Any fellow Ontario Canada mbrs successfully request DS?

Armyguy1976
on 11/27/12 11:31 pm - Kingston, Canada
RNY on 09/10/13

Morning all,

I'm currently hovering around 40-41 BMI with Co morbs incl the always fun Sleep Apnea I've been approved as a candidate for WLS by the military(CF member the past 16 years) and while my surgery will be paid privately thru DND Blue Cross federal program the military is not equipped to handle the surgery in house so i'm referred to the Regional assessment Centre here in Kingston Ontario. I'm well versed in what WLS entails and I'm positive the Ontario health care system will be pushing RNY procedure on me as it's pretty much the provinces standard.  I'm dead set on DS as the right tool for me, with my requirement for NSAIDS throughout my career and my inability to control the time, portions and type of food sometimes dictated by my career(My tour in Afghan, and Haiti as examples) I need a more forgiving diet ,

I am wondering if anyone else has successfully argued for DS over RNY and if they think at 40ish BMI I am a good candate?  The blood work/vitamin regiment would not be a issue as my easy access to medical care thru the military is a benefit of my job.

I've tried to go the self pay route but the military does not allow me to self pay for a surgery they didn't refer me to. I would lose my job if there were 'self inflicted" complications

Any advice would be great!

Referal Feb 2011, Orientation Dec 5 2012, Nurse Prac Jan 8th 2013, Dietitian Jan 9th 2013, Social worker Jan 10th 2013, Ultra sound Jan 20th 2013, CT scan Feb 4th 2013, Scope Feb 5th 2013 .... Surgeons apoint June 12 2013, Pre Op Class June 26 2013, PATTS Aug 20 2013, RNY surgery Sept 10th 2013

larra
on 11/28/12 1:07 am - bay area, CA

Put in a specific request to have your consultation with Dr. Hong, the only surgeon in Ontario doing the DS. I keep forgetting what city he's in, though I know it's not Toronto. Someone on the Ontario forum would surely know if no one responds here.

Make a big deal about your ongoing need for NSAIDs, and also with the potential dietary difficulties and need to be able to eat a broad range of foods due to your military service. Because you are right, if you don't push, they are going to push RNY at you.

Best of luck!

Larra

weebuddy
on 11/28/12 3:48 am - Grimsby, Canada
DS on 12/19/12
Dr. Hong practices out of St. Joseph's Hospital in Hamilton. Good luck!
Jaiart
on 11/29/12 3:36 am - MI
There is a gentleman here from Canada who came to Mich to have the surgery. I will get you his info ASAP.

Jaiart
on 11/29/12 10:09 pm, edited 11/30/12 6:11 am - MI
Search for a member named zappre. And a member named either Dave B. or Dave_DS. They are both Canucks.

Julia HasHerLifeNow
on 11/30/12 4:33 pm
VSG on 10/09/12
I think, if memory serves me, Patxyz had a DS paid for by OHIP...but I wouldn't swear to it. Contact her though. She knows the ropes. And good luck!!!

View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com 5ft0; highest weight 222; surgery weight 208; current weight 120

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 2 replies · 739 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 1037 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 4 replies · 348 views