Question about Lactaid

OmahaMama
on 2/9/13 11:34 pm - NE

For those of you who are lactose intolerant, is lactaid milk a good option? If not what is the best milk replacement?

Does soy milk cause problems with weight loss? soy milk = estrogen = slow weight loss?

Thanks

Jaiart
on 2/9/13 11:54 pm - MI
Folks here use various variations; soy milk, heavy cream cut with water, almond milk, etc... I've never tried the lactaid so I can't really speak to that but read the nutritional content and if it's good then te it out and monitor your results.

beemerbeeper
on 2/10/13 12:26 am - AL

I have found that I can ONLY do heavy cream.  All the milk replacements seem to have too many carbs for my system and/or give me TERRIBLE gas.  It is okay.  There are other foods I have given up too.  All worth it to be HEALTHY.

~Becky

OmahaMama
on 2/10/13 10:25 am - NE

J G.
on 2/10/13 2:51 pm

I love the Lactaid milk!  Also the cottage cheese.  Sometimes I get the Lactaid chocolate milk for a special treat.

b1751
on 2/10/13 2:52 pm

I had some problems with lactose giving me gas very early out, so I bought the Lactaid milk.  I found it to taste terrible!  I've drank Almond milk and Coconut milk before and would choose coconut milk hands down as far as taste goes.  But Almond milk wasn't bad either.

Thankfully after about 6wks out, my lactose issues resolved and I'm able to drink regular milk again.

Lap DS with Dr. Kemmeter 12/17/12

HW: 274.5 -- SW: 266 -- GW: 130?

southernlady5464
on 2/10/13 9:09 pm

I am still lactose intolerant. I don't drink milk...lactaid just did NOT "float my boat" and the other options just did not suit my tastes. I do use half & half...and I cook with it instead of milk.

I did use lactaid pills the first year...have been able to ease off since then.

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

OmahaMama
on 2/11/13 2:03 am - NE

I'll have to experiment and see what works best for me seems like lol

JazzyOne9254
on 2/11/13 9:12 am, edited 2/11/13 9:12 am

I used store brand Lactose-free milk early out, and then Lactaid pills (generics) and the pills worked fine.  The milk can get to be rather expensive, and the pills plus regular milk a little cheaper.  The pills are available as store brand generics (dairy digestive enzyme), and that's a little cheaper.  My favrite place, Walmart has both, and that's where I usually go for the milk and OTC multis and calcium  that I need.

I just use straight milk now.  I'm 4 years out, and I really am not bothered by milk anymore...but anything dairy for me hasa to be full fat...lowfat and skim products really give me gas.  The higher the fat content in dairy, the lower the sugar (lactose) content.

HW 405/SW 397/CW 138/GW 160  Do the research!  Check the stats!
The DS is *THE* solution to Severe Morbid Obesity!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 361 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 8 replies · 820 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 271 views