Anyone having problems with antidpressants post DS surgery?

LaurenR
on 12/4/11 8:54 pm - Kemptville On, Canada
Hi everyone
sorry it's been so long since I have popped in here to say hi.
Hope your all doing well.
I am now 3 years post-op and still at goal but having major issues with my antidepressant not working well and finding ones that do. I know that time release is not good but no one seems to know what ones work best after DS. I have been on Bupropion XL for 4 years and for the past year I have felt the effects not helping and today as I type I am in a bad place with my anxiety and depression. I see my doctor next week and hopefully I can get some info here from you  that might help him guide me to a better quality of life.
 So I guess what I am asking is if you are in a similar situation and have found things that work for you I would be every so grateful if you could share that info with me to pass on to my Shrink. What non time release meds work for you?
Thanks in advance
LaurenR

Surgery Aug 2008   Start weight 309lbs  June 2012  Present weight 125lbs

2009 update pic shown here.

Alusien
on 12/4/11 9:46 pm - Waxahachie, TX
I tried Wellbutrin but didn't like how it stopped me from dreaming.

Right now I'm on 50mg of generic Zoloft and it seems to keep me perking along fine.

LaurenR
on 12/4/11 9:57 pm - Kemptville On, Canada
I still dream on occassion but my biggiest problem is sleeping period I wake up every 1/2  hour or hour not getting much sleep at all maybe total of 2 to 3 hours a day .Not good to say the least.
 Is Zoloft a time release med?

Alusien
on 12/4/11 10:50 pm - Waxahachie, TX
As far as I can tell it's not a time release formula.

I tend to suffer from shallow-sleep insomnia (what you're describing) due to my Hashimoto's, but the Zoloft helps quite a bit.

Have you tried melatonin?  It's a bit hit or miss for me, but when it works it's awesome.

PatXYZ
on 12/5/11 9:29 am
I recently discovered that the sleeping problem I have is delayed sleep phase disorder and started taking melatonin for it 2 weeks ago. Last night, for the first time in years I got to sleep before midnight and woke on a work day without my alarm. I can't believe the difference it has made!
LaurenR
on 12/6/11 6:12 pm - Kemptville On, Canada
I did try that a few years back maybe worth another try, I need sleep!! LOL
TY

Blank Out
on 12/4/11 10:49 pm
 This seems to be common after DS or GB.  Are docs just afraid to perscribe us higher doses?  Because, then they could order a blood level to see if that is where we need to be!  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

LaurenR
on 12/6/11 6:16 pm - Kemptville On, Canada
I take mine 3 times a day to try to keep it in my system but that apparently isn't working anymore.
Surely they must be able to do testing on our serotonin  and what ever levels etc  to know what our body needs.

Elizabeth N.
on 12/4/11 11:38 pm - Burlington County, NJ
I use Wellbutrin SR, which is the medium-long release, and that seems to work. I also use Effexor ER and plain trazodone. It adds up to a lot of antidepressant medication total, which I seem to need for effective management.

LaurenR
on 12/6/11 6:33 pm - Kemptville On, Canada
Wow you on a lot ...But what ever works eh!
I use Wellbutrin SR presently as well (Generic name is Bupropion SR)
I take 150mg 3 times a day.I was taking 5mg of CO Olanzapine at night but didn't do a thing for me.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 481 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 902 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 2 replies · 303 views