Thinking of a Revision...VSG to DS

AsuraDunnigan
on 5/17/11 7:51 am - Detroit, MI
Well, I have been very hesitant to write about my wls as it seems I am not living up to my expectations.  I have been really struggling, returned to pre op bad habits.  I don't feel like I have much restriction, in fact I can eat almost as much as before.  I know that a lot of it is me, but I have been unsucessful at my attempts to get to goal...I have even gained weight over the winter.  It seems as if it may not be meant to happen for me.  I was exercising regularly, then I developed dizziness and low blood pressure.  I was riding my exercise bike several times per week, but my tailbone now protrudes and it is very painful.   I was even interested in walking, but my left foot has been hurting for months.  I know that if I want things to change, I am going to have to change it.  I have been calling my surgeon's office for support for several months, but I have not spoken with anyone other than the receptionist.  I just feel like a failure.  My size 16 pants are now tight.  I was hoping to be in a 10 by now.  If anyone has had any similar issues with the vsg please reply.  I am thinking of a revision to the DS.  Tell me what you guys think.
Ticker represents first goal.          
Elizabeth N.
on 5/17/11 8:41 am - Burlington County, NJ
You are not a failure. Living on a very restrictive diet forever is not realistic. Chances are your metabolism is playing against you, as well. This is why we talk about the metabolic changes afforded by the DS and the synergy of the two aspects of a virgine DS as being superior in results.

Others who know more about revision options and how much a DS revision might help you will speak up soon, I'm sure. It's not going to be the same thing as if you'd gotten both the stomach and the intestines changed at the same time, but it should give you some help.

Bonnie R.
on 5/17/11 8:51 am - Stratford, CT
Don't be so hard on yourself.  This is an extremely difficult process and I don't believe any surgery will let us sit back for the rest of our lives without any work and keep us healthy and thin.  It is an ongoing process that takes tweaking and persistence.

I chose the DS because I knew it offered the metabolic change I needed for long term success, that restriction only would not work for me.  However, I cannot imagine you can eat nearly the same amount as you did before--I am thinking your mind is playing tricks on you.

I hope Janina will weigh in on this as she went for a revision from the band to the DS and had it in two parts.  She would be able to talk with you a bit about the difference in weight loss between the VSG and then what happened once the DS was done.

Good luck and know we support your journey.  Just as a quick side note, please get educated on the life long need for vitamin and protein supplementation you will need if you get the DS.

Janine P.
on 5/17/11 10:12 am - Long Island, NY
Hello and welcome to the DS forum.

Like Bonnie mentioned, I had my DS in two steps, so I had a VSG for a full year.  The VSG helped me lose only about 50 pounds within that year.  I'm only two weeks out from the hospital with my DS but just to give you an idea, I had to get weighed at my surgeon's office yesterday and from last Friday to yesterday, I lost 5 pounds.  I'm serious.  Like, whoa...

Maintaining the DS is much harder than the VSG, so please keep that in mind when you decide.  You'll be swimming in vitamins, but it's so worth it.

Please research the DS and ask us questions.  We would all be happy to help you.  PM me if you have any questions you'd like to ask in private.

Best of luck to you!!!

Janine   Me on Youtube 

AsuraDunnigan
on 5/17/11 10:52 am - Detroit, MI
thanks for the support. i will research and discuss with my surgeon.
Julie R.
on 5/17/11 2:16 pm, edited 5/17/11 2:19 pm - Ludington, MI
 I am a native Detroiter, and moved from the area six years ago.    It's my recollection that Dr. Wood has primarily been a RNY surgeon - and apparently, is now doing VSG's.  He is NOT a DS surgeon, and therefore is likely  not going to recommend a DS for you.    At your starting  BMI, you really were not a great candidate for the VSG to begin with.    Usually a malabsorptive component is neeeded.   In my opinion, and not just because he's my surgeon, but on seeing his patients' success on these boards and in real life, please look into Dr. Kemmeter at Grand Health Partners in Grand Rapids.   That's only a 2.5 hour drive for you, and ee is worth the drive.    Please PM me if you have anyl further questions.   Good luck to you!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

AsuraDunnigan
on 5/17/11 10:14 pm - Detroit, MI
I cant tell you how much i appreciate this info.  I'm going to check into it.
Ticker represents first goal.          
larra
on 5/17/11 12:20 pm - bay area, CA
Keep on with the research, both here and at dsfacts.com, but you may need to discuss this option with another surgeon. I've never heard of your VSG surgeon as someone who does the DS.
      And remember, this doesn't mean that you are a failure. A purely restrictive wls is not the best option for many people. A lot of weight regain is being seen with VSG patients after 4-5 years, even with many who have been very successful at the outset. Some surgeons think this problem will be corrected by making the sleeve even more narrow, but we don't yet if this will prevent weight regain or just postpone it.

Larra
Victorious_one
on 5/18/11 12:05 am - South Central, PA
Michigan is blessed to have four vetted DS surgeons practicing, and three of them are in the Detroit area (Troy, Bloomfield Hills and Auburn Hills).  Check out their listings on DSFacts.com under North American Surgeons.

I would agree with the other posters about feeling like a failure.  Being on a diet forever would not work for anyone.  Yes, we all need to change our eating habits, but restricting our intake over the long haul only slows our metabolism and makes losing and keeping the weight off even more difficult.  Frankly, I feel like most weight loss surgeries set the patients up for failure because there is no way they can maintain most of their weight loss over time, either because of the unreasonable dietary restrictions or because the surgery is only designed to help the patient achieve a minimal amount of success.  That's a sermon for another day.

I also agree that understanding the many requirements of having a DS (staying up to date on bloodwork, understanding trends and changes in your readings, being able to take required vitamins daily for life and to adjust them as needed based on blood work, and maintaining protein intake at 100+ grams per day) is totally serious, and dropping the ball in any area can cause serious problems.  Understanding it all intellectually is one thing, but trust me, living it day to day can be a true challenge.  If you're up for it, I'd say go for it!  If not, take all the time you need to consider your options.

Hang in there!  Also visit the Revision Board if you haven't, you may get more information there from people who have gone VSG to DS.

Nicole  Lab rata data link- One-half of a DS couple!  - I'M BELOW GOAL!
 http://bit.ly/DSExp  After a very rough start it's official--I my DS!  Romans 8:28 
Looking for DS information? Start at 
 http://bit.ly/newDS and DSFacts.com 
LilySlim - Personal pictureLilySlim Weight loss tickers         
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 309 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 774 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 258 views