Changes in Relationships with people Post op

yex1
on 4/5/11 2:27 am - NJ
I havent been on here in awhile because I have been out enjoying the new life my DS has given me. But I decided to come back because when push comes to shove, who knows what you are going through better then people who have gon through it themselves?

so a short update before i start:
I had the DS on August 10, 2009 so almost 20 months ago. I am currently at a stall for the past 4-5 months. I only list 2 pounds in the last 2 months yet I feel like I lost inches. for example I bought a bra 2 months ago and the band size is already too big. anyway I have lost over 200 pounds since surgery. I do have incisional hernias that are giving me issues with pain and it looks like I am pregnant. I was in a 2x but because the hernia got bigger I am now back up to a 3x. I am getting that taken care of but that is another story.

Back to the main topic:
At the surgeons support group meeting last night someone brought up how relationships change when you lose weight. That it is almost like they were happier that we were fat. and looking back at past and current people in my life they are right. Friendships do get strained. Preop I had to try to keep up with my friends and now they have to keep up with me. They tell me I have too much energy and it is like I never stop.

I think whether my boyfriend thinks he does or not he would rather me now then after I have my other surgeries. I.E. hernia repair/tummy tuck and other plastics. I feel like he thinks when I lose more weight and get them done I would leave him or something. We have only been dating for 2 months but I don't have any plans on going anywhere.

Has anyone else noticed changes in the way people relate to you post-op? how did you deal with it?

Kelly

"Nobody trips over mountains.  It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. "

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."  ~Jacob A. Riis

KellyJTn
on 4/5/11 2:58 am - Oak Ridge, TN
I am lucky in the fact that 2 of my best friends also had their surgeries the same time as me, so we've shrank together. Those friendships are still as strong as ever because we're slimming down together :)

There is 1 friendship though, that I do believe has been strained since the weight loss. It was someone who tried to talk me out of doing it. Someone who was the girl in the group who always got hit on etc, when I never did. And now that I'm almost caught up with her, I'm getting hit on alot & she's not the one with all the attention. I've noticed that I don't get invited out as many places anymore, and I hear alot more stories about men she's been going out with etc.  I just kind of laugh about it and ignore it.

~Kelly ~   
SW 364/CW 164/GW 150             

yex1
on 4/5/11 10:37 pm - NJ
It is good that you had people to share in the experience with you. I keep telling people who want surgery that I can tell you what it was like for me and you can prepare all you want for the surgery but you still won't know everything until you go through it yourself. the emotional changes alone are hard.

I noticed that with 2 of my friends I don't really hear from them that much anymore and we haven't seen each other in over 3 months. it is like they liked you better heavy because it made them feel better about themselves.

"Nobody trips over mountains.  It is the small pebble that causes you to stumble.  Pass all the pebbles in your path and you will find you have crossed the mountain. "

"Look at a stone cutter hammering away at his rock, perhaps a hundred times without as much as a crack showing in it.  Yet at the hundred-and-first blow it will split in two, and I know it was not the last blow that did it, but all that had gone before."  ~Jacob A. Riis

Blank Out
on 4/5/11 3:02 am
 Yep, it's a fact.  Your friendships will change. Some people won't talk to me anymore, and some will who would not before.  It is a real ******  I naively thought people would see me as the same person.  Some have not changed toward me at all, and I respect those peeps even more because of it!  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

yex1
on 4/5/11 10:43 pm - NJ
I guess I was naive too. I thought I would be the same person. but in reality we change ourself as well. Idon't know about you but I gained alot mor confidence in myself. I am willig to take more risks, and I don't let fear control if I go into places or not. I laugh more and joke around. and I don't care as much about what others think. If that means I have changed then I am glad I did. I wouldn't be where I am If I hadn't changed. and I do notice how people who wouldn't even acknowlege me before try to start up a full length conversation with me. If I wasn't worth your time before you aren't worth my time now.

Blank Out
on 4/5/11 11:09 pm
 Yep, you are so right!

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Amanda S.
on 4/5/11 3:34 am - New York, NY
I for one have definitely lost friends after the surgery. I was a handful prior to WLS so now I am even more so.  I have heard Amanda "thinks" she's cute but of course my response is something like "thinks???"  (As if these people are blind!!) (LOL) However that was my personalitiy before so I think people thought who in the heck is she to be that happy while she is overweight?  Truthfully I didn't really notice.  Now I think the outside has caught up with the inside and people are pissed!! But that is their issue. I try not to let people's stuff influence how I feel about myself. That is what they are feeling about themselves.  I have met the most beautiful people in the world, drop dead gorgeous, and can be on any magazine, any day of the week. These people have the attention from the opposite sex also however they just don't feel good about themselves!!  And I think to myself "wtf?" So I know beauty comes from within and feeling good starts from within.  It is a choice.  And for those people who no longer want to be my friend because my outside has caught up with my inside, oh well you weren't worth the effort!! I intend to live life each day to the fullest. Those who want to join me I welcome you!! But once again its a choice!! 

Lap DS 9/21/09
2-1/2

124LBS GONE!! LOOK AT ME!!

yex1
on 4/5/11 10:49 pm - NJ
I think some people rely on that heavy one in the group because it will make them feel better about themselves.

(deactivated member)
on 4/5/11 3:59 am
I'm still pre-op but this is something that scares me.  My domestic partner is also heavy and even though we've talk over and over about the feelings that ould arise I'm still scared of whats to come.  She has other disabilities that prevent her from having the surgery right now, plus I don't think she's mentally ready for it.  

I was at the group meeting too last night!  :)  I really enjoyed myself.  :)
yex1
on 4/5/11 10:53 pm - NJ
fear is a powerful thing in the whole process. It can make or break you along the journey. you can't let that fear influence your decision to find a healthier you. This is a time to say hey this is about me and me alone. it affects everyone around you but you have to think about your health first.

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 2 replies · 26 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 2 replies · 26 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1094 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1269 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 519 views