No more oil slicks...is my DS broken?

JazzyOne9254
on 11/17/12 10:05 pm

At nearly 4 years out, I no longer have oil slicks.  Does this mean that my DS is "broken"?

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

A. C
on 11/17/12 10:25 pm

According to my GI, at some point our bodies will "adapt" to our new configuration.  Some people will take a couple of years some 5 some more than that.   As you know, I'm a newbie, he's helped me so much, calls and checks on me. 

Why don't you try eating some "margarine" rather than butter?  Any margarine or fake butter will create the oil slicks.  It's my understanding that any trans fat will cause the oil slicks.

JazzyOne9254
on 11/18/12 4:37 am

I don't need or want the oil slicks.  Even with me being almost 4 years out, and having experienced them when I first got my surgery, I had been wondering for some time if I should still be seeing them. 

Trust me, I still eat plenty of fat! 

leanmama
on 11/17/12 11:53 pm - St Louis , MO
DS on 03/26/13

WHAT IS AN OIL SLICK?  IS THAT NORMAL FOR POST ? I AM PRE  OP HAD MY VSG 2 YEARS AGO AND PENDING FUNDING FOR DS

A. C
on 11/18/12 1:12 am, edited 11/18/12 2:34 am

It's part of the DS.  It's when you POO and there is oil in the toilet-floating.  It can be really gross depending on what you eat.  It's part of this surgery.  Don't let the dietician in your surgeon's office convince you otherwise.  By reading and learning, for me it happens when I have something eating out (where I'm sure margarine is used) or fast food.  I can count on them then as well as leaking from it so I have to wear pads.  It's all part of the process.  Mine is much better than at first!

JazzyOne9254
on 11/18/12 4:29 am

Now that you've got the explanation of an oil slick, let me put my two cents in.  Not everyone has to wear pads or incontinence briefs because of them.  That's another bad myth that serves to undermine the DS as a viable WLS option.

Some post ops have them, some don't.  It kind of all depends on how much fat you eat.  If you keep it right at the 20% you're going to absorb anyway, no probs.  It would take a science math genius to be that precise, though! 

We regular folks generally get in the ballpark and leave it at that!

A. C
on 11/18/12 5:21 am

I hope that I don't always have to wear pads!  For now, if I go out to dine, I do not want to be without one.

Sunshine16
on 11/19/12 9:21 am

You will not need to where pads, unless you drink a whole bottle of oil or something.  The first couple of years, your body is adjusting, but "TRUST" its nothing you can not handle.  Every so often I get oil slicks, but nothing major that I need a pad.

I ate some greasy fried chicken, nothing major, haven't had greasy food for a while.  You will adapt, but I am so happy.....extremely issue happy about my choice.  I look and feel, awesome!

SW / CW / GW 292 / 188 / 174 - Height 5'7, Size 10

puppysweets1
on 11/20/12 11:37 pm - CA

Keep in mind there is a difference between oil slicks (seeing oil float on the water in the toilet after you poop) and anal leakage which could result in oily poop in your pants.  Oil slicks in the toilet are a common occurrence with DEers and completely normal.  Anal leakage is a different ballgame and if that is the problem you are having then wearing a pad seems reasonable.  Another potential remedy is to increase the fiber in your diet so that the oil has something to mix into or bind to.  A long time ago someone posted on this board how eating fiber wasn't just for constipation and said the fiber can give you more 'bulk" in your poop and help with not having to squeeze your anus shut so hard all the time to avoid oily leakage.  That turned out to be great advice IMO. 

its-killen-me
on 11/18/12 2:25 am - Selkirk, Canada
DS on 06/14/12

I had the oil slick happen frequently for the first 3 months post op.  Never had leaking problems.  The oil slicks have stopped now and It hasn't happened for over a month now.  I hope that is the end of that.  I think I am lucky having it stop so soon.  I use margarine almost every day not much though.  I find I have not been eating enough fats lately which has caused some constipation, I have added it back in and that problem has ended.  This Ds is such a great tool, I love it.

Dr. Jamie Ponce de Leon - Medical guide Laurie Wolf Received money Never showed up - Only thing booked were flights.  Surgeon and Medical team, and hospital were awesome .  There is another Medical guide named Trish she is good.  PM me for info.    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 682 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1005 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 338 views