Bad odor due to WLS or ???

Tracie Shelton
on 6/2/12 11:04 am - TX
I am 3 1/2 years post-op. I don't believe I had any odor issues before surgery. In the past few months I have been told (by different people on different days) that I smell like V8, okra, pickles, broccoli.... What is the deal?? This is sooo embarrassing! I can't determine if it is my body or my breath. Is this common?? Is there something I can do?? I bathe every day and brush my teeth at least twice a day! I work in a hospital with patients, so perfume is not an option. I am wondering if it could be because of all the vitamins?? Or is it just a chemical change from the surgery?
He who can't be Named
on 6/2/12 6:12 pm
 I've never heard of anything like that. I know we can get bad breath when we are in a rapid losing phase right after surgery, from ketosis, but you are too far out for that. I know if farts get too horrid, it can also be from an imbalance in the gut that antibiotics can clear up. 

Just a thought - being 3.5 post op, do you have much hanging skin? Ever get infections or raw under the folds? I know yeast type infections can get going under there, and that can smell off.

Do you use a front loading clothes washer? Those can get a bad smell, and impart all your clothes with it until you do a clean out cycle. Just a wild guess, as I'm at a loss as to what it could be.

You know, there are worse things to smell like than veggies.

Some times dingle berries are the lowest hanging fruit.  
Valerie G.
on 6/2/12 10:54 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
That's a wide range of veggies to be compared to!
I got nothin - but I'd be guessing its something you're eating

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Blank Out
on 6/3/12 11:52 am
 Do you use probiotics?  

HW/ 302  SW/287  CW/140  GW/135

Lori F.
on 6/3/12 11:54 am - Chula Vista, CA
 Do a search here on OH. I remember reading about a woman who was also told she had a strange odo after DSr. She determined it was not her breath or gas. She said it was emanating off her. I'll look too...
Pre-band highest weight: 244
Pre-band surgery weight: 233
Lowest: 199 ( for, like, a day)
CW:
260 (yes, with the band!) 
Current Fill: 5cc in 10cc band
BMI: 49
Lori F.
on 6/3/12 11:59 am - Chula Vista, CA
buffalobillsfan
on 6/4/12 12:55 am - CA

There was a woman on here that had body odor issues that ended up in a revision surgery.  We all speculated and contributed suggestions for a few months before she got to the source of the issue.  Her profile is lwillis22 and here is one post from her that sums up the issue

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/ds/4394714/A-legit-Post-op -BO-question/#36332108

Hi, Wow to read this brings back some bad memories. I too had a horrible body odor coming from my skin after surgery. However, I was different. I had RNY and regained my weight. So, I had a "revision" done to what I was told the intestinal portion of the DS. Long story but he really screwed me up cus I started having abdominal pain and body odor. Well, my intestines were hooked up on the wrong side so food was sitting stagnant in my intestine. This was only discovered by Dr. K who did a full DS on me. The odor was very odd and yes it was described as a sour milk smell before. It was also described many other ways too. I could not smell this nor could most of my family and my son. My co workers were the ones who smelled it and were complaining to my boss. I was so humiliated! It scares me every time I hear of someone else having similar issues as I don't ever want that to come back. I hope you are successful in finding out what is going on and keep us posted.

Good luck.  I hope you find the issue. 

Cathy

AllieInOntario
on 6/5/12 12:21 am
I know I felt my body "smelled" different for a while after surg.  FWIW, what our body does with food after surg probably causes the chemistry to change.  Maybe thus a difference, be it slight and perhaps un-noticable, or more obvious to us because we know our body is changing.

I do know too, that even before surg, if I age garlic, my skin smelled of it for days afterwards.  Just the way my body is made, I guess.   You might want to try a light skin cream with a very small or  almost non existant fragrance, or water down a day time body lotion fragrance like Pink Sugar or something to give yourself a different smell.
Pick your surgery first, then your surgeon. Not the other way around.  
PS:... Potato chips should be a food group.

I'm tired of screwing with that damn health widget.
 I've lost 125 pounds to date!!!!
   And I'm UNDER 190 now!!! 

(deactivated member)
on 6/5/12 3:24 am - WA
I have not had this surgery but I am freaking and paranoid about smelling bad so I regularly wipe my shoulders and arms down with my deoderant. I use a deoderant that smells like soap.
megalow
on 10/3/14 7:41 am

I am ten years post op and havebeen dealing with occasional odor for ten years. The do for does not take my complaints seriously. I can't smell the odor, only some people can smell it. It's been described as garbage, dirty sweat socks, rotten sour milk... As far as I can tell I can't eat garlic, onions, cauliflower, asparagus, green leafy veggies, beans, or soy?? Did you find an Answer?? It it taxing and humiliating.

Most Active
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 12 views
Recent Topics
Old timer dropping by! (2006)
maryc543 · 1 replies · 12 views
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 1088 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 9 replies · 1264 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 5 replies · 517 views