73 pounds to get to my goal weight and I hear from family about how I am so skinny. I am no where near skinny but it's just a term that gets thrown around to make you feel good. I guess it's better than hearing your fat but it does gets irritating after awhile. I think it depends on who says it but I would just say thanks but there is nothing to worry about. Really there are many other things that people should be worried about.

J Cush
Sphinxy
on 2/21/13 3:34 am - Redlands, CA

The only "ideal" weight for you is what you think! Forget the charts, forget what the doctor says. When you look at yourself in the mirror, feel yourself as you maneuver in your world, - what do think, and how do you feel?

In terms of dealing with other people --- perhaps something along the lines of "Isn't it wonderful how much healthier I am and that I am able to explore which weight is ideal for me? I appreciate that you care about me enough to comment on my health. I want you to know that my physicians and I are keeping a close eye on my health, and your concern for me is heartwarming"

B

Most Active