Just poking around a bit....

SpyCbyN8re
on 3/23/11 3:28 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
I haven't had WLS yet.  I'm on the track to getting the sleeve though more then likely sometime in May.  My surgeon does the band and the sleeve and I've chosen the sleeve.... so far.

My question is..... do people revise from the sleeve to the DS often?  Is it true that the sleeve is kinda part one to the DS? or do they usually do it all at once?  If they wait, how long do they wait between the sleeve and the DS part two?

I'd like to know what the benefits are of the DS over the sleeve.  

My BMI is currently 52.  I'd love to hear some information back from y'all that have had the VSG and then switched to the DS if possible.

Thanks all!!
Ginger

bookfaerie
on 3/23/11 3:39 am
 The sleeve is a restriction only procedure. Yes it is a portion of the full DS surgery.

The benefit of the DS is that it has a metabolic effect (the hormones in the rearranged guts actually raise your metabolism), it has a malabsorptive effect (you will malabsorb approximately 80% of the fat you eat as well as 50% of proteins and complex carbs.

The sleeve started out as part 1 of the DS for people who were so obese that the full surgery would be unsafe for them. Then Dr's started doing it as a stand alone procedure. 

The drawbacks of having the sleeve and then "planning" a DS if it doesn't work is that A: With a restriction only procedure you can destroy your metabolism to such an extent that it doesn't recover well and the DS doesn't give you success later and B: the "sleeve" procedure gives you a much smaller sleeve than the sleeve given with a DS (about half the size) there is a possibility you wouldn't be able to eat enough to meet your new nutritional needs. (This isn't true for people expecting to get the DS. The Dr. gives them a "ds sized" sleeve to begin with.)  HTH
 "Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
SpyCbyN8re
on 3/23/11 3:41 am - Lehigh Acres, FL
Wow, very helpful.  I had no idea.  Thank you so much for your time and response!

I'm still unsure as to which road I'll take but I appreciate you taking the time to explain a bit more then I was able to understand from reading the posted info. 

Ginger
Kerry J.
on 3/23/11 3:42 am - Santa Clara, UT
I dunno Ginger, my BMI was 40.4 and I went for the full DS after having lived with RNY for 28 years. With a BMI of 52, I would not advise you to get just the sleeve; your chances of losing all or even most of your excess weight with just the sleeve are going to be pretty slim.

I love my DS, I can eat like a naturally thin person, full size meals and all I have to be careful about is to be low carb and not lots of sugar. This is so because of the malabsorption of the DS, it allows me to eat full meals and never worry about regain. If you just get the sleeve, you're going to have to be on a low calorie diet for the rest of your life to maintain what ever loss you get from the first year after you get the sleeve.

I wouldn't do it Ginger, I wouldn't get RNYed again if it was free and I sure as hell wouldn't get a lap band. The VSG is better than RNY, but I really doubt it's going to get you to a normal BMI.

Kerry
kathie09
on 3/23/11 4:41 am - not available
Hey Ginger!

Welcome to the boards. I lurk more than I post here - as I am still pre op as well. I wholeheartedly agree with Kerry. I opted out of the RNY because if starving myself worked, I would have been thin in high school when I was borderline anorexic (I was a dancer - and fought to keep myself in a size 8-10) I knew I needed the malabsorption in order to lose and then MAINTAIN (not shouting, just trying to emphasize how important this is) my weight loss.

I have several friends who have had either the sleeve, the RNY or the band. All of them initially lost most of their weight. Only one of them lost all of the weight she needed to. Now, several years later, they have all regained at least 50% of the weight they lost. I was drawn to the DS for its long term benefits. If you're able to poke around the internet a bit, take a look at the statistics of weight loss and maintenance that the DS offers. It is by far the gold standard for bariatric surgery. That is just my two cents.

Good luck! I am going to have the DS this summer. I don't know how it will happen, but I am sending it out to the universe.
kathie09
Julie R.
on 3/23/11 4:55 am - Ludington, MI
 Hi there and welcome to the boards.   I'm almost five years post-op and the DS has been the best darn thing I've ever done for myself.   

WIth a BMI of 52, I really think you might want to consider the DS.  The sleeve might be great for people hovering just around the 40 or under BMI range, but you really need the malabsorption in order to maintain.  I know too  many VSG'ers who have regained to the point that they are obese, but not obese enough to qualify for the switch part of the DS.   That kind of puts a person in DS purgatory, IMO, too fat too really feel good about yourself, but not high enough BMI to qualify for the second part of the surgery.    The stomach part and the intestinal switch work TOGETHER....it's not like getting glasses then going out to get contacts once you get used to the glasses.   That's a crappy analogy, but I'm thinking off the top of my head here, LOL.

Also, a lot of insurance companies are now only covering one WLS per lifetime.   So, if your VSG doesn't work for you, you're **** out of luck on getting the revision.     Of course, if you want to have the DS, the exchange for the wonderful dietary freedom that you will encounter (and sense of normalcy - with a VSG, you will spend the rest of your life on a diet) is that you need to be super vigilant about taking your vitamins, getting in your protein, and staying up on your labs.    Being your own advocate and staying educated about your labs and other post-op needs is not an option - it's a necessity!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 3/23/11 5:21 am - AL
Ginger,

PLEASE research the DS before you go farther.  With a BMI of 52 you need way more than restricition.  The DS was "made for you."

www.dsfacts.com

And do NOT have the sleeve thinking that if it doesn't work you can add the switch later.  It really doesn't work well to do it that way.  There is magic in the synergism of the sleeve and the switch done together. 

~Becky

Linda .
on 3/23/11 6:36 am - Gilroy, CA
Hi Ginger,

Welcome.  I agree with the others.  DS is your best option, long-term.

May I ask why you are opting for the sleeve when you are obviously interested in the DS?

If it's because your doctor doesn't do DS, I would recommend that you check www.dsfacts.com for the nearest surgeon who does the DS and get a second opinion.

If it's because of insurance coverage, others here can advise you on that.

Good luck,
Linda

Janine P.
on 3/23/11 7:53 am - Long Island, NY
Hi Ginger,
Super quick: I had a band, lost 100 pounds, gained some back.  Three years later, I got VSG, lost 45, and one year later I'm having a DS in May. 

I'm a big girl (started out at 398 when I had the band, 316 with VSG, 270 now.) 

Go for the DS. 

Janine   Me on Youtube 

(deactivated member)
on 3/23/11 9:59 am - WAKE FOREST, NC
Go for the DS!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 703 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1015 views
Need help for my mom