Erythritol? does it give us gas?

J G.
on 7/18/11 5:25 pm
Thought I'd better check this out before I go too wild with it.  It is in the Sobe Lifewater I like.  Fugi Apple Pear.  Yummy.
Frostbite25
on 7/18/11 6:00 pm
 Erythritol is a sugar alcohol. Some get gas and can't tolerate it. Others are ok with -tols. I for one haven't experienced issues yet. I am only 4 months out though. 

What I have learned so far is that our surgery is trial and error, we have to try things and see what works for us because everyone is different. 

When I try something new, I make sure its alone and give it time before I eat again to make sure it has no ill effect on me. 

Good luck!. 

WLS: Total lost 260 lbs - 03/14/11 Duodenal Switch with Dr. Mitchel Roslin
PS: 02/10/14 LBL w/ Anchor cut, Long Thigh Lift, Arm Lift, Breast Lift with Dr. Francisco Sauceda

Dr. Sauceda's Patient Group - Click here to Join

(deactivated member)
on 7/18/11 7:35 pm - Woodbridge, VA

It doesn't bother me, but I once made mini cheesecakes using erythritol as the sweetener and brought them to a DS potluck. Some people had no issues, but a couple didn't tolerate them well.

Of sugar alcohols, erythritol is the one LEAST likely to cause issues (of course, food manufacturers use it less because it's more expensive). However, I once read an explanation about WHY it is less likely to cause issues, and it had to do with absorption in the intestinal tract, which is why some DSers might not tolerate it any better than other sugar alcohols since our intestinal tracts are no longer normal.

I wish I liked the Sobe Lifewaters, but I've tried multiple flavors and always found them not flavored enough, like they were too watered down for my personal taste. Boo.

Kayla B.
on 7/18/11 11:21 pm - Austin, TX
It's caused a problem for me in the past, but not in the life waters.  That's my favorite flavor too :)
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Tassia
on 7/19/11 12:52 am
That one kicks my ass.  It bothered me before my DS, though, so I might just be extra sensitive to it.
*   Take 1 DS, add a little p90x and stir :)
5' 3"  HW 293/SW 253/Goal 130/CW 128

Elizabeth N.
on 7/19/11 2:21 am - Burlington County, NJ
It would torture me and everyone around me. YMMV.

J G.
on 7/19/11 5:14 am
Thanks everyone for all your imput!!!

This is a puzzlement.  Here is what wikipedia has to say:

Erythritol and human digestion

In the body, erythritol is absorbed into the bloodstream in the small intestine, and then for the most part excreted unchanged in the urine. Because erythritol is normally absorbed before it enters the large intestine, it does not normally cause laxative effects as are often experienced after consumption of other sugar alcohols (such as xylitol and maltitol) and most people will consume erythritol with no side effects. This is a unique characteristic, as other sugar alcohols are not absorbed directly by the body in this manner, and consequently are more prone to causing gastric distress.[4]

Erythritol is generally free of side-effects in regular use, but if consumed in large quantities (sometimes encouraged by its almost non-caloric nature), effectively consuming it faster than one's body can absorb it, a laxative effect may result. The laxative response does not begin until the body's natural absorption threshold is crossed, which is the point at which more erythritol has been ingested than is found in reasonable servings of food products and is usually a larger amount than most people will eat in a single sitting. Erythritol, when compared with other sugar alcohols, is also much more difficult for intestinal bacteria to digest, so it is unlikely to cause gas or bloating,[5] unlike maltitol, sorbitol, or lactitol. Allergic side effects can be itching with hives.[6]

Of course, this is for people with normal small intestines and ours would be a shorter length for it to be absorbed.  Maybe I haven't had any troubles thus far because I haven't consumed a whole bottle of the Lifewater yet.  Hmmm... guess I had better tread softly.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 319 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 781 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 259 views