Pregnancy after DS

Ckoch77
on 8/1/11 11:32 am - Mankato, MN
I am currently going for the Gastric Bypass but have wanted the Switch instead. My surgeon said if I want children after the surgery, it will be difficult to maintain the pregnancy with the Switch due to the nutrient loss. I have not found anything online agreeing with this. Does anyone have any idea about this? Please and Thank you!!
sweetpotato1959
on 8/1/11 11:40 am
 I had a multi surgery approach years ago. many have had babies after/ with radical surgeries.
   THAT'S why they make vitamins!   Get your weight off, your body will adjust. you may have to take more vitamins or eat an extra protein meal....chill it will be ok.
newyorkbitch
on 8/1/11 11:43 am
That is utterbull****  I am 11.5 years post-op and I had a healthy baby earlier this year.  Many DSers have had healthy babies.

What is very important to know is that you should not attempt to get pregnant for at least 2 years after surgery,  and until your weight is stable for at least 6 months (at least!).  And you MUST maintain healthy levels of vitmains and minerals and protein VIGILANTLY before you attempt to get pregnant.  Pregnancy will deplete your resources so you have to work very hard to  be very healthy before getting pregnant, and during your pregnancy you must be CRAZY VIGILANT about staying nourished and healthy.

You need to do a lot of research about the DS and what staying healthy as a DSer entails.

Nissa_M
on 8/1/11 3:50 pm - TX
Not what I was told by my surgeon, actually he said there was a study the showed that children of women who had the DS were healthier than a child carried by an obese person especially when GD is an issue. He did say that I should wait at LEAST 12-18 months and stay on top of my nutrient levels before trying to conceive. So that's what I plan to do. :)
jass28
on 8/1/11 10:51 pm - A Town, NJ
Tell your doctor that is completely inaccurate.  I know many DSrs that had healthy babies myself included.  In fact I am currently due with my second post op baby in a month.  I was one of those "special" cases.  I got pregnant 6 months post op (which I don't condone or recommend, mine was a huge OOPS) and was closely monitored throughout and had quite a normal pregnancy and a very healthy little boy.  I am now 3.5 years post op and 8 months pregnant.  I'll tell you had it not been for my DS I would have NEVER been able to be a mom.  I was with my husband for 9 years and we were never able to conceive.  I had PCOS and doctors told me if I wanted to be a mom I was going to need fertility treatments and possible in vitro.  Well I'll tell you I was 6 months post op and on birth control and it still happened.  With this second one it wasn't planned either but we weren't careful just that one month thinking what were the odds of getting pregnant and bam I was pregnant on the first try.  The DS has been my miracle.  I had the lapband and revised to the DS and it was the best decision I ever made.  My second pregnancy hasn't been as "normal" but my OB says it's not my DS, it's just that this pregnancy I've been faced with every pregnancy side effect but thus far my baby is growing wonderful and is actually measuring ahead.  And you know what's even better?  I haven't gained any weight with ths pregenancy.  With my first pregnancy I lost weight the entire pregnancy and was at goal 3 weeks after having the baby.  Moral of the story is that you can have very healthy pregnancies after the DS and I know many others who have.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Jessie T
on 8/2/11 6:08 am - Boonies, MN
I have four boys, the first three were pre DS the last one was post DS. He is perfect and is now 3 years old and smart as a whip. He was the smallest of my babies at 7lbs 4 oz and induced a week early because his brother was 13 days lateand  resulted him being 9lbs 9 oz!!!! He is right in the middle of the height/weight charts where the other boys were in the 90-95th on the height/weight charts.  My pregnancy with #4 was much easier and I felt like a cute pregg woman, not just a huge fat blob KWIM? I didn't tak any additional vites other than my regular routine (I was religious about taking them) and was only at goal for a few months and was 17 months out from my DS.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 356 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 814 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views