questions..

ambermay
on 5/31/11 11:44 pm
I know I can prolly get all these answered at my 6 month appt on the 20th but I just figured I would ask here..

How soon after DS can you workout?  Questioning because I am signed up to take a power walking class at college starting in the fall and I am hoping to have surgery about a month before that...They can submit to the insurance company after my appt on the 20th..

How often do you get labs done after?  Every 3 months?  after a while do you slow down to every 6 months?  a year?

Thank you for any info.

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

Julie R.
on 6/1/11 12:04 am - Ludington, MI
I had my DS performed laparoscopically, and my doctor gave me no limitations as to how soon I could work out.     Of course, I started with simply walking, but was riding my bike by a week out.    Some people here on the board disagree with that, but I followed my doctor's guidelines on that one.   He gave me no limitations except 1) No skydiving  (!!!!!!) and 2) No swimming until the steri-strips fell off of my incisions.   

During your first year, you usually have labs done every three months.   Some doctors only require labs every year thereafter, but many are now turning to complete labs every six months.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

ambermay
on 6/1/11 12:08 am
Thank you!!

5'6" -- HW 270ish/SW 153.6/GW 150/CW 138
Amber

MarciRenee
on 6/1/11 1:08 am - IA
I had my surgery open and I think I was restricted from working out for 6 weeks.  There were more lifting restrictions though...I don't remember what they were.  I didn't have any desire to do anything more than light walking for months after my DS.  It was at least 2 months before I felt like myself.

I had labs run every 3 months my first year and I now have them run every 6 months.
Marci       
beemerbeeper
on 6/1/11 1:37 am - AL
I don't know your doctor but you should make sure you get all the labs you need and as often as you need them.  I did every 3 months for the first two years and will do every six months from here out.  My personal feeling is that a year is WAY too long to let something go because you aren't aware of it.

You have VitaLady's regimin and lab list, right? 

docs.google.com/Doc  (labs you need, dx codes, and ranges)

www.gblcreations.com/Resources/Gina/ProgramDRNY_ERNY_BPDDS3- 2010.pdf  (DS vitamin list starting point...you tweak based on your own labs)

I couldn't have power walked 4 weeks out but a lot of folks probably could have. 

I could use a power walking class now tho.  That sounds like fun.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 365 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views