protein shakes

BRENDALOU
on 7/20/12 12:08 am - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12
I have not has surgery yet i have it on the 30 of July, i bought some  bariatric advantage shakes and had one yesterday and today and about an 30 min or an hour later i get nauseated for most of the day. is this normal.

teachmid
on 7/20/12 5:03 am - OKC, OK
Not sure. But, I do know your tastes will change after surgery, I like the Champion chocolate, even the new formulation, you might get some samples from Vitalady.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MajorMom
on 7/20/12 8:06 am - VA
Yep, try some samples. Syntrax Nectar chocolate is pretty good. Make it with a little milk or 1/2 & 1/2 and water. Plain water might not work for you. Any protein shake can be pretty rich so sip them slowly.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

mrsannie
on 7/20/12 8:54 am
 It didn't make me sick pre-op, but post-op they make me very gassy, TMI I know.

Most of us have to do a liquid diet before surgery so you should investigate one that agrees with you.  For my 2 week liquid diet I used the Champion chocolate, it was pretty good.  Now I eat my protein and don't drink protein drinks.

Good luck to you!

Nothing will change if you don't have the courage to change it!
      And stop calling me "Shirley!"    
Valerie G.
on 7/20/12 9:17 pm - Northwest Mountains, GA
 If you have lactose intolerance, you want to be wary that whey protein is a dairy product.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Fran-I Am
on 7/20/12 9:57 pm
I second the Syntrax Chocolate Truffle and also love Jay Robb's Pina Colada.

SW 1012/11 265#  CW 10/10 142#
JazzyOne9254
on 7/24/12 2:40 pm, edited 7/26/12 5:35 am
 Lactose intolerance might be an issue immediately post op.  I was LI as a pre op, and it got worse post op.  My surgeon said it's fairly common for DSers. I use whey protein isolate, since most of the lactose is processed out of it. Syntrax Nectar uses whey protein isolate. I buy plain unflavored in bulk, and flavor my own shakes with extracts, dark coaco powder, decaf hazelnut coffee, fruit, etc.

Syntrax unflavored is called Nectar Medical, I think.  Isopure also has an unflavored WPI.  I use Now Sports WPI.  I order ten pound bags of it from Lucky Vitamin.  They also have some of the fat solubles we need at the ultra-high potencies.  I also use Vitalady for some, and ProHealth for some.  Wherever I can get the best price, that's where I buy from.  When I need a little just to tide me over till the next big order, I go to my local health food store, which sells one and two pound unbranded, bulk bags.  They also carry the Now Sports WPI, but it's cheaper by mail order and in large quantity.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

MajorMom
on 7/24/12 8:25 pm - VA
Like, like, like!  Spot on!

Lactose usually isn't an issue with the better quality whey protein isolate powders.  Sytrax Nectar, JayRobb whey, Isopure, and Unjury are about the only ones left with isolate as their first ingredient. :(

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Crazeru
on 7/25/12 8:20 am
I was LI going in and out, and came out whey intolerant too.  I use Optimum EggWhite protein shakes.  Only comes in Rich Chocolate and Vanilla Custard, but I add PB, bananas, vanilla, dark choc powder and a variety of flavored syrups... carmel and english toffee lately.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 333 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 799 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 268 views