3oz sleeve and a 150 common channel...

Renfairewench
on 7/18/11 10:23 am
I started out with a 2 ounce stomach and a 50 centimeter common channel because I asked my surgeon to be aggressive.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

nightowl
on 7/18/11 10:47 am - Topeka, KS
It sounds about average for what we are seeing DS surgeons do now (in about the last one year.  In contrast, ten years ago the DS sleeves were bigger and the common channel was 50-100 cm, most of the time).  For myself, I wanted a common channel of 100 cm.  I was willing to risk the increased chances of bathroom issues or vitamin issues.  I think my surgeon more commonly goes with something like 120-150 cm, but she was willing to go with the 100 I requested in a letter I wrote before my first appointment with her.  She said 100 was the lowest she will go.  If I were you, I would ask if he would go any shorter (esp. if your BMI is over 50), but then, from what I've heard of Dr. S., I doubt he would compromise.
butercup
on 7/18/11 10:55 am - Kennewick, WA
Ya, he didn't seem like he was going to budge.  I thought 150 was pretty standard though.

My BMI is now out of the 50's and into the 40's because of the weight I've lost in my pre-op diet.  I just want to get to my goal weight.

How do you feel about your 100?  Do you have a hard time with vitamin levels or bathroom issues?
MsBatt
on 7/18/11 11:06 am
My surgeon used the Hess method---he literaly measured my entire small intestine, divided it 60/40, and based on some calculation I can't recall, left me with a 90 cm CC. (My total small intestine was 690 cms.) My stomach was done free-hand---no bougie---and my operative report says "3-4 ounces."

I have NOT lost 100% of my excess weight, and doubt I ever will.
nightowl
on 7/18/11 2:29 pm - Topeka, KS
I love my 100 cm cc.  Part of what convinced me that I wanted to go that short is seeing that the common channel can lengthen.  Brok from this board had a bowel obstruction some time (? maybe a year) after DS, and got the same surgeon for the DS and the obstruction, Dr. Inman.  She measured it longer at the time of his obstruction than when she originally did his DS. 

I do have some issues with gas and ass trouble, but about what I expected.  I do still have to watch labs, but some things were off pre-op, to begin with.  One area where I'm glad that I don't have more than 100 cm for my common channel: I still absorbed well enough that 50k iu vit. D from Vitalady daily took my vit. D to >200 ng/ml.  I decreased the amount I was taking, but then next result was 43, if I recall correctly.  My personal goal on that is 80-120 ng/ml, so am still adjusting.
walter A.
on 7/18/11 10:52 am - lafayette, NJ
my cc is 200, as my intestine was particularly long,  it was explained to me that the cc needs to be calculated based on what you have and how you utilize it , then adjustment is determine to that .  this is done while you are on the table.  my sleeve is quite unique, so we wont go there, but everything is working perfectly, 
Angelina H.
on 7/18/11 12:34 pm

For Dr S those are standard for all his patients.  Same as mine and the others that I have talked to.

Elizabeth N.
on 7/18/11 12:40 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Bummer that he called it "aggressive" for her, then.

elixir
on 7/18/11 12:56 pm - MI
 I have a six oz stomach and a 100cm common channel.

I am not like I was before. I thought that nothing would change me. ~Sinead O'Connor

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 1:38 pm
On July 18, 2011 at 4:33 PM Pacific Time, butercup wrote:
Sound right? That's my surgeon's plan for me. He wants to be more aggressive because of my higher weight.

Does anyone else have that set up too?

Oh and I was down 9 lbs at my appointment. Not the 10 I was hoping for, but still very good. I'm down 25 lbs from the start of my pre-op diet. Yay! I'm getting to the middle of this. It feels more like the beginning of the end, but September is still a bit away isn't it.
Like others have said, different surgeons have different strategies. I was given an 8 oz stomach and 100 cm cc. I have almost no restriction, and I rely solely on my short gut.  If a 3 oz. sleeve will stretch out to what I have, then I would not want a standardized approach. I would go to a surgeon that would do the Hess method.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 370 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 822 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views