TSH

BRENDALOU
on 1/14/13 5:26 am - Oklahoma City, OK
DS on 07/30/12

I called my PCP because I am losing my hair like no other. I have to clean out my drain in the middle of my shower to get it to drain bc i am loosing so much hair. so my dr ordered a T****hought she was just crazy, I have never in all my life had (40 years) have had any thyroid issues. my tsh have been normal all my life. so i got the results back to day and my TSH was 0.399 range is 0.550-4.780. so what dose the DS have to do with my thyroid i am 6 month out of surgery.

southernlady5464
on 1/14/13 6:17 am

It has nothing to do with your DS...and is just as likely to have tanked anyway. Mine did..both my T4 and my T3. It's just that the timing sucks pond water...

The up side is that it is VERY treatable! I take my thyroid meds in the middle of the night potty run to not bump into any other vitamins/meds/FOOD!

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

Herman
on 1/14/13 6:20 am

From what I've read in the past, One has nothing to do with the other.

You are just one of the "lucky" people. Chances are though that you will absorb less of the thyroid meds then a normy. So make sure your PCP keeps that in mind as he adjusts your dosage of the hormone.

Lap-band 2007
 DS 2009
southernlady5464
on 1/14/13 6:22 am

That's true that it can affect the absorption of the meds...apparently tho my dose is fine pre and post op. But others I know have had to adjust their dosage.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

H.A.L.A B.
on 1/15/13 1:51 am

Low TSH means that your thyroid is overactive. But not too much. For underactive thyroid they give the syntroid - yur body makes enough... it may be a result of you losing weight and the body decided not to make too much thyroid hormons...

TSH - is the thyroid stymulating hormone - it tells the thyroid to make more when TSH is high . With low TSH - the body detects almost too much thyroid hormones in your blood stream..

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 347 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 804 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 270 views